Any word on the Alternates

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by gb0888, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well one would hope she put that one in the back of the net. it was cherry pickin' an easy goal. it counts. glad she got it. but; man the feathers would have been flying if she had missed.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That wasn't cherry picking. Her assignment through the whole game was to be in the penalty box on corner kicks and other set pieces and to get her body in front of the keeper, from what I could see. That's a tough job in itself. Being a keeper myself, I know what kind of battle goes on in the box with all those bodies pushing, shoving, elbows up, and shirt holding. All in a matter of seconds. To get a foot on the ball and score is an accomplishment. She did good.

3. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    If Mitts had not broken her leg 6 weeks before WC camp she would have made the team over Bivens.She made the oly.team and deserves to be there get over it.She got the goal in the Canada game because she was at the spot that she was told to go to.Maybe if you would have seen the interveiw after the game you would have know that April told her to move up on the coner kick.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!

5. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Sounds like Mitts did not know what her assignment was and April had to remind her. Sometimes luck is really just good coaching. :)

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Some assignments are given before the game and some during and often changed. She did what she was supposed to and scored. Go Mitts!!

7. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

but, at least her face isn't cherry pickin'

8. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Boy someone doing what the coach ask and there something wrong with that.HERE WE GO NOW COMES THE APRIL BASHING or did Foudy tell Mitts i can't keep up with all the bashing. GO HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sorry....i do not recall Mitts breaking her leg. I believe you are thinking of heather O'Reily.
    secondly I would most certainly rather have mitts then Bivens and i have stated so in previous posts. But I want her there as a sub. i do not feel she is a starter.
    My starters would be (if all defenders are healthy)
    Cat, Kate (45) Brandi (45) Joy, Rampone.
    Mitts in as sub for Rampone or any other defender in the rotation for a rest if the game is under control.

10. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003

11. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Why all this talk of Mitts? She's good enough to make the team, enough said. I thought this thread was about the "alternates"; people that in an Alternate Universe would be playing in the Olympics...

12. j&bontherock

Can be a good thing for Mitts, she will be motivated to play even better soccer, she'll be on fire in Greece.

13. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    You missed my point. It was supposed to be sort of a joke, to get the thread back on topic, and away from Mitts...Anyway, if the Oly team is at Carson prepping, and the Alts. are supposed to be at practice with them, why was Lorrie Fair doing her MLS thing today? Guess it just shows the "alternate" designation means nothing.

14. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I wouldn't say it means "nothing."

It means they're getting a paycheck. That's better than the former roster players can say.

15. j&bontherock

do they get paychecks as an alternate, really ? ..i want to be an alternate too so i'll make money for doing nothing...

16. j&bontherock

Why there's never be a Lilly Bashing ? or Cat Reddick bashing ? i kinda tired of hearing people bash about Faudy, April and Mitts only, try someone else ...

17. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    My appologies. i had not heard anything about Mitts braking her leg so i thought perhaps it was O'Reilly. I stand corrected.

18. Arcangel

Arcangel New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    There was some j&bontherock bashing recently in case you missed it. :)

19. gb0888

gb0888 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    alternates practice with the team until they leave for Greece. They don't sit around doing nothing. Fair probably had a commitment after her release. Will any of the Alternates play in Blaine this week?
    Thanks for getting this back on track, enough Mitts bashing.

GB out......

GO USA IN GREECE!!!!

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Because Lilly, Cat, and others don't have good reason for bashing. Foudy and Ape (Mitts is arguable) do. They make mistakes, and aren't perfect by any means. But when a player gets bashed, its usually for a reason, even though it sometimes is overdone.

21. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Bivens wasn't burned at all in the World Cup! It is Sob's that needed to be covered by Joy and Cat. Watch the German game again rather than making random remarks about a players performance.

22. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I sat in the Corner closest to her in the Nigeria game for the last half, I was speaking about the entire WWC, not just one game. By the way at the Nigeria game, I saw Mia make more Def Plays in that corner than Bivens

Random - NO, but I would not brag about her play in the Germany game either, she was barely adequate. She is a player that really needs the WUSA to develop.

SA has the officail announcement - Fair, TR, Mac and Solo - With Solo being the only one that travels

23. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    You and I are must be talking about another player. I too saw the Nigeria game and Bivens played a solid game there too. And Korea and Norway and yes the Germany game as well. I am assuming by your name that Mitts is you player so there is probably no reason to debate it. Sometimes people are so wrapped up in their emotions and bias for a player, they cannot see things as they really are. We will just have to agree that we disagree.

24. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Anyone know why we are only taking one alternate? In Sydney we took two. With Solo already being across the ocean, I would think we could spring for another alternate to travel with the team ...??

25. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I thought it would be two traveling alternates--guess not, and I don't know why. I guess the USSF just thinks (correctly) it's very unlikely an alternate will be needed, still...I do think the Olympic team is a bit thin at forward (although Tarpley can and I'm sure will play there.) I worry about Hamm every game with all the fouls suffered, Parlow could knock herself out again, I expect a bit of recklessness from Wambach and O'Reilly...how long does it take to fly to Greece?