AOC = HRC 2.0

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Deadtigers, Jan 7, 2019.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised there aren't fewer.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By 1989 southern states already had a bunch laws preventing black men from voting or winning office.

I would assume that you have to go back to 1866 or so to find the high water mark on black members representing the GOP in congress.

Edit: according to this 1873 to 1877, with 7 house members.

https://history.house.gov/Exhibitio...can-Representatives-and-Senators-by-Congress/

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh shit, I did not know that Tim Scott won promotion from the House to the Senate in South Carolina, he was the 3rd black republican from the prior house that I could not remember above.

He is now the lone black republican in the Senate compared to 2 black democrats (1 of them half Asian Indian).

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah kinda like Condi Rice. I don't admire her politics but you do have to respect the tenacity to make that climb. I believe she had geniune ability unlike most that make-up the Trump WH.

soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this have to do with the number of women?

sitruc and superdave repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mixed up 2 different tweets.

I read TMhil post as republicans winning in congress.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was no fan of Maggie Thatcher, but when I was in England before the election in the spring of 1987, I found it appalling to see men wearing buttons that said "Ditch the Bitch." There is plenty not to like about her without resorting to that.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    American coal miners had no use for Hillary, while British coal miners had no use for Maggie. Interesting how that worked.

Auriaprottu, dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "I like my lungs the way I like my coffee- black" -random Trump/coal flunky

fatbastard repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, some Republican "strategist" actually said that part of the thinking of tapping Palin was that, "as a woman" she'd be able to pick up some votes from women who supported Hillary Clinton in the primaries and were not too enthralled with O'Bummer.

Sure, like there is any person alive or dead who would ever seriously support both of those candidates. Anyone who likes one would automatically despise the other.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's not going to work. What might have worked, though, was the primary goal, which was to soften the GOP's man-first image, to increase the ticket's appeal to centrists. Perhaps in another election cycle -- not in 2008, when a GOP Presidential candidate was pretty much bound to lose.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love the Republican meme that AOC should "shut up" and learn the job.

I wish they would have thought of that when they were pulling the lever for Donald Trump.

Deadtigers, sitruc, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this will irritate some of her progressive supporters, but I hope she actually listens to some of this criticism.

I do NOT want her wings completely clipped, but IMHO she needs to be begin the transition from savvy social media activist to working legislator.

Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez

xtomx, roadkit and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite having posted what I did above, I agree with your sentiment.

I have mixed feeling about her, but the level of hypocrisy aimed at her coming from the Right is ridiculous.

Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Right now hypocrisy on the Right is a feature not a bug.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She's a 28 y.o. "twitter star" Who else do we know that uses twitter to his advantage?

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't see any reason to assume that she won't be able to make that transition, but then agaibn, I'm not a Twitter user, so I can't speak to its addictive power.

If only it helped Individual One do his job in the executive branch.

It does seem useful to rile his base and (and their opponents)

sitruc and bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more a matter of desire than capability.

She's clearly very smart and capable. But the concerns expressed by the Dems in that article are legit and concern me as well; coming in as a Freshman congressperson and already making noise about primarying other Dems, making WAY too big of a deal about PayGo, etc.--not the actions of somebody who's interested in being a productive member of an electoral coalition.

On the other hand, she did vote for Pelosi as Speaker so she's no nihilistic bomb-thrower.

I still think she has the potential to be a positive force for change within the party. But she needs to re-calibrate her approach.

19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I am really a blow-the-whole-thing-up-and-start-over kinda guy, I think she is a breath of fresh air.

I may not agree with any of her positions, (of what I have heard anyway) but I don't think anyone elected should bow to the relics that allowed our government to devolve into the partisan stalemate we now have.

What is her position on term limits and getting Congress to use SS as their own retirement?

fatbastard and roby repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The effort, described by nearly 20 lawmakers and aides, is part carrot, part stick: Some lawmakers with ties to Ocasio-Cortez are hoping to coax her into using her star power to unite Democrats and turn her fire on Republicans. Others simultaneously warn Ocasio-Cortez is destined for a lonely, ineffectual career in Congress if she continues to treat her own party as the enemy.

The bold (mine) is an awful lot to put on the youngest member of Congress, one who has no political experience, and has only been in the job for a couple months (since election).

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair, but she sure does have a knack for social media and garnering media attention.

(That's NOT an back-handed compliment--it's GOOD to be able to win the media-attention battle, particularly given that the MSM often applies a different standard to Dems than to Repubs).

She's shown some signs of doing this already, actually.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but some of those seem to put her in the middle, to lead it. That is more what I'm getting at her being in position which she should not be expected to be in.

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    She claims to be for term limits. Q: Are you for term limits? A:"Yes, term limits will increase performance and prevent corruption".

I am not sure what you mean about Congress and Social Security. Currently all Congressmen must pay into the SS system, just like the rest of us. Perhaps you are referring to their lavish pensions? Based on her quick reversal on her proposal for Congress to forgo paychecks during a government shutdown, I doubt she is going to sponsoring any bills aimed at curtailing Congressional pensions.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Unlike most congresspeople, she wasn't killing it financially. Bartender helping out her mom. Dad passed in college.

1011791408162799618 is not a valid tweet id

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes, we are all aware of her background since it is brought up at any chance, but she did say Congressional paychecks should be furloughed during a shutdown. "Have some integrity".