Anyone remember "Soccer Made In Germany"?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by unclesox, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I am 41. I don't feel like it though although I am not sure what I am supposed to feel at 41. :p

2. penilelarger

penilelarger New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Peru
    Club:
    Abha
    Nat'l Team:
    Angola
    Soccer was made in germany i tell you, cant wait to visit my parents over there. Berliin go

3. Charles

Charles Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Idaho
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favorite Toby-ism (which I've not heard since): when a defender cleared wildly to stop a threat, the ball was "hacked away"...

Good times.

Mailman44 repped this.
  4. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame awas the song at the end, though there're was a different short intro song.mmsorrynto bring this back from the dead. Does anyone know if Toby is still "kicking"?

5. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 12 in New Orleans showed Soccer Made in Germany in the late 70s into the early 80s. My brother and I became fans of Borussia Moenchengladbach. First because they were good and we liked many of their players, second because of their bizarre (to us) name. Brush a munching Glad Bag?
    I remember kids on the Mississippi Gulf Coast yelling "Good baallllllll!" like Toby Charles when teammates made nice passes. I still hear kids say that. I also remember imitating Toby with friends repeating our favorite Toby phrase, "And the crowd ARE loving it!" A favorite Soccer Made in Germany moment for me was after Klaus Topmuller blasted one over the crossbar Toby said, "And the crowd are chanting 'Toppy, Toppy, ha ha ha!"
    Aside from the occasional NASL game and the rare English game on ESPN, this was the only professional soccer we got to see.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you grow up?

Same things for me PBS, Gladbach.. etc.

Channel 12 in New Orleans.. and after Soccer Made in Germany, Prep Quiz Bowl with Mel Leavitt.

Raider Pride! Class of 80'!

Vinnydabody and Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long Beach, MS. We were early adopters of cable TV in the mid 70s, as we needed it to get the New Orleans channels. Remember the kid who answered a question on Quiz Bowl, "Ron Swoboda, News Scene 8"? Mel was not amused.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long Beach.. geez, that's like a whole 'nother state.

I don't remember that question, but Mel seemed to have a good sense of humor.

9. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It seemed like it was always Gladbach. I seem to recall Hertha Berlin, too. Loved it!

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw this thread... Yeah, that was one of my favorite shows, and Gladbach were my team. Gunther Netzer was my favorite player, and to a kid, he was the epitome of cool. Not only was he a great player, but the guy was smart enough to have a couple of businesses, including a night club, and he drove a Ferrari. Can't get much cooler than that!

I recently took a Lufthansa flight and they had a show "50 Years of the Bundesliga." They only had the 60s and 70s episodes, and while I would have liked to have seen the other decades, the 70s show brought back memories of SMiG. Great highlights, plus interviews with Netzer, Klaus Fischer, Karl-Heinz Ruminegge, Rainer Bonhoff, Sepp Maier... Good stuff!

unclesox repped this.
  11. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My friend and I (on the WEST bank, brah) watched it religiously in the early 80s. We knew someday we'd have enough money to buy a Subbuteo game with the whole stadium and all that, just like Kyle Rote Jr. used in the halftime break. Of course, I played all of one season at PAC when I was 8 or 9 and that was the extent of my organized soccer career.

Oh, and the most memorable thing? Three words: Rudi Wimmer's shorts. Jeez, they were almost Bermuda length when we saw him.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Bank - I'm sorry ;)

Subbuteo - I found that game at K-mart back in 1993/95 for $5.00. Bought it, tried to play a bit with my young son, and put it away after buying or painting about 10 teams.

Moved to Connecticut and started playing in a real league with guys who really knew how to play, and kick my ass. Then I got pretty good, and really made some great friends.

Having been to a game at Borussia Mönchengladbach - that was my most memorable moment, hearing Toby say those words.

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't remember Rudi Wimmer but I remember Rudi Kargus. Same long shorts which were so different from others back then. And Sepp Maier.

14. cal-trin

cal-trin Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was too young to really remember details of SMIG, but my family emigrated from Germany to California in 1973 and I caught this show on a black and white TV from KQED or whatever Bay Area station had it.

I do, however, have a stack of the game guides from the show right on the shelf here. I suppose most of the stats and info in them you could easily find on the internet, but I should PDF them sometime just for nostalgia's sake.

15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember sending off to get the monthly SMIG guides and being very excited when they arrived in the mail. Possibly the first soccer literature I ever saw.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Globe Kicker! :cool: I actually have every single issue. Originally my subscription started with Vol 1 No. 11 but I managed to find the first 10 issues on ebay a few years ago.
    Before the '82 World Cup you could order the 'official' World Cup preview guide through SMIG. Forgot how much it cost but I sent for it fairly quickly when I first saw the promo after one of their telecasts. A few weeks later the German Educational Television Network (GETN) wrote back saying that they had run out of copies but they would send me something in its place after the World Cup was over. Late in the year I received a nice book (Espana '82) that reviewed the tournament, edited by Franz Beckenbauer. I loved that book. Still have it, it's in great condition (all the pages are still like crisp new - I've rarely looked at it since '82) and I've always had a goal of getting Der Kaiser to autograph it for me. No idea how to go about it, though.

17. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks so much for bringing this up. Damn, that Uerdingen-Frankfurt game is one of the greatest games ever. I remember after Uerdingen equalized, there were policemen leading dogs near the field and all you could hear was them barking at the crowd. Toby said, "obviously they are Uerdingen dogs."
    I became very interested in European football at the time and a fan of Nottingham Forest. In these days, long before the internet, I used to have to go to my local library on Thursdays when they got the London Times from the previous Sunday so I could check match reports. We used to get the times in weekly bundles and when Forest played Koln in the European Cup semis in 79, the first leg was at the City Ground and Koln got a 3-3 result with Okudera coming off the bench to score. Everyone thought it was a disaster (even though we went on to win 1-0 at the Muengersdorfer 2 weeks later) and the headline was, "Forest sunk by Japanese Sub."
    SMIG was a program I grew up on. Fantastic Program. Hope Toby Charles is doing alright. He was a hell of a commentator.

RSLer and unclesox repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spam. Everyone please report.

19. philly villain

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My video!

philly villain and Gregoriak repped this.
  22. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Definitely overdue now I am waiting for German football media finally recognizing the existence of this influential tv show whose existence is still almost completely unknown within Germany. About 7 or 8 years ago I contacted the very hip "11 Freunde" magazine here in Germany who usually thrive on stories like that and told them about "Soccer Made in Germany" and Toby Charles - no reaction!

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game.....

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #199 BostonRed, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Risen from the dead?

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that it wasn't the PBS/US version....

Still fun though.