Anything for USA-France in Lyon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by DempseyFulham23, Jan 5, 2018.

1. DempseyFulham23

Fulham FC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all,

It's been a long while since I posted something, so my apologies if this is misplaced. My wife and I will be in France this summer and are planning on going to the USA-France match in Lyon on June 9. Are there any (admittedly early) plans for a US supporter meetup/party/pregame tailgate thing yet? If so, is there anywhere specific I should look to get in touch with fellow US fans planning to attend the match? I've never been to Lyon, as well, so I'm unsure exactly of good bars, pregame spots, etc. Any information would be great and I'll hope to see some of you à la France!

Thanks,
    ANW

guignol repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I hear anything I’ll post this here. Typically there’s a random assortment of US fans who show up to these European games but that will happen closer to the tournament.

DempseyFulham23 repped this.
  3. DempseyFulham23

Fulham FC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, mate. This will be my first USMNT match in Europe, so I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much. I appreciate the help!

- ANW

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually for euro games there’s a handful of expats. But I wouldn’t expect a large contingent.

5. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I went to a game back in 2013 Scotland, and it was honestly one of the more fun matches I have been to. Tons of fun, and lots of really interesting and awesome stories about how/why people are there.

6. DempseyFulham23

Fulham FC
    United States
    Jun 15, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic! Did you just run into USMNT fans at pubs around the stadium, or was it an organize meetup, of sorts? I'm really looking forward to it. I just don't want to miss out on exactly what you describe due to ignorance and laziness. :)

7. JamesENicholson

Feb 18, 2005
    Has a schedule been posted? I haven't seen this match scheduled. It doesn't show on USSoccer.com

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    wixson7 repped this.
  10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Lyon for this game also, along with four others. Would love to meet up with other US fans before the game!

wixson7 repped this.
  11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm a US expat living in Lyon and I'll be going to this game. I'm a longtime season ticket holder for OL so I know the stadium and the town pretty well.

wixson7 repped this.
  12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the Boston isn't the place I would have suggested but it makes sense considering the name; I actually watched a match there once a couple of years ago, it's OK, and the Place des Terreaux is a good spot for a little tourism.I think I'll drop by the night before to see what's up.

since I got my ticket through the FFF (special price for OL season ticket holders) I'll be in section 421, I don't know what sections were attributed to the USSF).

I'm interested in seeing what the stadium will be like for this match. For OL there are concessions in place on the american model (on a reduced scale - going to the ballpark to eat and drink is new here) with Heineken (until recently no alcohol for sale in french football stadiums) for 5€ a pint which is a decent price.

The stadium is way out of town but shuttles are the same as for OL matches except not free with your ticket (5€ separate purchase).I'm going to take the tram to Grand Large, the walk's not far. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere but there were already a couple of restaurants by the river and a few places have opened since the stadium went up.

if you have any questions about the city or the stadium just ask, I've lived here 25 years and go to Groupama 25 times a year.

14. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I will also be at the game with my wife, however as a France's supporter :)
    Lyon is a marvelous city and branded as the capital of French food. In the town center a lot of restaurants with prices for all types of budget.
    I would recommend to eat there before going to the game and if you have time, to wander in the city to see the old streets, buildings etc... Around the stadium, there are very few restaurants: often there are fully booked and the landlords do not accept any more guests. It happened to us when we came for OL games.
    As said Guignol, the stadium is out of town, but there are several means to reach the stadium. If you use a car, there are car parks with shuttles: but you must reserve in advance and do it asap.
    Personally, I booked well in advance a small hotel close to the stadium: so will have to walk 5'.
    The stadium is brand new and usually for the OL's games the crowd management is very good with smiling stewards. Usually few minutes of queuing. And the view is good from all seats. Free wifi normally available. But as it is organized by the federation, I don't know whether the levels of services will be the same ones as for OL.
    As in Europe there is a lot of focus on security, I would suggest to go light to the stadium without any bag or rucksack: you will have to leave it in special lockers outside the stadium, so you might loose time.
    I look forward to watching the game: to seeing this young and attractive French team preparing to win the WC (;)) and I have a soft spot for the US team as my two sons play college soccer. So it should be an enjoyable moment for us.:thumbsup:

wixson7, guignol and Real Corona repped this.
  15. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not yet been to a French game. But euro games so far have had nothing on our nfl stadiums security lol. It’s like worse than an airport

17. balkalarre

balkalarre New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 6, 2018
    Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone,

A friend of mine canceled, so I have an extra ticket in the US Supporters' Section for USMNT vs. France. I'd like to resell it to someone (who wouldn't mind sitting next to me!) at face value.

Does anyone have any tips where/how I could resell the ticket? I'll be arriving in Lyon in the early afternoon on match day.

Thanks for your help!

guignol repped this.
  18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i hope you find a solution! if not, I already have my ticket but wouldn't mind sitting in the US supporters' section so if you don't find anyone before game time I'll buy you a beer for it. I'll be in front of the red lion statue at 8PM wearing a Depaul t-shirt (close to both our sections - if logic is followed the US sections will be 428/429/430).

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    How was the game, stadium, US fans, etc?

@OverseasView and @guignol

20. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dvery nice evening. Perfect organisation, no queues, smiling stewards etc...
    I did not see a lot of US fans. My wife saw some in the stadium but I missed them:sleep::confused:
    In the second half the crowd was not too happy with the Feench team whose players were under par.
    18/3 shots and only scored one goal. And the defensive mistakes continue to worry us.

Resolute defense by the young US team, but a lot to be done offensively. They came for this result and were able to get it. Now in a different context, we can assume the result would have been different.

wixson7 and Eddie Stiel repped this.