Anybody Else's Verdict?

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by billyireland, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That was your first mistake. :)

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, both of the cab drivers I had were nice and knew a lot about Rugby and Football/Soccer, so it wasnt bad

3. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like I was wrong!!!

3 Non nationals arrested! Thats what I call integrating.

4. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I heard that there was a Slovakian, 2 Latvians and someone else, and god knows what they were up to.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Fighting for a 32 county united Ireland or looking to get the latest flat screen TVs at an extreme discount.

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What I cant really understand is why it was called "Love Ulster" when the protesters wanted union with Britain. If they wanted people to love Ulster, they should have marching to united Ireland, wouldnt they? or do the Irish just want to leave things? I guess the question is, do you guys think Ireland should be united (I do, but because I am not affected, I dont count) or should it be left the way it is. As far as I know, because Ireland's (united) rugby team is one, people think it should be united, hence this

Come the day and come the hour, come the power and the glory,

We have come to answer our country.s call from the four proud provinces of Ireland.

Ireland, Ireland together standing tall.
    Shoulder to shoulder we.ll answer Ireland.s call!

From the mighty glens of Antrim, from the rugged hills of Galway,
    From the walls of Limerick and Dublin Bay, from the four proud provinces of Ireland.

7. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    hi everybody....im back
    well i guess im the only one here who has a differing view.....still i thought the namecalling was against the forum rules...but there you go...when you can hack it just namecall

so ********ing what...a riot...big deal
    paisley always shouts and raves anyway....sure who the hell listens to him
    the unionists and orange order thought that the southerners were a bit soft...funny...couldnt go back up north quick enough

sorry Billy boy dont know where you got the daft idea i was a unionist

anyway it will be forgotten in a week or so...so get over it...sure isnt this more interesting than chatting about burgers or wendys!!!!

im sure the chattering classes were mortified...but i tell ya.... me and my mates in the bar had a great luagh at it...i couldnt stop laughing at it all
    god...where the hell are ye guys from at all.....!!!dublin 4?

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    About right I suppose. Sitting in a bar. Fighting another battle for dear old Ireland from a barstool with the legions of other armchair republicans.

Wrap the green flag round me boys and shout me another Guinness; we're fighting the good fight for Mother Ireland until closing time.

You did get your medal for bravery and bullshit above and beyond the call of ordinary moronic behaviour, right? Wear it with pride.

9. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As an american with about 1/64 Irish blood, who has spent about a month and half of his life in Ireland, I dont really have a valid opinion, but as someone who cares for the state (not the state as in country, the affairs and how it is doing) of Ireland I have to wonder, is this really something to laugh at? :( Also, werent you in Wales? Im sure if you were in Ireland you wouldn't be laughing.

10. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    yes i was in wales...with a few of my mates...there are bars in wales too you know!!!
    fighting for ireland in the pub......yeah whatever samar...why dont you come off your highhorse
    what were the people protesting against? oh yeah the lovely...wouldnt hurt a fly Orange order.....with their anti- catholic...anti-irish rhetoric and billy boy songs...lovely.......great lads....bring your bigots to dublin for a nice walk
    what next for Mcdowell...the BNp have a lecture in trinity? or how about the KKK have a love in in stephens green
    what were the results of the riot........... orange order didnt get too march...great
    a few coppers got hurt...wow who cares
    dublin got a bit rowdy...really
    and the media and bent politicans were angry...good

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    So the fact that Paisley & co. are now not going to have to work with natioanlists & Republicans within the old arsehole's lifetime and probably for a good with beyond is a good thing? The fact that the nationalists up north are now going to have less say, by default pretty much, while the likes of Paisley take the high-ground and look the more responsible of the bunch... is a good thing? I hope you don't mind my asking, how?

12. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales

13. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    since when did Paisley ever have the high moral ground...you give him too much credit...
    him and his posse are having less and less say in the running of northern ireland....
    i dont think too many people listen to him...esp not too many in the Labour party......

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Just watch them - rightfully or not - take it after this.

And this little incident means the more nationalistic sides will probably lose some power. If power is lost by the nationalists, where is it going to go? That's right, the Unionists!

The old fart has enough people listening to him to make a difference; now he has a lot more ammo after Saturday.

15. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    i understand what you are saying
    but im talking about the underhand dealings that go on in politics....you know the Shinners are a dab hand at all that stuff

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Keeping wearing that moron medal with pride. You're probably in line for another one.

17. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    He's got a point. FT said that politics discussion was allowed here on probation - let's not wreck it. As bennocelt says, it's the most interesting area of conversation we're gonna get.

6 Gardaí, 7 civilians and Charlie Bird. If any of them had been more severely injured or died would you be saying the same?

:rolleyes:

Are the rioters any less bigoted? Oh, I forgot - rioting and looting in Dublin is 'no big deal'.

18. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    How was that not a facical sight in a democratic state?

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    They're the biggest party in NI by some margin. Tony Blair mightn't afford him much respect, but the people who do are the ones who can scupper progress. The events in Dublin played right into their hands, and will have pushed moderate Unionists further away (and understandably so).

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I know I may not know as much as some of you who live in Ireland, but I have been doing research for quite a while, and have tried my best to keep up to date with the latest news on this situation. Please just tell me if I am kind of on the correct path or if I am nowhere close.

Most citizens nowadays would rather just leave it like it is because the only way anything will change is with a lot of bloodshed and destruction to the country.

With that said I find what bennocelt has been spewing ridiculous. What Ben do you want Ireland to turn into the former Yugoslavia? Do you want mass genocides as well? The loyalist/protestants in the North do their thing, and the Catholics in the Republic do their thing. Is it that hard to leave it alone? I mean can't you sit down in a bar with a guy from Northern Ireland and just accept that they enjoy a different way of life than you? It's not like we're fighting the English anymore. Let's just leave it alone and if it does come to be that North and Republic unite then so be it. But let's just let it be until there becomes a real problem eh?

21. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I have some questions that you will all think are really stupid, but I am not taught about these things, so bear with me.

1.) Do the majority of the people in the Republic want to unite?
    2.) Do the majority of the people in the North wast to unite?
    3.) If yes for both, is England standing in the way?
    4.) What value is Northern Ireland to England?
    5.) Would we be having this discussion in Ireland had joined World War II (Churchill reportedly said "I will let there be a 32 county Ireland if you join")

There you have it :(

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    As far as I know....
    1. Yes, but alot dont care.
    2. No there was a vote a few years ago.
    3. Probably a little, but the Unionists are more in the way than England.
    4. Dunno.
    5. Eamon DeValera then President (Not Prime Minister) of Ireland signed the book of condolences in the German Embassy when Hitler died............

23. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thanks, and by the way, I do know who Eamon de Valera is :)

24. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    In fact the English Government are not standing in the way. They have stated they will only retain control of N.Ir until the people there no longer want them....... In fact the good Friday agreement states that when a majority of people on the north and a majority on the south vote for a united Ireland Britain will not stand in thier way. The reality is that the majority of people there do want them tho.

If a united Ireland were to ever happen somewhere in the region of one tenth?? of the population of the country would want some link to Britain to be retained. And thus could not be ignored. This in itself would cause huge problems.

As for Bens enlightening argument of "Dublin got a bit rowdy........ really"
    Aside from the futility of the march and the fact that many of those rioting were more yobs looking for a laugh then republicans with something to say.... I have a huge problem with emails and texts being sent to me telling me for my own safety to stay out of my city!! on a Saturday afternoon!!! So some scum can smash windows and rob shops!! Its ridiculous that your ordinary Dubliner was scared out of the city centre and some of those that did go in, locked into shops scared out of thier wits as windows are smashed and fires lit etc..... Scared out of thier city by scum- is that the united Ireland you boys want???

And what did it achieve- Gola bags and addidas runners are now being sold on the cheap. Orange men didnt walk past the GPO but did march up Leinster st. and my taxes that apparantly dont matter are wasted.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    DeValera was the head of the government, (Prime Minister or Taoiseach, whichever you care to use) from 1937 to 1948. He signed the book of condolences as Taoiseach, not President.