Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Moore is not involved? Pass on it. Probably worse than the movie.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll buy it and look at it as completely separate from the original.

I have faith in the awesomeness that is Darwyn Cooke.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocket Raccoon? okay....??

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think thats a promo piece, its not some big new team or something. Raccoon is a Guardian I think.

6. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Johnny31

Johnny31 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have been rereading Thorgal. Some of the issues I had not read since I was 15-16. It still holds up fairly well, although some aspects of the plot and even the dialogue have a different effect once you realize they were borrowed/stolen from other works. Kriss de Valnor stays one of my top five female comic book character. The series does not suffer from the kind of creative anemia that plagued the latter issues of "XIII", which was a possibility with both series sharing the same writer. It's hard to imagine that the same man that created some of the two-dimensional male fantasies in the more recent "XIII" issues also created the likes of Aaricia and Kriss de Valnor. "The Archers" as a single issue and the "City of the lost God" trilogy as a multi-issue story arc are still the two high-points of the series for me. "The Archers" is as close to a perfect comic book I have ever read.

[​IMG]

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone read Maus? I got a minor in German, but my proficiency is pretty poor, just curious if it's much for a simple read... (I say simple rather than easy, as I don't imagine it's easy at all).

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rocket Racoon is a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. He's always had a cult following and has recently been heavily involved in the space-oriented side of Marvel. It's probably a good idea to heavily promote him since Marvel announced a Guardians of the Galaxy movie for 2014.

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being serious? Maus is in English. It's by an American cartoonist named Art Spiegelman. It doesn't even take place in Germany. Parts are in Poland, and parts are in the U.S. It's a Holocaust story set within a frame story about a man and his father, a survivor.

12. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was serious... The only time I've ever seen it in a book store was in Germany, in German... I just assumed since I don't really frequent the graphic novel sections in the US...

K, I'm done pretending like that wasn't really embarrassing. My bad lol

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Still, you should read it. Great literature.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope you didn't read my reply with a snarky voice. It was supposed to be completely explanatory. It's really a brilliant piece of work.... there are actually 2 of them. Maus and Maus II. I actually wondered if you'd seen it in Germany, but I wasn't completely sure if they would sell it there due to restrictions on swastikas that I've heard about. I just went to amazon.de and they even sell it with the normal cover. Anyway, it makes sense that someone might think it was in German with the German title.

15. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I kinda did read it in a snarky voice :)

But yeah, I don't really frequent the graphic novel sections in bookstores around here that often, so I'd really only seen it there. I didn't realize it was a translation. Now I wish I'd gotten it when I was there... It looked really interesting and I've always heard good things.

16. VincentVega

VincentVega Member

May 11, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Just finished a Marvel mini series , 10 books entitled Foolkiller. Started well , interesting, and very promising , but the last couple of issues were a bit of a let down , sort of hurried to meet the announced final episode . Still recommend it.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received the trades of the first 24 issues of Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America. I am excited to see what the hub-bub is all about.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you like Brubaker then you'll probably dig it. The next Cap movie is supposed to be heavily influenced by part of it.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone reading the Avengers vs X-Men mini and tie-ins? I've gotta say, it's a big meh from me.

Marvel really needs to stop with these constant crossover events, it's getting tiring and is diluting the stories.

DC on the other hand is knocking it out of the park with a lot of their series. I'm reading all the Green Lantern books as well as most of the Bat-titles. I'm loving Snyder and Capullo's stuff on Batman.

21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 on the Avengers vs X-Men. I've only been collecting the main title run, but even that earns a "WTH?" every once in a while. I also still don't understand why they put John Romita on their main title run. Not a fan of the artwork.

I've enjoyed the Bat-titles (especially the Court of Owls cross over), but the rest of the DC stuff earns a steaming turd in my book. They took everything I enjoyed about the Green Arrow and threw it down the drain. Same with GL. I enjoyed the Sinestro Corps run, and the Blackest Night stuff, but then it just went weird. Also, Bryan Miller's run on Batgirl was amazing. Why mess that up and bring back Babs?

Also, why in the world does Rob Liefield keep getting work? That guy is terrible! Sure, he created some decent characters, and an awesome character in Deadpool, but for the more part his stuff is ridiculous.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Darwyn Cooke mini-series about the Minutemen is pretty good. I checked out the rest and they're all pretty blah.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    JRJR has a reputation as a great artist. His work on X-Men back in the late 80s was really quite good but he's turned into a sketchy, churn out the pages since then and not even remotely fun to read/look at now.

Avengers v. X-Men as a whole is a good concept but lacking in execution. Part of that is because Marvel used all of their top writers to create the plot but then broke up the issue-by-issue writing to each of the various writers. Some of which are better than others but still making the whole thing a choppy pastiche.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone here going to NYCC?

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I just discovered that Marvel did a comic serialization of Stephen King's "The Stand".

Can anyone give me their opinion of that series? Is it worth getting?