Appropriate or not to ask people for first hand club reviews?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by smontrose, Feb 20, 2019.

1. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from parent and player aspect... If not, via private message? I certainly don't want anyone making the poo fling public.

lmk

2. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as in here, this discussion board...

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Haven't we already been doing that - or at least I have :eek:

4. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol.. sorry but I'm too new to understand all your acronyms and initials to identify the usual suspects!
    I'm probably also looking for different answers? (denial)!

very frustrating :(

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    What clubs do you want info on? Why - is it for you or/and your player?

6. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I think if you have a question about specific clubs, go ahead and ask. People would be free to PM you if they don't want to post in public.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kid is 04 boy, Sockers
    looking for club/coach that will take time one on one with player, teach specific mechanics for different skilss , evaluate, give feedback, challenge the player to give more, throw him in with older players, better players to evaluate... Not just pass kids from practice station to station... You know, real coaching stuff.
    Maybe a club that isn't always recruiting outside players for their highest squads...
    must have a reasonably large 04 player pool.
    Maybe a club that allows some sort of avenue for parents to communicate with coaches, periodoc player evals, yearly parent survey.
    We live in NW Suburbs.

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm not going into much here because most of it's already been said by me.

We moved from Sockers after a combined 9 years between 2 girls. My youngest starting there when she was 6.

We moved to CSA this year - new team, club, location and coaches. Not an easy thing for a younger 05 who is relatively quiet and shy.

Glad we moved - CSA is everything I thought Sockers was and should have been while I was drinking the koolaid. We'd never go back - despite multiple parents asking us if we would. But to be fair I started my homework on the club and coach early on (March 2017). As a parent I wanted the best fit for what would keep that passion alive for my player.

CSA Coaches are fantastic - my daughter has trained with many of them and her particular coach, the DOC and one other coach are just incredible. She's trained with 4 others and liked them a lot but they have not coached games yet. The DOC is on a goldmine of talent out there - especially with Campton and SFV having to merge because they are losing talent very fast. Our retention is around 98% and we have had many players testing the waters this winter so the expectation is big growth.

I've ran a club and coached on and off for 16 years. I have two daughters and seen the lowest and highest of play on the girls side. I have never seen a club like CSA get it so right primarily because they take things slow, listen to parents, develop players and focus on the business end heavily. I have had many conversations with the DOC and his approach is just that - take it slow, listen to your customers and get it right the first time.

9. CLFutball

CLFutball New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    What you are looking for does not exist. As always the most important factor in development is up to the kid (working on his own daily); however, if you want to provide the kid the best opportunity to reach fullest potential you need to hire a private coach for training in addition to the club training. If budget is not an issue, Sockers is as good/better a club as anywhere else but more important is you will want your son to play at the highest level team he can get into in NISL Premier league or YSSL MRL (or whatever it's now called).

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #10 VolklP19, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    I don't at all agree with a private coach unless its for strength and conditioning.

If your club is not offering the right opportunities then that is on them. I can however see a player looking for more time on the ball - un-organized play which is what happens everywhere else in the world. That (IMO) is far better then private lessons for 80% players who are not playing serious ball after high school.

I do agree that the there is no such thing as the perfect club. But the way I see it is:

8-10 years old should be about fun and basic development skills. At this age you want to stress fun to keep the players coming back. At this level you want the best coach who can do both.

11-13 years old you want both that great coach and the best player pool - hopefully a higher level then your player if you are lucky becuase that will likely motiviate your player to push harder.

14-High School you want a club that presents a refined "style" of play that ties everything together. This is where your Sockers and Eclipse come in - but I would argue only for the top 3% of players. Costs are huge and so is the commitment. Great experience but if you are honest with yourself, it may not be your kids cup of tea. There are MANY delusional parents out there - those who tried to get us back to Sockers are good examples... "Maybe [insert daughters name] will make DA next year" is the common statement. Take a step back - put the koolaid down. What you have at these top clubs are top players and then the rest - led on with training sessions with the DA team or top ECNL team to keep them from looking outside. Shit just this past week two parents told me that their kids can't play on my 3v3 teams because they are affraid one of this club may get upset if they are caught playing outside any club based programming.

11. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Long time reader, first time poster. Glad to see so much Chicago based posts. Daughter plays for a IWSL A 07 club, so can't speak much on the boys side. But have seen enough to know that DA/ECNL is not the top of pecking order at younger ages in terms of development. Eclipse teams at 06,07 are far from impressive. I think development starts with your kid and the parent who has a passion for the game. Coaches only can help so much.

Having said that, how many teams does your coach have oversight on? That makes a big difference as far as a time commitment. What other development is offered besides youtube drills? Does your kid practice with other older kids, scrimmage etc. How long are practices? What does your winter look like? Kids gets feedback from the coach? Can you schedule a meeting to discuss your kids, big red flag if no. How are the younger and older teams as you get a grasp on the overall club and strength of the club? I think being part of a club that has strength in numbers is good as far as coaches.

On a non DA/ECNL club, often a top level A licensed coach can develop a group for several years and build chemistry and skills. Think of Stavaru and their boys who learned great foot skills at a young age but were not good in W/L department.

I have been impressed by ELA (NW burbs), Evolution, Team Chicago, Galaxy, CSA, Chicago Inter as far as midsize clubs who can compete and often more technically sound than ECNL/Da teams at this age. Most of these teams are manned by coaches who know what they are doing. Bigger is not always better.

12. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stavaru could have been the best club in Naperville. But as usual, politics ruined it. Chip almost had it all put together.

13. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Some of the disciples started Windy City Rampage btw

14. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    CSA's tentacles are in Illinois now too or did you move to Ohio?

VolklP19 repped this.
  15. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone with first hand experience with FCU. Reading these threads seems like they have some issues from the Operational and staffing standpoint. Wondering if it's possible for the player to get a positive experience...

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    One of my closest mates in HS was at Sockers. His kid got bounced for an inferior coaches kid at the DA level (heard this was actually the case from 2 other dads). Anyhow, he took both his boys to FCU as a result and was back with both of them after a half a season - said it was a cluster f**k over there.

I also know 2 other boys who left Sockers that were excetionally good players - top of the DA teams and they have had great experiences - so much that the family eventually brought their daughter over from Sockers as well. Shes seems she's doing well - as well.

I think the issue at both clubs is that if you are a top player - you'll get the attention. If not then you're just a number.

17. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    I agree and disagree with parts of this.

A club can offer what players are looking for depending on the their goal IMO...

If the goal is DA / ENCL / D1 then outside training beyond the club has to happen. Either training on their own or private training combined fun stuff like un-organized play and 3v3 or futsal leagues / tournaments.

If the goal is high school varsity then most clubs offer plenty.

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am not sure where we disagree with this?

Maybe I was not clear but I completely agree with what you have stated above.

19. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    My mistake. Just reread what you wrote.

VolklP19 repped this.