Any EMusic subscribers out there?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by NotAbbott, Sep 7, 2002.

1. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'm duly impressed that Universal has actually dropped a bunch of back catalog on the service, with no restrictions (in the U.S., at least, but I'm not sure how they enforce that). Could a major label finally be getting a clue?

For the record, I used to work for EMusic, although not for the downloadable music operation, but I thought it was a good idea before that. For a wide variety of reasons, I've never even used Napster or it's progeny, but that's an entirely different debate.

Later,
    COZ

2. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was a trial member. It was 30 days or 100 downloads for free.

I downloaded a 7 CD Coltrane boxed set, a Del album and a Bis album. It was beautfiul.

RS

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a trial member now, 14 days or 50 downloads, whichever comes first.

It's not bad, although I don't know about paying $12 a month considering that a lot of the bands I listen too don't have their stuff on the p2p networks so I buy the stuff (was that just a run on sentence?).

4. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Well, that's always been the knock on EMusic...not enough well-known artists. At least I think that's what you're getting at. But as a jazz guy, I'm in heaven. I downloaded about 2/3 of the Real Book (it's a standardized songbook for jazz musicians) *before* they added all the Verve stuff. That's something like 250 jazz standards right there.

And now they've got what looks like the entire Residents catalog.

Later,
    COZ