Anyone Else Worried about the slow start?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by busbyboy74, Sep 18, 2008.

1. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is anyone else worried about the slow start we have had in both the League and C/L?

2. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We started slow last year also, so I'm not too worried, however if we lose at Chelsea, then I'll be worried. We just to sort out a formation that works and we'll be fine.

3. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree, not sure Berb, Roo & Tev can all play together up front. Berb & Tev are too similar in style. We also need to drop the 4-3-3 formation

4. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I;'m sure I made a similar statement last week and got shouted down.... :p

I'm not overly worried about it and I know a number of fans of other clubs who aren't reading too much into it either. If we beat Chelsea on Sunday, which is a big ask but by no means impossible, it'll throw it all into chaos because, let's be honest, a lot of people are expecting us to lose this weekend. A lot of peopoe want us to lose this weekend.

A good solid formation would be nice and I wish Rooney would start shooting at goal and playing as a direct threat, rather than working his socks off for other peoples benefit. Him and Tevez are noble lads with good hearts but they're meant to be strikers and they spend far too much time working the channels rather than fighting with defenders in the box.

5. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We will get better as the season goes on. Maybe it will happen too late to win the league, but winning 3 in a row was always a tough ask. The main things is that we win our next couple of CL games and get back on track for qualifying the group. We can see where we stand in the league as we get near Christmas to know whether we are out of the race or not.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it close till Christmas and then roll on to May.

7. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I am worried about Carrick's injuries which coincides with our slow start. He quietly makes our team click both offensively and defensively and we need him to function optimally.

8. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The season is over ...we should just give the title to the Scousers. :(:(

9. Grubic

Grubic New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I believe his injuries definately coincides with our slow start. He doesn't always score goals and do all the flashy stuff but he has a great calming effect on the midfield when he is there, and that is MUCH more important.

Grubic.

10. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm not.

11. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not trying to be a "troll", but you guys should be worried, lose to Chelsea and you're 9 points behind them. Also don't forget you guys are gonna have fixture congestion, so while you might have the games in hand you'll always be playing from a catch up role.

And no I don't think Arsenal have a chance of winning a thing, so start that. But Chelsea could run away this title.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not so much being worried about being in this position, it's just that it's so early, it doesn't matter all that much yet. Even if we were up by 9 points at this point in the season, we wouldn't be planning a ticker tape parade celebrating 3 prems on the trot....

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think they should be worried. Ronaldo's been out, Carrick is out, Neville's not fit, their trusted #2 coach has moved on, and they've got to integrate Berbatov into the lineup, which means yet another formational/respsonsibility change for Rooney. They've got a game in hand and by this weekend they'll have gotten 2 of their 6 games vs the big three over with. Losing to Chelsea will put them in a big hole, which is why I'm actually rooting for Chelsea in a Man Utd-Chelsea clash, but history is on their side about being able to close a gap.

Nobody's running away with anything, though if Malouda starts scoring goals, we are crocked.

14. furiaroja

furiaroja New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    No it gets rid of the bandwagoners

15. JustinC83

JustinC83 Member

Aug 10, 2006
    The Big 4 Last Years and This Years starts (through 4 games) just in the EPL.

man utd last year

2 Draws (Reading, Portsmouth)
    1 Loss (Man City)
    1 Win (Tottenham)

man utd this year

1 Draw (Newcastle)
    1 Loss (Liverpool)
    1 Win (Portsmouth
    (Game in hand)

Livepool last year

3 Wins (Aston Villa,Sunderland,Derby)
    1 Draw (Chelsea)

Liverpool this year

3 Wins (Sunderland,Boro,Man Utd*)
    1 Draw (Aston Villa)

* should have been a draw.

Chelsea last year

3 Wins (Birmingham,Reading,Portsmouth)
    1 Draw (Liverpool)

Chelsea this year

3 Wins (Portsmouth, Wigan, Man City)
    1 Draw (Tottenham)

Arsenal last year

3 Wins (Fulham, Man City, Portsmouth)
    1 Draw (Blackburn)

Arsenal this year

3 Wins (West Brom, Newcastle,Blackburn)
    1 Loss (Fulham)

Not Concerned at all.

I mean did you see how this team picked up its tempo when ronaldo came on

16. Red 11

Red 11 Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried -- yet. And truth be told, I've got a gut feeling we're going to pop Chelsea's bubble Sunday.

17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Well put Justin, not to mention this season Tevez is much fitter and we have 2 more strikers to rely on. I'm not worried at all, just frustrated that we haven't been able to witness that sexy football yet.

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MANUTDGAL

MANUTDGAL New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Framingham, Mass.
    Not worried but not liking the lack of intensity. Are we resting on our laurels????

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  21. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have had brief periods of having a clear spark, such as the first few minutes of the Liverpool game and shortly after Ronaldo came on vs Villareal.

The problem is most of the time we are looking uncertain and then frustrated. The constant injury problems, changes in formation and positions are not helping either.

Overall the start to the season is not a worry as long as we grind out some results, and dont let the competition pull out ahead. By November we should be starting to hit some form, and then ready to hit our stride by Jan.