Any advice on where to stay in Lyon

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by hearts123, Feb 8, 2016.

1. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I called them directly. The lady I spoke to spoke perfect English.

hearts123 repped this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not precisely accurate; you have to take into account that offal is a big part of a bouchon's fare: andouille (sausage made with tripe), tablier de sapeur (a marinated and breaded piece of cow stomach) and pigs' ears are well-known specialties. you will find more than just that but just to let you know.

3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I love tripe. ;-)

4. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Do you still have the number please? I'd like to book it as a surprise for the m8s. Don't think they are as into Tripe as I am ;-)
    Thanks

5. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Le Garet's number is +33 4 78 28 16 94

hearts123 repped this.
  6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    bumping this to see if anyone is still interested.

so far people have mentioned being their June 13-15 and July 2-8. I'd probably only be able to do this weekends, but an evening when you don't need to get to a match could be doable.

it would be sightseeing: monuments, neighborhoods... i'm not a great deal of help for nightlife. a part of it we could do by bike since there's a very cheap and convenient bikeshare system.

i've shown people around town before so have lots of ideas but if there are any special interests or questions we could plan it out mutually.

7. MyB5

MyB5 Member

May 21, 2006
    Scandinavia
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thx for your offer. I'm interested. I'll be in Lyon 25-28/6 and again 4-7/7...Velo bikes perfect :)

8. jcsc

jcsc Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Another one to stay in Lyon to see Portugal-Hungary. :)

9. VaiBrasil

VaiBrasil Member

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Our group arrives Fri Jun 24 AM and is there until Mon Jun 27 AM. If it ends up working, I'd take you up on this offer. As mentioned, we are staying in old district, St Jean.

10. TomMoore321

TomMoore321 Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I have read that the stadium is in a quiet suburb on the edge of the city. Are there any bars or places to drink near the stadium at all? I am going to Ukraine v Northern Ireland and I want to watch the England vs. Wales game in a bar before going to the stadium. Watching it in the city centre doesn't seem realistic given the amount of time it will take to reach the stadium.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'll work out a plan this w/e to run by the different interested parties.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's not even a suburb, it's greenfields. from Grange Blanche you would probably JUST have time to get out there on time but it's not the liveliest neighborhood in the world either, it's the land of a thousand hospitals.

here's a possibility though - they just MIGHT show england-wales on the stadium big screens. and they have real beer at concessions (a new thing in france) and i saw that a pint of heineken is 5€ which is about the going rate in any bar that shows matches.

13. TomMoore321

TomMoore321 Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Thanks for your help. Just to clarify, do you mean screens inside or outside the stadium? I ask as I thought alcohol was not on sale inside the stadium, but your post implies otherwise (unless you mean concession stands immediately outside the stadium?).

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i just read of a place called Le Couëron that is about 10 min walk fromt he stadium and is supposed to be doing a terrace with big screen on match days. you can call them at 04 72 02 00 58 to see if they are doing england-wales, my guess is yes.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as for showing people around, just to say June 13-15 isn’t possible for me, only weekends. Just so it doesn’t seem like I’m blowing anyone off.

16. Leigh Shrimper

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Southend United FC
    Thanks for the info.

Just looked on a map and Le Coueron is right on top of the Stadium. On their web site they say they are doing a meal menu for 25 Euros and showing the game on a big screen but what they actually mean is showing the Ukraine v Northern Ireland game on the screen.
    My French is not good enough to call them and ask if they will show the England v Wales game as well. It would be great if they can take bookings for this as well?
    I will be at this match on my own but it would be good if we could find out how many of us on here want to maybe book a table for the England v Wales game? As I don't really want to call them and book a table for one person.

Also if anyone wants a lift down from the Lille area to Lyon on Thursday get in touch with me.

17. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where is the best place to go for a jog? Need to find a way to get some excercise in lol

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    parc de la tête d'or. the run around the paths just inside the fence is 3.9 km, but there are lots of ways to go.

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Staying may not be such an issue as Lyon has a good public transport network, but I would heartily recommend the area round the King Arthur pub for a night out. Plenty of restaurants around there, and it seems to be a crossroads for all the fans in the area. The pretty English barmaid also has a very nice bottom, so worth a visit.

Timanfaya and guignol repped this.
  20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'd never heard of this place, but it seems to have been there for 2-3 years already and looks very nice. it's just next to the rue mercière which indeed is the n°1 restaurant street in town.

21. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Guignol, I had lunch today at Le Garet. It was truly amazing. Thanks for your suggestion! If you ever come to NYC, I will gladly return the favor.

guignol repped this.
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but i didn't do anything!

23. TomMoore321

TomMoore321 Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I just tried to call them but I was on hold for ages. Has anyone had any luck getting through to them to check if they are televising the England game?

David Cooney repped this.
  24. David Cooney

David Cooney New Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Managed to get through to le coueron this morning and booked a table for lunch at 1400. Lady who I spoke to was very helpful and confirmed that we would be able to watch England v Wales there. Hope this helps.

guignol repped this.
  25. TomMoore321

TomMoore321 Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    #100 TomMoore321, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks David! We will head up there and hopefully get a table.

EDIT: Rang up and booked a table through the language barrier! Staff were extremely helpful and also confirmed they'll be televising the match. We booked a table for 1pm so we will have plenty of time there.