Any one train in Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by BigGuy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I have not.

I did have a run in with a Judo Guy as a young kid once. It did not turn out to well for the Judo guy because after he throw me I got mad. I have to say I had a very unfair advantage over him at that time.

My youngest son 25 is into Brazilain JuJitsu. From him doing it and talking about it I got caught up in it myself but I do not train. I think it is like art as I think soccer is an art.

As far as MMA's go I can do without the punching.

My son trained with Renzo Gracie and some of his friends train with Matt Serra in Long Island.

2. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I trained for 2 years in MMA kickboxing and no gi jui jitsu. Had 2 amateur smokers fight. Won one lost one. Had a great time and was probably the best shape I have ever been in my life. I am looking to go back to do just kickboxing soon..hopefully.

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been training in Krav Maga for about 8 months now, with some ground fighting thrown in.

I've practiced Shorin-Ryu Karate and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in the past as well.

4. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Anyone ever experience the "Flow State"

Like if you are being upended in the air. It seems to be occuring in slow motion. So you think you maybe able to land back on to your feet. I have that happen to me and was wondering if some of you guys had that feeling when in the air?

This description of "seeing in slow motion" is one of the common characteristics of someone who is in a "Flow" state.

Simplistically speaking, there are certain conditions which need to be met in order to achieve this state. IIRC, one condition is that the challenge being presented to the individual must be at (or slightly higher) than his current ability to handle it. Too high (for too long), and it can cause anxiety/frustration .

For a fascinating read regarding this, I would recommend a book entitled: "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

5. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that happened to me during training I got rocked pretty hard, the only time I got caught that hard and everything went silent and slowed down. Thank god it was during training so my buddy let me of the hook and didn't knock my ass out.

6. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Been training martial arts since i was 4 years old. Started learning BJJ in 2000 and shortly after started training no-gi submisison wrestling/mma with Australia's leading MMA team. Unfortunately a few months ago work got in the way and my training stopped.

Have had the opportunity of rolling with guys like Jardine, Marquardt, Diego Sanchez as our team is strongly linked with Greg Jacksons school and they have came down under for a visit.

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Maybe they will have a UFC event in Australia. Then who knows they might use some local talent in that event.

I used to do some minor business with people in Australia during the 1980's. But never had to go to Australia to do it. They came to the states to conduct business.

Those people who I met made a big impression on me. You have great people in Australia.

My oldest son almost moved to Tasmania as a younger guy. He fell in love with a Aussi co-ed going to school here. Then he changed his mind.

The problem with MMA and soccer is it is hard to make really good money doing it.

8. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dana White has said that he is looking for the UFC to expand further into Europe, Asian and Australia. So a UFC in Australia could happen. Still at least 2 years away i think though.

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    This is a true story that might interest a guy from Australia.

The Australian that came here to NYC to do business was a man and his wife in their 30's.

He owned a dress manufacturing business called Voyager industries or enterprises forget the rest.

I was to pick him up at his hotel and take him to my boss. We did not sell piece goods.

Some black bum on the street approached them for a hand out money. They said no and he got nasty from the refusal.

I saw that got out of my car and was going to open up the guys head with a baseball bat.

Next thing you know both the Husband and the Wife are beating the crap out of the black guy.

I did not have to hit him. I drove the wife to a department store and drove her husband to my boss.

I loved Australians after that.

10. ryan_scott

ryan_scott New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I train Muay Thai and Gracie Jui Jitsu at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy under greg nelson, which is the school sean sherk, nick thompson, brock lesnar, and brock larson go to

I've done boxing, judo and karate in the past, and have trained more mma for about a year, my striking is coming along well and I'm going to start fighting in some muay thai smokers soon, the BJJ on the other hand... still needs some work :D

11. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    My son has done some Karate.

The striking he did a lot of striking on the street. He hung out with a bad crowd you would know the name of the guy he worked for before I put a stop to it.

He once fought 6 guys armed with screw drivers and baseball bats he was bare handed. He was stabbed twice and had his arm broke near the elbow with the baseball bat and still knocked two of them out and he got away. He needed 2 operations from the baseball bat shot.

Then he found BJJ under Renzo Gracie and never get's in street fights any more. He trains at least 3 days a week. He is now in another school here in Brooklyn and demostrates.

I got caught up in the BJJ side of it from watching him train a really beautiful sport.

12. ryan_scott

ryan_scott New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    that sucks your son has run into trouble like that, luckily i never have, even with the training i'd run if i could, BIG difference between sport and street fights, especially when everyone around here walks around in packs and with guns

the karate i did was useless, theres no good schools near me (NY is probably better), the whole style was really weakened in america as a whole compared to japan, which is unfortunate

13. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    BJJ is not that good when the opponent has a sticking weapon. Even if your good your going to get stuck.

14. ryan_scott

ryan_scott New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    closing the distance, an important strategy in BJJ, is a definite no no against a knife haha

i figure if someone pulls a knife, the quicker you realize and accept that theres no way around not getting cut, the better you'll do