Any news on Dong Fangzhuo

Discussion in 'China' started by melonbarmonster, Jun 1, 2009.

1. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Does anyone here know what happened to this guy? Why did he go back to China. I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find a team in Europe after being at Manchester United.

2. YenSter

YenSter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He went back to Dalian, he's done Ok coming back but hasn't set the league alight like when he first left. He still should have stayed in Europe or gone to a championship club.

3. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    So why did he come back to China? Why couldn't he find a team in Europe?

4. mehdan

mehdan New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He probably lost a lot of confidence, homesick and very little playing time for a very long time.....

There was a time when Watford, Sunderland and Burnley were interested (summer 07 i think)

Never understand why ferguson didn't loan him out. ????????
    I dont buy shirtseller theory.

Im still kinda pissed. He was our best hope, kicked ass in Belgium, even if it was second division.

5. Football Mad

Football Mad New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Melbourne,AUS
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    disappointing how there was so much promising signs for him once he moved to europe,
    hope he gets back to planning regularly and maybe picked for national team.

6. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    He should have stayed in Belgium even if it was second division. He's wasting his time in China.

7. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think he has more opportunity to go back
    since i believe he already stayed in belgium for enough time to gain some sort of work permit or citizenship

yet again, i heard he didn't abolish his chinese citizen lol.

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I don't think Dong went solely to United to sell shirts, but that was a major part of it, he was never that incredibly dominant in the CSL and there were a number of better players than him in the league.

Dong was never going to play for United and there were no other European teams interested in him. He made the right choice heading back to China, hopefully he can re-establish himself, but its going to be hard, he's far from even the best player on Dalian, with no goals and only 1 assist so far this season.