ANyone going to Conn.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Chargefan, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I am getting a group of fans together in Conn for a tailgate party before the game.

2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to this one, but I was wondering....has China announced their Olympic roster that will be at this match?

Just wondering.....

3. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

I'm in.

4. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Will be there. Tell me what and who to look for (PM me for privacy if you'd like) and I'll seek you out. Might even have an extra beer for you, but if nothing else at least we can talk some soccer and perhaps bang a ball around.

5. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ticket Sales ?

Anybody have an idea on how ticket sales are going? I'm hoping to get tickets day-of-game at the box office and was wondering if there was something I'm overlooking that might result in me getting left out (such as the stadium limiting the number of tickets, like closing off certain sections of the stadium, like the do at many MLS games).

The stadium claims to seat 40K... I doubt Hartford and Kritine Lilly's family would take up all 40K.

Any information or ideas on why I should get advanced tickets would be greatly appreciated?

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be down for the game. The last time I saw USA-China live was a little over 5 years ago. :)

7. PortlandPilots15

PortlandPilots15 New Member

May 23, 2002
    My world.
    Something tells me that that particular game would be more entertaining than this one. ;)

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll be there. My plane gets in to Hartford from Chicago at 10:00 a.m Sat. Going to Yankees game in NY Sat. and WNT soccer game Sun. How are you going to be recognized?

9. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

OK, Blue EZ Shade, Look for the RED Save the WUSA Banner
    Banner Pic

I will be in the main Parking area that the Silver lane(Don't Laugh, I spoke to the Director of Field Operations today) goes into. There should be a fair amount of fans crowded into the area. We are cooking Hamburgers and Hot Dogs. not sure if I will have enough for everyone stopping by.

Considering this is really the only East coast event, get them soon

Far as I am aware, get your tickets now unless you are buying single seats, I did a search on 50, 40, 30 and 20, Only the 20 hit tickets, so I think it is one of the last sections available

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody take advantage of the Chevrolet test drive offer today that gets you four free tickets to the game?

11. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pleasure meeting SoccerDad and HammStar. Sorry I missed the others.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Off-Topic: Why would you want to "Save the WUSA"?

Seriously.

There won't be a successful professional womens soccer league in the U.S. until after the WUSA is buried and gone.

At this point, the WUSA is standing in the way of any effort to run a new league.

13. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm sorry, I don't get your logic. As one of, I guess few people, that liked the WUSA, why would it be better "buried and gone?" What is this "new league" the WUSA is "in the way" of? If you have a better plan, I'd love to hear it.

14. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Andy,

If there was/is an alternative - I would be all for it.

Don't tell me start with the W-League, NJ Wildcats are kinda boring to watch because they can win week in week out (OK, so they struggled in the playoffs today, but they still won.....I have seen them score in 11 seconds and go on to win 9-0 The level of competition in the W-League is so far apart

Namely, I want to save the Charge - Alot of us FANS have emotional attachment to the team, and this league, however poorly it was run.

I want to see High level Women's soccer and 5-8 WNT games a year does not cut it. I want to go to the games, Meet Players and fans, Even in a miserable season, in the rain, in the cold miserable rain.

Mabee you have to live in the Philly area to have this type of passion. They were still getting 7000-8000 a game despite everything.

You see failure, I see the only hope of high level women's soccer.

15. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Oh, I forgot, MLS is chomping at the bit to run a women's league

AS for today, It was great to get together with Fans from Here and PTP. Next time hopefully my entire ride up won't be rain and I can get there when I say I would be there

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm talking business. The people running the WUSA are incapable of running a successful league. That doesn't mean a future league can't leverage some of the "brands" - like the Charge - from the past.

I never suggested that either the W League - nor the WPSL - should be turned into professional leagues. I also know of no organization, nor individuals who are planning on bankrolling a new league.

What I do know, is that we aren't going to have a successful league as long as the hope remains that the WUSA will rise like the phoenix from the ashes of the current situation.

It's all business. If you ignore the business and only focus on emotion, you'll only have your memories - instead of creating new ones.

I want a women's professional soccer league, but that isn't going to happen until the "WUSA" as an organization ceases to exist.

17. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002

18. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hear your complaints about driving in the rain. I came from Boston and not only drove through rain but also sat in traffic. Sorry I missed everyone at the various tailgates. My original plans were to arrive two hours early. I got there a half-hour before game time. Shortly after the wet clouds parted for abundant sunshine, which turned out to be a pleasant but humid day to see our fine ladies off to Athens.

As for MLS "chomping at the bit to run a women's league", I thought the MLS at this point had no interest in a women's league, that they were intent on continuing to build their own product, which would make sense since it's not like they're totally out of the woods and hugely profitable. Any insight on this would be appreciated!

19. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I was mocking the prior suggestions for creating a new women's league.

Unfortunately, this is what we are stuck with, as much as the WUSA was not run like a buisness, whatever rises from the ashes needs to be. Andy, we will never see eye to eye because I don't think anyone will comeforward if the death certificate on the WUSA is issued.

Getting back on topic

It was great to be out there, again wish I got there earlier.....