AR offside video from england

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Oct 12, 2017.

1. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to take this test in real life. I think I'm a pretty good AR, but the confirmation would be nice.

3. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I had to take a similar test once at a clinic I went too.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I did too and it significantly changed the way I judge offside as an AR. Really eye-opening.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were players onside more than you expected?

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes. As I recall, every single one I missed was thinking they were offside when in fact (as demonstrated by slow-mo replay) they were not. The test was augmented by some stuff about visual processing, i.e. how the brain interpolates positions of moving objects, and how it contributes to this sort of error.

The takeaway for me was a very strong confirmation of the "tie goes to the attack" and "if in doubt keep the flag down" mantras.

But of course when you're AR1 and the defense's coach is standing right behind you and his wee brain is subject to the same error ... :rolleyes:

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    ^^^

They have brains? The things I learn on this forum!

dadman, IASocFan and sulfur repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    In the same sense that cats and the air suspension system in my new Jeep have brains - they occasionally do otherwise inexplicable things just to amuse themselves.

dadman repped this.
  9. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I disagree with some of this, mainly because if I say he's offside, he's offside..."ITOOTR" and all that
    ;)

10. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The biggest takeaway of the test is be sure that you are certain before putting your flag up. With the speed of higher level soccer, its always easy to miss one small piece of information that would show that the player is onside.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It's more than that. It's not just missing a piece of information. If that were so, we would tend to get on- and offside both wrong by similar percentages. But we actually tend to err, as @code1390 guessed above, by "seeing" the moving attacker in the OSP at the critical moment when she's not actually there yet. The way the brain works, it basically fills in some blanks in how we see moving objects, and that tends to make us get it wrong in that way. That's why it's not just "be sure," but also "tie goes to the attack," because the attacker, especially a swiftly moving attacker, will almost always be just onside when your eye tells you she was just off.

dadman and seattlebeach repped this.
  12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Exactly. If you are not sure or even if you think it’s close offside (again with a fast-moving attacker) and you keep your flag down, you’ll be right a lot more often. If the offside line is moving up, even more so.

Ultimately, it is less odious to allow an offside attacks to continue than it is to pull good goals out of the net.

dadman repped this.