Apr. 22, 2017 BMG (no Johnson) v BVB (Pulisic starts)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Midas Mulligan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the Balon d'OR! It hit my this week that CP will be a super star inside the US sooner than later. I walked into our lounge at work this week and two coworkers were plopped on a couch watching BVB's champions league clash. I sarcastically asked what are you guys doing not thinking they really knew CP.. Almost simultaneously they answered Pulisic! They both told me they had to come upstairs to check him out. This was coming from two casual soccer fans at best. Then it hit me.........this kid is going to be a superstar. He is going to be what we thought Landon Donovan was destined to be. That is not a knock against Donovan. CP Will be a global superstar

bct81, Eighteen Alpha and orcrist repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Pulisic has been effective on the right this year, but I think he's far more comfortable on the left as today showed. It's odd, his crossing with his off left foot seems to be more accurate than his right.

3. extremerouge

extremerouge New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Dembele doesn't like pulisic? Is this true?

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    A lot of posters who frequently watch Dortmund notice that Dembele never seems to pass to CP, gets in his way, doesn't play well with him, etc. So likely no, it's just circumstantial evidence and fans' frustration that became a little joke.

wixson7 and Bajoro repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    On a different day, CP has 3 assists and a goal.

Anyone know who announced this match? Didn't recognize the voice.

6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some damn Canadian was the color guy.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  8. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounded like Derek Rae given his ambivalence about how to pronounce CP's name -- vacillating between the Euro "Poolisich" and the actual "Poolisic". ;) However, I think Derek is still over on ESPN.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on which stats.

10. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sam Hamwich and dcochran repped this.
  11. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek was one of the first commentators for the Revs in the early MLS days. He was very good but knew enough about football to know he couldn't watch MLS 1.0 every week. He barely had an accent on his broadcasts. When he started broadcasting Euro matches it took a while to believe it was the same guy his brogue was so thick.

12. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Unfortunately, correlation is not causation. Dembele only seems to like to pass to Auba. He ignores everyone else, not just Christian. Could be he just thinks Auba is a proven goalscorer so he's willing to pass to someone who he believes can finish.

13. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    And in contrast, my local news, in reporting the bomb blast didn't mention that there was an American on the team, and just yesterday on CNBC, they talked about the financial put option aspect of the bombing, with again, no mention that there was an American on the team. I mean if any other top American athlete from baseball, basketball or football had been on the bus, you know they'd have mentioned it. So, we've still got a ways to go before CP is a household name.

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Kevin McKenna likes to suck the air through his teeth for a full second before commenting, eh.

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

The conspirators would have plenty of data to back that up, however; I am not a believer that's the whole truth.

What I see are a few things, that might inspires people to think that way.

(1) Dembele, right now, is playing pretty selfishly. Maybe with time, that will improve. He continuously kept dribbling into a wall of 3/4 defenders instead of making a pass or cross.

(2) Dembeles loves to run with his head down; again, with experience and coaching, this should also improve. You see many times that a simple pass or layoff would open other attacking opportunities.

(3) He's always looking for the veterans. Hopefully, with more games under his belt and some fine coaching, he'll learn to make the more intelligent and effective passes to players that are in a better position to either finish or produce that final pass/cross instead of always looking for the veteran strikers with a final pass.

Winoman repped this.