Anyone Going to Watch Gazza's Day One?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Pmoliu, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Any diehards out there?

Paul

2. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I am. I'm on my way to Gordon Biersch right now. I figure I'll catch up to him by the time he's started his pint sprints.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will just have to wait for Diceson's report.

4. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I called DCU front office asking for Fridays practice details. I was told practice is closed to public.

Given this extract from this weeks post I was not happy: "When Quintanilla made his first appearance at a United practice two weeks ago, several dozen fans were there to welcome him".

Can any kind person give me the details that DCU won't give to a season ticket holder (since98)?

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Practice is closed to the public. But nothing is stopping you ( I don't think, but there may be a large rinocerous in your way ) from taking a nice stroll through Lot 7, during practice time......and if you inadvertantly catch a glimpse or two of practice, nobody is going to wipe your memory.

Except for the guys in the black suits who'll come to your house tonight.

6. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I was not sure if practice was at the auxiliary fields or at GMU. Do you know what time it starts/ends.

Thanks

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    It's obviously closed as they're going through the strategy required to break through the vaunted NE defense. :rolleyes:

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there aren't 3000 piss-drunk Brits throwing crap on the field and starting fights when certain teams come to town, although we could probably arrange that pretty quickly.

This whole Gazza thing is Hudson's show; he doesn't want folks to notice that Gazza probably won't be match fit for another month.

9. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Diceson spoke with a guy from the BBC who stated that Gazza is in very good shape. I know it's third-hand information, but I am optimistic.

10. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    I just got back, I missed the running around but caught them milling around at the end. Gascoigne definitely isn't fat. If his mind is up for it, then it also looks like his body is too.

Pope was kitted out, but he did say that he and Marco were playing this weekend when interviewed on DC101 this morning.

11. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    I think it would be lovely if Gazza dropped by the Next Saturday evening, don't you?

12. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I hope Diescon has a report.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Was out there this morning.

Gazza definately looking trim, but certainly not match fit. Practice was 5 a side games and some 11 on 11. He's still got a great touch. (Bunch of guest players out there; Alex Yi looked ready for MLS, but his right foot leaves a bit to be desired).

You could tell it was pre-season for him in terms of being in the flow of the games, but he called for the ball and distributed pretty well. He's not going to beat a lot of guys with his first step (and he's got a foot long scar on top of his right knee to show why), but he was lively and engaging with the rest of the team.

Is he good enough to play? Well, it was one practice (for only about an hour b/c of the game tommorrow), but the talent is still there.

If he stays clean, United should definately sign him.

14. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Alex Yi would go a long way toward solving our defensive depth problems...time for MLS to get creative with the "rules" again.

15. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    According to Gazza's agent on Skysports he IS in shape... sort of... he has been working out relligiously with a strength and conditioning coach BUT the agent also said (and as we all know) that is still no replacement for being in "game shape".

--He will take a little time to get fully fit. But then again who on our team IS FULLY fit?! :)

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say at this point, I expect that he will be signed.

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    He scored a goal in the championship clincher for Rangers in April, 1996 that is among the five best I have ever seen, picking the ball in his half and running 70 yards, beating four defenders before switching feet and sending a laser past a goalkeeper. I'll always have a soft spot for him because of that, but even I know this is 6 years later.

Still, it's apparent this is going to happen if he doesn't break down. I predict he'll sign and you'll grow to like him, at least for this season.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    From the Reuters story - anyone know if he's still off the wagon?

A recovering alcoholic who has periodically battled excess weight and lengthy injuries,

"Oy! M'name's Gazza ahn aim on alco'olic."

19. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    It will take Gazza a while to get match fitness back seeing as the English 1st division finished back in mid April so it will take him a few matches to get back into the full swing of things.

He should be fit though as he has been training in Cyprus for a week.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    There is no doubt that he will be playing in DC this year. (read Ray Hudson's quote in the link)

MLS playoffs may become a reality for DC United!

geordienation,

How did he do with Marco? Where they on the same team? Did they compete for the ball?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    With Quaranta saying he doesn't know if he'll be back this season, should we go ahead and put him on the IR?

Are we even able to?

If so, what benefits can we get from that?

22. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Is anyone else picture ol Gazz reading these boards and wondering wtf he's got himself into if a bunch of Yanks aren't exactly thrilled to see him?

Probably the same feeling he'll have if he ever steps on the pitch and realizes, ************, these lads are fit and a bit better than he expected.

23. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    They are fit, I doubt they are better than he expected. Not everyone thinks the MLS is a bad league. I am sure Ian Bishop has set him straight.

Gazza played for relegation fighting Everton and then promotion chasing Burnley last year. I am sure he is accustomed to a fast paced game.
    We can hardly claim to have a fast paced game at DC right now. The players might be fit, but the movement is not always there (Etcheverry and Williams excepted).

24. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Classic.