Apertura 2011

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by El Washatero, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beasly y su alma.

Y la marca, 'apa?

2. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cabrera perdio la cabeza.

fol

3. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only positive i take away from this game was the way Cortes played after he moved more to the midfield. That caught me by surprised because i was expecting Memo to bring on Campos for Herrera or Servin and have him play Cabrera's position, but instead he brought Castro to play in Cortes position and moved Cortes to the midfield

That really gave the team the salida we've been missing since Palencia has been injured

Cortes really is just a mediapunta that has been played as a winger by necessity. He's done well there, but the team is pretty thin up top

It might be a good idea to play him like they did the 2nd half and have castro play the wings to give the team more creativity

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    pinches weyes, dejan a Beasly pwnear

:|

5. Swag Flu

Swag Flu Member+

Sep 11, 2008
    Lo$ $candalou$
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Avie bet for this weekend. One week. Who wants some?

:mad:

6. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Que bueno que Pumas y Memo Vasquez se estan concentrando en la liga y no en la CONCACAF. Muy buen plan! Sigan asi. :rolleyes:

7. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Pumas 1-0 America.

That is all.

8. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup.

9. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Pumas was lucky. Les peso el partido a todos los jovenes. Especially Izazola and Herrerra who were terrible. Israel Castro is really missed.

10. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This.

Palencia didn't have his best game today either. He's usually really good at holding the ball and allowing players to add to the attack, and releasing. He was losing the ball way too much.

Orrantia was a non-factor today, where the speed go?

Our back line didn't have a stellar night, but had a lot of luck.

11. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I'll take ugly, lucky, and scared over pretty every day of the week as long as the W column is filled in. Especially in a rivalry game.

12. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was an odd line up.
    Only really had one true midfielder with Cabrera and Palencia helping him out

Guess Memo was thinking we would catch them on the counter
    Really backfired tho

We completely lost the midfield, Palencia look way slow

On the positive, top of the table with 6 games to go

13. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Espinoza was pretty terrible. Palencia looked weak but I find it funny how those idiots in Mediotiempo forum still blame everything on him when the rest of the subs were as bad. All the players that got subbed in were was bad or worse than the rest.

Sure it's good to win but stuff like that in the end catches up to you if you don't correct things.

14. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memo is over thinking shit!

One thing that has worked for Pumas has been the consistency in tactics and players, so why the ******** mess with that?

Palencia as a mediapunta works, complete shit as a true midfielder
    Did he not learn from the america game?

The fuentes-velarde duo in the left side has been working, why change that?
    Why not either stick to the back 3 with Pikolin-Sandoval/Ramirez/whoever-Fuentes or bring in Espinoza??

Playing Orrantia and Cortes at the same time does not work
    They play the same position and are clueless when they are together

Izazola is not a winger

Our lack of balance is making tigres look like barcelona!!

15. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Some of the shuffling was due to not having Veron, who made a case for a pay raise by not even playing.

The truth is after losing all those players to the "draft", and playing so many greenhorns, making the liguilla would be a very decent accomplishment this season.

Anything beyond that is playing with house money.

16. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that's not it.

He had already experimented with that weird line up against america i

Losing Veron is tough, but Sandoval did ok in his position in the beginning of the tournament when he was still in Copa America

So no need to change tactics for that

Memo is simply ********ing up

17. Esposende

Esposende Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Jaguares 4 - 0 Pumas

18. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how this team just collapsed in the 2nd half of the season

I'm not giving the players a pass, but i think a lot of the blame should fall on Memo.
    The dip in form of the team came from him messing with what was working in the start.

A lot of the players underachieved, too

Bravo missed so many open chances that almost made me miss Dante
    Cortes was on only in spurts
    The midfield was very weak

On the positive, I think some of the younger players performed well

Orrantia looks good
    De Buen had a good run of games

Lalo Herrera is a good target man that could really come on strong if we play to his strengths

On the other hand, Castro, Teja, Vera, all looked very average to me

I hope they invest in a couple of players.. maybe a proper RB, CM, and maybe another striker

Overall, disappointing end of the season, but a good showing considering we did not invest on any player and we lost practically all of our midfield

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pretty bad way to end the tournament. The team already knew what they had to do to qualify to the liguilla but they didn't make it happen.

Bravo was playing shitty today maybe they should have subbed him out instead of Palencia. Orrantia played well at times he reminded me of guardis.

I personally don't place much blame on Memo, this squad was too thin. We lost too many players that played key roles in our last championship.

They should seriously consider bringing in some refuerzos, this team needs to take both tournaments seriously and aim to win the Concacaf CL. Hopefully they bring in some quality players with potential to grow. I rather they bring only one quality player than 3 argie tronkos.

20. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    The player, IMHO, who underperformed the most was Javier Cortes. When a team is thin to begin with, players like Cortes need to play above themselves. The TJ game was a microcosm of his season. He did what we know he can do (his free kick goal), but when he needed to make a play out of his comfort zone (the open net shot with his off foot), he did not deliver. He did just enough this season when needed to be the man. The kid is a star in the making, and I certainly hope he takes this all in and makes himself a better player.

I would also like to see more of De Buen, whom I believe will eventually be the next 5-10 year DM on the Tri. Memo needs to get him on the field with Cabrera ASAP and then ride the hell out of him before his inevitable transfer to Europe. And he has the best long distance shot on the team.

Besides, it's time to lean on players with 20-year old legs, not 38-year old.

I know it would never happen, but Angel Reyna would be a terrific addition to this team.

This team was wildly inconsistent throughout the season, and I can do without one 4-goals-against scoreline, much less 4.

As Francis said, gut the midfield, don't sign anyone else, and still come within an RCH of making the dance...

I would also love to see Pumas take the Concachampions seriously as well. They have as good a chance as anyone else.

21. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah man they had quality but way too thin of a team to even hope to defend champions status and the team just looked outright tired and just trudging along the season. Hopefully with the longer break they'll get before the Clausura pre-seaon starts they should all be more refreshed.

22. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Palencia was great and I don´t care what the idiots in other forums say, he was a great with Pumas. Won 2 titles and was key in both and surprisingly in the last one. Plus he´s a great guy. Gracias Palencia and I hope he stays with the club if he decides to keep with soccer in his life.

23. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    You are spot on, Rafael. He seems like the kinda guy who would make a great coach. I do hope he can remain a part of the institution.

24. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there were games in which he looked past it but for you could never fault him for not giving it his all.

The last couple of seasons were he played in a more midfield position really showed how versatile and team oriented he was. Pumas looked lost at times without him in the midfield

The first goal against monterrey this season were he beats Zavala on pure hustle really sums up his time at Pumas

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mUTCtWYGUI&feature=player_embedded#"]Pumas vs Monterrey 2-1 Jornada 3 Apertura 2011 Futbol Mexicano - Goles - YouTube[/ame]!

Will miss his hustle and leadership