Any skills from Snowboarding transfer over?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Dec 23, 2019.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I'm wondering if there is anything to be gained from snowboarding that can help a kid in soccer. For context: My kid is now playing indoor (u6). The coach wants to do another season right after this one ends. But my kid's mom bought him a snowboarding pass and plans to take him every Saturday (yeah she's ambivalent about soccer unfortunately). So he will miss the next/upcoming indoor season (they play on Saturdays).
    I'm trying to find a silver lining in the snowboarding. I know skills from basketball and tennis transfer over to soccer, but snowboarding? It requires balance. But the feet are stationary. Can you think of anything? thx

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Fun? What does your son want to do? Does he want to play another session of indoor or does he want to snowboard? Can he do both (either snowboard before/after games)? At that age, let him do (almost) any athletic activity he wants.

Do NOT pressure him. Missing a session of indoor at U6 isn't going to impact him at U7, much less when he becomes a teenager.

bigredfutbol and Roger Allaway repped this.
  3. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #3 NewDadaCoach, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    He seems to like soccer quite a bit, and also likes other activities. He has only snowboarded twice so he is still very much a beginner. He likes basketball and baseball (from us just playing around and him playing with friends at the school grounds). But his mom doesn't seem much into anything other than snowboarding. He can't do basketball either in the winter because the games are on Sat and that's when his mom wants to board because she has work off. I think it's good for him to go boarding but she could/should do it on Sundays, but the dumb ho "needs a day off" after boarding... gimme a break. Pardon my french. I'm just pissed that I ended up having a kid with the 1% of females who doesn't support her kid playing soccer when he clearly has a knack for it. wtf. So many moms sign their kids up and go to the games but no not my kid's mom. sorry to rant
    I'm not pressuring him. The indoor coach asked who can do another session and now we can't for pointless reasons. Sure, one year doesn't matter much but if this happens every year it could mean the difference between a D1 scholarship or not by the time he's at that age.
    I believe when a kid shows some heightened talent for something you should support that. He's more likely to get into a top academic school if he's recruited for soccer than purely on grades, so why would you not support that as a parent; I don't get it.

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn’t worry about all of that…with your attitude, you’ll have ruined soccer for him by U12….

kinznk repped this.
  5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Let me say this again. HE. IS. FIVE. Stop worrying about a D1 scholarship. "Clearly has a knack for it" at five years old means he doesn't pick flowers during a game/practice.

I think there's a thread about kids playing other sports. There is an advantage to it. They don't get burned out, they work different muscle groups, and they make new friends and have fun. Maybe he'll be a better snowboarder than he is a soccer player.

Maybe the reason his mom is not as supportive is because she sees you being OVER supportive. You're trying to get him recruited and worrying about what school he goes to at least a decade before you need to.

You still haven't said what HE wants to do. "Son, would you rather go snowboarding, play basketball, or play soccer?" And do NOT, under any circumstances, give him any hints or suggestion on what YOU want him to do.

mwulf67 repped this.
  6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This…I want to say something similar, but I am struggling to say it in a way that doesn’t come across as mean-spirited… I'll try anyway...suffice to say, to the OP, it is very likely your kid isn’t nearly has good or the prodigy as you think he is…sure, he has some early talent and ability, he tears up the small sized games/fields, and it all probably comes easy to him…but that’s owed more to the lack of quality across the board at that age then anything your son is doing…

But, in a few short years, every else catches up, the talent and quality gap narrows, your son will have to work hard just to be average or decent…even harder to be anything more…and he will only put the work in if he still loves the game…lots of very talented kids leave soccer in the their pre-teens because they either never really had that love or it gets snuffed out be over-supportive parents and/or overbearing coaches…soccer should be he’s thing; not yours…

bigredfutbol and Momoftheday repped this.
  7. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Big Soccer is littered with parents of soccer prodigies who post for a couple of years then stop posting. We rarely get to hear how the kids "career" turned out.

8. Momoftheday

Momoftheday New Member

AC Milan
    Mexico
    Aug 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love your enthusiasm, NewDadaCoach. As a mom coach though - its because at this age you don't know exactly what your kids if really going to be into one year from now, let alone 10.

As a coach, while I am holding winter sessions, I encourage my players to pursue other interests as well, even if it conflicts with soccer. Even if there are no direct physical benefits to another activity, 5 year olds should not be encouraged to be monomaniacal about anything.

I also know what is like to be an enthusiastic parent. I'm still a newbie in the game; my kid is 9 and the talent catch-up is extremely real. The drop-out due to other interests is real. The burn-out is also unfortunately real, even at this age. What is also real is that your kid is 5 once and if he wants to try snowboarding and you have the means to do it, go do it and stay in the moment of a 5 year old little bit cruising down a mountain.

bigredfutbol, mwulf67 and sam_gordon repped this.
  9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Or later. Three kids from our U16, 2nd year state championship team (3 out of the last four) decided not to return for the U17 year. One of those actually quit half way through the U16 season. I mention the state championships not to brag (ok, maybe a little) but to say these were VERY talented kids. Two of the three were starters, one played every minute. Things change.

mwulf67 and Momoftheday repped this.
  10. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Snowboarding and skiing is a lot of fun! 10/10 boarding over indoor soccer @5 years old. lol.

11. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I just wanted to see what benefit snowboarding would provide vs other sports. Would have been great if he had been able to do basketball instead of snowboarding. Lots of running and hand-eye coordination.
    Sure, he'll be ok snowboarder but not a pro; he'd have to move to a resort town for that. Plus it's super hard to make a living from that vs other sports.

Ideally he'd get 10k hours of soccer in by the time he's say 14. Then he'll have a shot of being the best he can be. So I have try and stay on track.
    He wants to play various sports - pretty much all the typical youth sports.

12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I don't think he's a prodigy. Had one outdoor season. In that league he was let's say top 1%. Now in an indoor league with a completely new set of kids. There's an A division and a B division. We are in B. He is the one of the top scorers in B, and his team is dominate in B. But in A we would only be middle of the pack. I have watched a lot of the A teams play, and I know where they are from. It's a good sampling of U6 city-wide. I'd say city-wide my kid is probably in the 10th percentile. So no, not the best, not a prodigy, but competitive. (He has scored in every game outdoor and indoor, so 16 straight games)

Yes, I know he could leave and that's fine, but he deserves a chance. Look at pros, they all had support systems. It is necessary.
    I also think it is ok to push a kid a little; they are too young to know what they like or what is best for them.

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Thanks Mom for the feedback. I see other kids that have more soccer zealous parents and it makes me feel pressure to train my kid so that he can compete with their kids. Unfortunately, there is a lot of competition out there. So it is only natural for me to strategize on how my kid can compete, or think about where he stacks up. Look at the pros, they all had supportive parents or family members or siblings, coaches, etc... that created an environment for them to thrive and grow. So I just want that for my kid otherwise he won't be able to fulfill his highest potential.
    I want to create "Soccer Playdates". Right now I play adult pickup games but there are none for kids. So am thinking of starting something like kick pickup games but will just start with some friends, start small, and call them playdates so that it's clear that the parents are responsible for their kids. Thoughts?

14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I want him to snowboard, I just want them to do it on Sundays and then he can still play basketball or soccer on Saturdays. But alas, I have lost the battle. Can't win 'em all.
    At least snowboarding is physical. I think it will build some of his leg muscles, and good for balance. Beats video games. I'll continue playing 1v1 with him during the week.

15. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Big. Whoopee. Deal. On one hand, that’s great and all; he should enjoy it, as should you. On the other hand, it means next to nothing long term...

Enjoy the moment, and stop talking about, worrying about going pro or D1 scholarships….Stop over analyzing everything your son does or doesn’t do…it’s going to drive you crazy, and more importantly him, if not away…

And don’t kid yourself into thinking he’s not picking up on your pressure and obsession with “maximizing his competitive soccer abilities” and your wet dreams of him gong pro or landing D1 scholarships…

And no, it’s not natural, normal, nor healthy to dwell on, talk about, obsess over your 5 year old going pro or playing in college…

16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    And it's possible he'd have to move to a more soccer centric city to go pro.

I'm curious where you pulled that number from.
    10k hours over 10 years (even counting this year) is 1k/year. Divide by 365 days and, according to you, he'd need 2.7 hours EVERY day for ten years. I'm guessing you're behind.

Why do I keep falling for this? It can't be real.

mwulf67 and kinznk repped this.
  17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think you should move to Spain and get him in some serious soccer. I mean get the house on the market now bro!

No but seriously, as a soccer player and a skier - nothing transfers over. That said, I've seen plenty of 5 year old boys who are great grow out of the sport as a result of interest and skill. Essentially at his age - it's way too ealry to tell.

Find a great soccer coach to help him develop and then look for a competitive pool at u11/u12 with a great coach. Let im grow into other sports - especially school sports which will help him socially - that is massive IMO. Provide opportunity where he has interest and always support him 100%!

For example - my daughter tried cheer for the first time this year. She has played travel since 4 and is a "jock" sort of girl. So I cringed at the thought. But I did not say no or discourage her. After her first cheer (basketball game), she wanted to quit but I made her stay in. At the end she had a great time and loved it but realized that she is a sports girl first and foremost.

In other words she gravitated back to what she had a passion for.

So don't get worked up and let him try everything along the way.

18. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Search other recent threads for info about a great opportunity to send him (and your ex) to Barcelona to train. Bet she won't turn down the opportunity for that kind of sports experience! I hear it is a great opportunity for youngsters to really develop their love of the game. He'll get noticed by international scouts, and she will be out of your hair for a week or two, all for less than $10k.

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm interested to know what Region you are in.

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    LOL - I gather you are being sarcastic. If this 5 year old is on a B team and local to Chicagoland I would say take him to Soccer City and let him play with the Sockers boys too see how close or far he really is before spending all that cash.

21. Momoftheday

Momoftheday New Member

AC Milan
    Mexico
    Aug 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like this idea and run something similar in the summer but keep in mind, no matter what you call them, insurance and the law may define it differently - just make sure your bases are covered.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    You call it open play and find a park and just use email. No website or registration. As long as it is "un-organized" you are fine. But I again, this should be something at the u12 level IMO. All this talk for a 5 year old is very pre-mature. No offense but it's really silly.

23. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The number is well known - not sure where it originated, but Malcom Gladwell popularized it in his book Outliers, where he analyzes how much time went into people at the top of their professions - he looks at for ex, Michael Jordan, the Beatles, and professional Violinists, etc. It takes many hours, deliberate practice, community support, etc... to make it to the top.
    Yes I'm behind, and 10k hours by 14 is probably not achievable. Maybe 5k hours is doable?

24. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    "No but seriously, as a soccer player and a skier - nothing transfers over."
    Bummer; but thanks for the input. At a min, it's probably better to snowboard/ski than say play video games. At least it's a physical workout; probably has anaerobic benefits. Good job with the daughter.

25. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    It sounds great but too expensive. I don't think soccer has to / should cost a lot. I will start soccer playdates (ie - pickup games) for local kids to get touches outside of league play. that is how it seems to be done in South America and Africa.