News: AP Reporting That Subotic has picked Serbia - No Quotes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Dec 19, 2008.

1. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I hope Neven is not making this decision on where he would have a better chance of playing time, which team is better right now, which coach he likes best or how much travel is involved. This is not selecting a club to play for 2-3 years. This is selecting your nation of allegiance and it lasts for his whole career. Coaches come and go. Teams go thru up and down cycles. Other players retire or lose form. New young players come into the picture. This should be about his personal feelings towards the countries involved.

His personal history is very different than my own and probably quite different than most posters on BigSoccer. He likely feels ties to several countries. If he wishes to spend his life as a Serbian citizen, then he should play for Serbia. If he wishes to be a US citizen, he should play for the USA. I don't feel like there is a right or wrong decision here. It's about his personal feelings.

Certainly I hope he chooses the US. But I hope he makes his choice for the right reasons. Until I am shown otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him luck with whatever national side he feels he belongs to.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we learned nothing?

USA-Mex at SLC?

Suboitc picks Serbia?

I believe it when an official announcement is made and not before.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guliati says all reports of picking Serbia are untrue

Subotic may still choose Serbia but the USSF seem to be on top of the matter and are most likely doing what they can behind the scenes.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Trecker: Klinsman USMNT coach.

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I would be a little annoyed if I were Subotic right now. The Serbian press (and possibly the national team manager) have been practically bullying him into playing for their country by building up national expectations that this is a foregone conclusion enough to upset a ton of people if he chooses otherwise.

Of course, maybe he's already made the decision privately and word has leaked out somewhere. Even then I'd be a little annoyed at someone not respecting my wishes to keep this knowledge private until a formal announcement.

7. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda funny to see all the back and forth happening on his Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Neven_Subotić

The do mention that he chose Serbia. Of course that will remain in dispute until an official announcement is made.

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker has also picked it up
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/artikel/502013/
    and are saying that Antic said that they have to get him a Serbian passport now.

Dies bestätigte der serbische Auswahltrainer, Radomir Antic, in einem Interview mit der serbischen Website B92. Man arbeite nun intensiv daran, die Formalitäten zu erledigen und ihm die serbische Staatsbürgerschaft zu geben.

This was confirmed by the Serbian coach, Radomir Antic, in an interview with the Serbian website B92. Now (the federation) is working intensively on taking care of formalities and getting him Serbian citizenship.

9. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trecker: Anything

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly my point.

I have no issue with Serbia trying to court him. But the way they're going about it, just as you said, is almost tantamount to bullying by building up public expectation. That's frankly dirty pool, IMO.

Of course, maybe he's already made some sort of hand-shake agreement with them, but why does the Subotic camp continually claim that no decision has been made or will be made until the end of next year and then Serbia seems to want to publicly declare every time the wind changes direction that Subotic is dressing for them in February?

If I were in Subotic's shoes, I'd be peeved. As a US Nats fan, they're really working their way toward my "most hated team" list. I'd LOVE for our team to face them in the WC. I'd anticipate that at least as much as a Mexico match. To humiliate them in front of the world over this would be truly sweet, no matter which way Subotic goes.

11. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what happens I'll not care a whit more or less about Serbia's football association than I ever have. They just want a talented young player with loads of potential. I don't get the venom. It's the same thing the US wants. Actually that's probably giving USSF too much credit. I'll say I hope it's what they want. ;)

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Let's see them qualify first.

Things are going well for Serbia so far, but they're in a tough group (France, Romania, Austria) and things could quickly change.

That's why I think Subotic will stick to his original plan and wait until summer to announce his decision; by then he will have a much clearer idea of which of his potential suitors will make it to South Africa 2010.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on guys Subotic is soooo yesturdays news, i already started the next big thing in USMNT Men on Nazzani foo! way ahead of the curb. Im at least a year ahead on this one :D

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    serbia is pressuring the kid..

that's not the usa style..

don't ahve to go back mroe than 10 years to see what serbian pressure can actually mean...can get quite nasty...i mean genocide is ugly.. usa has to go back a bit longer to the native americans for genocide, although early part of the 20th century, lynching was quite popular in some portions of america..

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    same rehash of other media..

looks like a serbia reporter to me...

16. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Umm....strange and turbulent post.....I'm going to avoid this debate and seek refuge.....

17. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

18. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I don't know much about Serbia's quality in defense, but is it a guarantee that Subotic will step right in to be paired with Vidic, or is there some kind of pecking order? Let's be honest: Subotic is quality, but unless Bob decides to push Bocanegra to the outside, he will be a depth guy for the U.S. until the next World Cup cycle. I am guessing he knows this, and I wonder how much it will play into his ultimate decision.

If he goes with Serbia, getting Marshall in the mix will be one of the more vital projects of 2009. Like I said before, the starters are essentially set, but you never know, and we need depth other than Califf.

19. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm sorry but I was under the impression that he was a Serbian citizen. I don't see how you can say they had as much a "right" as the US when the kid only lived here for a couple years before moving on to Germany.

I don't see what the fuss is about regarding a player that doesn't seem to want to play for the US and only lived here a for a short period of time.

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I seriously doubt it.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I never had the feeling that Subotic would play for us. Having viewed several interviews and reading quotes, I came away with the impression that he never really felt like an American, and although I'm sure he's grateful for the opportunties that he's had here, it just isn't in his heart to play for us. That's really no different than others who come here for business or education, love the time they've spent here, but always yearn to return elsewhere. Germany was clearly Subotic's first choice, and as soon as that was nixed as an option Serbia was the next logical choice, given his family's roots and the quality of the Serbian team.

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW - Where did you learn American history? The same place you learned grammar and spelling?