Anyone Collect Cards?

Discussion in 'Collectors' started by MattyB316, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just trying to see if anyone is into collecting soccer cards like Topps and the like.

I used to be REALLY heavy into collecting hockey cards, but completely stopped a while ago due to losing interest and feeling like my money was being wasted.

The last time I opened a couple boxes I also snagged an MLS box, and actually enjoyed opening it. But honestly, as rare as it felt to find another person who collected hockey cards, I feel like soccer collectors are non existent lol

2. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do! mostly FB, BB and Soccer have some BKB but looking for dual autos and rpa's.

3. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks that there aren't a lot of kids out there that collect soccer cards. Part of the problem is they are not easy to find in stores.

I have a deal with my 7 year old son. Every time we go to a game I'll buy him 1 pack of TOPPS MLS 2015 Trading Cards for every goal we score. Then +1 pack if we win the game. It helps him stay more interested in the game on the field now. He has a vested interest in goals scored and a final win, lol. The cards are sold there at the stadium, so we go at the end of the game.

After accumulating enough cards I then ask him to put together what he considers a strong team. Who do you have as your best keeper? Who are your best defenders? Do you want to drop a defender to add a forward to your dream team (442 to 343)?

I'm trying to see if there's a game I can come up with based on the player stats where we can create 2 teams and play against each other to score goals. Kind of like a Pokemon game (or TOPPS Match Attax which is sold in England). But again the problem is my son has no one else to play this with, other than me. And the TOPPS cards have crappy stats on the back. Just Games Played, Assists, Goals, and Shots on Goal. No defending stats, passes completed, YC/RC, fouls, etc... to really develop any kind of game off of that. They have stats for baseball... why not add that to the soccer cards??

I think they should focus on improving their cards with more stats and developing an actual game with them. Then it will add a "fun" dimension to the cards that does not exist with baseball, hockey, etc,... and it could help take off from there.

Otherwise, they're too hard to find, boring to just collect and stare at, and why bother when other sports cards are so easy to find/buy at local stores (and their dads are probably encouraging their kids to buy baseball cards like they did when they were young).

4. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

me and my kid we just collect them and look for autograph cards or relic cards. and try to complete number sets. We love the thrill of hunting and discover rare cards.

we usually get 2014 chrome which for the price has 3 autos guaranteed.
    http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_47&products_id=9043

I don't know we just love it and if the card is super rare or a big name we can sale it and get a big chunk for it!

5. invisible_shadow

Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bought a box of the Panini Prizm 2014 World Cup cards right before the world cup began. Pulled a dual autographed Van Persie/Arjen Robben numbered 8/10. Looking to try my luck with another box really soon.

6. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Sang_Culé, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    mmmmm....... no they are not! all are hand sign by the player. Like all the sets of the big companies are hand sign and relic cards are guarantied to be worn by the player.
    They are 2 types of autographs, on card or sticker. the fifa world cup set was sticker auto. topps chrome MLS are on card. Here is a link of the players signing stickers for the prizm set.
    http://www.cherrycollectables.com.a...-delivers-worlds-greatest-autograph-checklist

9. MISLGrapher

MISLGrapher Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Arlington, TX
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    My first post here!

I'm a big card collector and actually work with a card company as a photo editor. In terms of soccer I don't collect much of the newer stuff, but I do have all the 1980s and 1990s MISL sets put out by Pacific. I've just started a project to try to get as many autographed as I can (hence my screenname).

Sang_Culé repped this.
  10. Thomas ben Yah

Thomas ben Yah New Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I collect Sporting Kansas City, various tobacco cards, and American players cards. I've got my SKC collection scanned and am currently building a website for them and MLS card collecting in general.

11. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! prices are crazy high right now, I have my eye in a couple of Villa autos..... will see

12. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I used to collect real soccer cards yellow cards and the occasional red card. But don't we all.

13. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I created a simple game where kids collect MLS trading cards and put together a team of players in a valid formation (4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, etc...)

Kids then go head to head comparing TOPPS stats (Shots, Goals, Assists) to score goals and win the game.

Ex:
    The kids decide they'll play using Shots as the stat.
    They put together their team.
    Child 1 decides to play Kaka. Child 2 decides to play David Villa. Since Villa has more shots than Kaka, attack is stopped, ball is turned over to child 2 and both cards are placed in discard pile.
    Child 2 decides to attack with Giovinco. Child 1 defends with Lloyd Sam. Since Giovinco has more shots than Sam the attack succeeds and child 2 scores a goal. Both cards go into discard pile and child 1 gets the kickoff to attack and score.

And you repeat until all 11 players are used.

You can use Club cards and All Star cards as Power Ups to give your player and extra 5 pts on any stat you are using (max of 3 power up cards per team can be played)

My kids are enjoying this. They're learning all the different players in the league and remembering who the good and bad players are. Unfortunately, they can only play with each other because no other friends play this at school or follow MLS, let alone collect the trading cards.

Sang_Culé repped this.
  14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
  15. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I have always mostly collected baseball but recently realized what about soccer? I just never had thought to collect, I guess. So I started off thinking I'd go into some vintage stuff to start with - focusing on Pele for now. I'm excited to research it all...lots of foreign sets, etc....very interesting cards!

16. Chooxch

Chooxch Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    credit card maybe;););)

17. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I purchase MLS trading cards every year. This year TOPPS introduced throwback cards on the 1987 baseball design. The throwback cards contain so many more stats (Games played, fouls committed, offsides, goals, assists, yellow and red cards, and more...) than just the 4 stats on the standard card set.

Why can't these extra stats and information be included in the standard set every year? Does it increase the cost of the cards?

I think many MLS fans would appreciate the extra stats. If you agree feel free to send your comments to:

https://topps.custhelp.com/app/ask

18. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just busted open 9 cases of the 2015 Donruss soccer cards if anyone is looking for sets inserts , autographs or bulk lots send me a private message

19. FCDfaninzEP

FCDfaninzEP Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 8, 2018
    El Paso, TX
    I opened up a hobby box of MLS Stadium Club this weekend. 2 autos, nothing major.