Anybody got the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bianca_dee, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You expect them to recall 3 million phones because a minority of users are having problems?

There are plenty of videos showing people doing the death grip without any reception lost so I find it amusing that this is being labeled a "design flaw." A design flaw should affect all models.

Putting that aside people are being given 3 very viable options:

- free case to use if you are experiencing the problem
    - full money back garantuee
    - ability to exchange the phone for another

What more should have been done? If this flaw is really that big then the story won't go away and a recall will be inevitable. Otherwise it will all blow over shortly.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Agree with DDR above.

I've had the phone for 5 days now and I couldn't be happier. I've had zero problems with reception and I have no intentions on returning it.

I loved my 3G but this one definitely is a step up. The screen looks amazing. Another thing I noticed is that it also seems to detect wifi much much better than the 3G did.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scanning the Inquirer's site they remind me of Gizmodo, but worse. That's the problem with a lot of these internet sites, they're hack bloggers trying to pass themselves off as journalists. Scanning a few of the Apple posts and it seems like they have a bias against Apple, which is fine, but their writing comes across as hack blogging and nothing more.

Btw, I'm still rocking a launch day iPhone 4 with no problems, same goes for my wife and sister.

4. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Out of curiosity do you feel the need to put a bumper on it?

It get's released here on the 30th and I'm considering the big upgrade from my original 2007 iPhone. My contract with my cell provider has long expired, so I can likely get a new iPhone for peanuts (the 3GS was going for a cent back in Jan). I have to admit all this internet hype has made me weary, but at the same time my experience with my iPhone has been fantastic and our cellular coverage is years ahead of AT&Ts. I've never had dropped call problems.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well I like the bumper. I had one on my 3G and I have one on my 4. When I first got the phone I checked if I had a signal drop without the bumper on and it didn't. But I leave it on.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Okay, I've always used a leather sleeve on my iPhone. Think the bumper takes away from the nice design of the phone.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither my, nor my wife use a case and we haven't had a problem. I'll get a free bumper, but I'm not sure whether I'll use it or now. I like the way it looks without it.

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    No case or bumper and no problems at all. I've gone from 3G to this and this difference is very noticeable, the performance, camera, call quality and especially the screen.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's fair enough I suppose. It's just the almost religious zealotry of the some of their customers that I find mildly irritating. Y'know... it's just a phone?! ;)

There's a joke in the British satirical magazine Private Eye a week or so back with a couple of fat girls in short skirts, somewhat akin to Viz magazine's 'fat slags'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Slags

and an elderly couple. They're standing outside an Apple store. The fat slags, (VERY working class and dead common), are saying 'I'll 'ave to get 'me' 'usband to get me wun of these' and the elderly couple are saying 'These are very jolly, aren't they... maybe I could ask my daughter to get me one for christmas this year'.

Standing outside are a trendy couple in their late 20's/early 30's, carrying cafe latte's in polystyrene cups and copies of 'The Independent' newspaper saying 'OH GOD... WHO LET THEM INTO THE APPLE STORE'??? :D

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting run-down of the comparisons...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv-0xcciFE"]YouTube- HTC EVO 4G vs. iPhone 4 - Smartphone Smackdown![/ame]

I find the screen on the iPhone4 too small to be usable but that's due to my eyesight to be fair. One thing the guy does mention is that you're locked into the Apple i-whatever branding and products and that's a non-starter as far for me. Everything should be open-standards as far as I'm concerned.

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, technically it's not anywhere close to just a phone - in fact the phone use I get out of it is about 10% of the time I spend on it.

And I'm not sure avoiding products because of the fans is all that much different than buying it because everyone else does.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting run-down of the comparisons...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv-0xcciFE"]YouTube- HTC EVO 4G vs. iPhone 4 - Smartphone Smackdown![/ame]

I find the screen on the iPhone4 too small to be usable but that's due to my eyesight to be fair. One thing the guy does mention is that you're locked into the Apple i-whatever branding and products and that's a non-starter for me. Everything should be open-standards as far as I'm concerned.

13. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    With the other one you are looked into all Google apps and services. Don't kid yourself you leave the Android platform and you leave your apps, just the same as with Apple. You aren't going to be taking them to Windows 7 phone.

Am I alone in finding the EVO way to big, does that thing even slide into pant pockets with ease?

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't avoid them because of their 'fans, as you call them. :) If they brought out something I needed that was worth the extra money they normally charge then I'd pay one but that hasn't happened yet.

As you say, it's not just a phone but the point is it isn't THAT much better than competing products from other manufacturers whose customers generally don't bang on about them to such an extent.
    The extra screen size would make it more practical for me but, as I say, that's because my eyesight isn't what it was to be fair.

Regarding the 'apps'... frankly, I wouldn't buy anything other than a simple phone/camera thing because the benefit of the 'apps' isn't anything I'd want to pay for. Something that did mobile internet in a practical way would be useful but that's simply not gonna happen because ANY of the devices have screens that are either too small to be useful, (text sizes too small to read), or the devices are too large to be practical if the screens are big enough to actually use such as the iPad.

I've got a PC with a 1920x1080 screen and a little laptop with a 1024x768 screen and, to me mind, they're practical. Most of the other stuff on the market isn't IMO. That's not a criticism of the iPhone particularly but of the sorts of products that many people are buying now.

Bluntly, the idea of tapping away on a teensy weensy keyboard on a little box with a 3.5 inch screen would pall very quickly to my mind.

YMMV :)

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    From my experience it is that much better and it's totally worth the extra money, which is overstated by many. (Although other phones have certainly closed the gap.) If you can't give Apple tons of credit for the way they've captured what people want out of their electronic devices, and want to blame it on the clueless lemmings, you sound more reactionary than speaking from use experience and are missing the boat on why apple products are so popular.

No one came very close to getting it right before the iphone came along - the so called smart phones weren't of much interest to most phone users. And look at the iPad - no one cared at all about tablets until Apple figured out what they were for and how to package them in a way that folks would use and like.

And the truth is, Macs are more secure than PCs.

(I threw that last one in for fun.)

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The phones may be competitive for an equivalent. I wouldn't know because having tried them I can't see the screens on some of the new phones, (including iPhone's), anyway. They're just too small to be usable IMO.

But the PC's have been more expensive for a long time and I doubt it's changed recently. TBH, though, that's partly because I've never bought named/branded stuff being... well... extremely mean, essentially :D

Actually, thinking about it, I'm not even sure they make a desktop machine now, do they? Haven't they abandoned the bit of the market altogether? Well, that's certainly way of avoiding any criticism for your products being too expensive and no better than the competition. Just give up!
    Credit for 'capturing what people want'??? What the hell does that mean?

Am I to assume 'capturing what people want' comment is a convenient way of avoiding the fact that they come along AFTERWARDS, when other companies have made the basic mistakes, and try and avoid making the obvious ones, (albeit inventing new ones in the process as this recent episode proves).
    So can I take it you're typing these responses on your iPhone? ;)
    Er..... yeah :confused: You're gonna have to remind what that is again?
    I think you mean 'windoze', don't yer? Anyway, I can't remember... I haven't used it for 10 years.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So you didn't use cellphones at all before? Screens were way, way smaller even less than 10 years ago.

It means that while touch screen phones existed before the iphone they were never big. Apple took it to the next level and created a device that appealed to lots of people and made touch screen phones very popular. The fact that after the success of the iphone every single company was coming out with a similar device proves that.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've got a 'cheap and cheerful' phone with a built in camera, (that I hardly use), where the screen is just about big enough to see the number and caller appear but no more. It cost me about £20 IIRC and I buy £10 'top-ups' about once a year :) It probably costs people who call me quite a bit but then I never ring them back. Like I say, I am very, VERY mean. :)

I tried to use my daughters phone once and gave up because I just couldn't see what was on the screen or what any of the symbols meant.

I suppose I'm what you'd call a 'Bah, humbug' user :D

19. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You're either a hater or so misinformed that you shouldn't even be in the discussion.

From Apple's quarterly earning conference call. Doesn't seem like they've thrown in the towel when they continue to outgrow the competition across the board.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/07/15/idc.prelim.q2.2009/

Apple drops to 5th in US computer sales

Its market share is poised to remain the same at 7.6 percent but will have been eclipsed by Toshiba, which could jump over a full percentage point to ship 7.7 percent of PCs in the US.

[​IMG]

So that little red blob is something worth considering, is it? :D

Fact is that Apple still produces a few expensive, (and thus highly profitable), desktop machines, (my brother has one thinking about it), but the core of it's business has moved away from them towards laptops, phones, etc. That's kinda why they changed the name from Apple Computers to Apple a few years back.

Frankly, you rather remind me of those Microsoft figures that 'proved' that Windows Server was out-selling Linux on server installations. Er... yeah... :confused: that's probably because people don't buy Linux. It's free!

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/performance/Hosters?tn=may_2010

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Now a proud iPhone 4 owner! No reception problems and no death grip problems. I can hold it any way I like and it works like a charm. Really loving it, makes the 3G feels like a cheap toy and the screen is just amazing. Looking at how sharp text is rendered blows me away.

22. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a new 4. Sync with my itunes from my 3Gs. Now when I try to download a podcast, some say "This podcast is not compatable with this Iphone"

I'm using 4.1 software which come with the phone. wtf?

23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Verizon IPhone user! My palm pre for Sprint died today and I don't have an upgrade until 2012 with them so I paid $140 for the ETF and $200 for the new Iphone. Prefer doing that then spending $600 on an out of contract Evo (even though I really liked the Evo, would've got that if I had an upgrade now).

I'm loving it so far, no reception problems, no death grip, downloaded NBA Jam for it, its super fun, watched 5 mins of netflix as well....I'm never going back to a Palm.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So you downgraded from webOS to iOS?

Blah, blah, haters gonna hate, blah... :D

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still prefer the webOS but the phone is crap. I think webOS beats iOS and Android but the phone is terrible and theres no apps, but base for base, webOS wins.

P.S.
    Even with overclocking and installing home brew apps, patches, and scripts, the phone was terrible.