Any advice on where to stay in Lyon

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by hearts123, Feb 8, 2016.

1. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Going to base ourselves in Lyon and then travel to Marseilles for the QF and then back up to Lyon for the SF then hopefully on to Paris for the final.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation in Lyon or areas to stay or avoid.
    Thanks

2. Lukous

Lukous Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Hello, I currently live in Lyon. Obviously lots of hotels and AirBnB possibilities, it's a big city. The stadium is far outside the center so best option anyway is to stay in the center. The areas I would recommend are the 1st and 2nd arrondissements - areas of Bellecour - Hotel de Ville - Croix Paquet - Croix Rousse (equivalent to Montmartre in Paris) - Vieux Lyon. In a nutshell, between the 2 rivers (Rhône and Saône), what we call "la presqu'île". It's full of lovely streets, restaurants, bars, very "alive"

hearts123 repped this.
  3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for your advice it will come in very handy.

4. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @guignol and @lefutur were very helpful in the Lyon forums

Another cheaper alternative for you and others would be to stay in St.Etienne instead

guignol and hearts123 repped this.
  5. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Thanks, Lyon forums? Didn't know there were any :) So what is St Etienne like? Is it far from Lyon? Easy to get from there to my other destinations? Marseilles and Pairs? Are costs lower?
    Thanks

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    sainté - lyon is 45m by train (R/T 23€) or 1h by car. it's not the worst little town in the world but it only takes about half an hour to see the sights, whereas lyon is one of the most beautiful cities in europe. for hotels i can't help much but i doubt any difference in cost would offset travel costs.

to get to paris or marseilles you come down to lyon anyway, the line Paris-Lyon-Marseille is the main drag of the TGV system.

there's lots of info about getting to the lyon stadium (which is not actually in lyon but bab-el-oued) in the stadium thread of the france board.

7. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Thanks a lot of great advice there. As you say when adding travelling between the 2 it's probably as well staying in Lyon if we can get decent accommodation.
    I'll look around and see if we can maybe get a house or flat for 12 days.
    Thanks again

8. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Are you able to please tell me much about the Vénissieux area? Is it a safe part of town and easily accessible to the Lyon stadium? Cheers

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, i live a couple of blocks from Venissieux; it's got a ghetto reputation but first, that only refers to a couple of projects, not the whole municipality, and even those compared to US standards are pretty safe. with an exact address i could help you more, Venissieux is quite big and varied.

from Gare de Venissieux it's 4 métro stops to Grange Blanche. from there a tram takes you to an external stadium parking area with shuttles that run as fast as they can load them, about 1 every minute. There's no great way to get to the stadium now that they've moved out to the middle of nowhere but i've found that that's the least bad way. about 40 minutes to the stadium entrance from Gare de Venissieux.

10. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The address of the hotel is Chemin du Charbonnier, Vénissieux, 69200

Are you able to tell me much about this area? Thanks.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's an industrial area. absolutely nothing to see or do there, but there's a bus line that runs down it that gets you to the gare de venissieux in just a few minutes.

12. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I've booked Hotel Athena, 5 Boulevard Marius Vivier Merle,

Any info?

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's right at the RR station, from where tram shuttles leave for the stadium, and right across from the biggest mall in town, hard to beat for convenience. it's a good, comfortable business hotel from what i've heard.

14. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    cheers mate

15. MadridistaCR7

MadridistaCR7 Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Where is the exact location of the stadium and public transport

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the stadium is out in Décines about 10-12km from the center of town. there are two ways to get there by tram: a special leaves from the Part-Dieu train station downtown and goes right to the stadium in 20 min. the other os the normal T3/T5 line that takes you to an exterior parking lot from where shuttle buses leave for the stadium as fast as they can fill 'em.

http://www.parc-ol.com/acces/

is an official page on how to get there - i'm surprised it's not in english but the whole OL website is being relooked (today) and so far they only have the french, korean and chinese versions up, so maybe this page will be in english soon.

MadridistaCR7 repped this.
  17. MadridistaCR7

MadridistaCR7 Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thank you very much ![emoji4]

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i made a little booboo there - just to be perfectly accurate the line that takes you to the parking lot is T2/T5... actually only T5 but T2 takes you to T5 it's basically the same line most of the way. T3 is the normal line that leaves from the Part-Dieu. it follows the same track as the special but leaves you about half a mile away instead of taking the spur right to the stadium.

19. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hello everyone.. Anyone have any feedback on the area of Villeurbanne?

Cheers

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i work there. whaddaya wanna know?

Villeurbanne is the 10th arrdt. of Lyon in a way. it's absolutely urban and has a metro line running through it. in the western part it's downtown, as you go east it becomes residential and out by the périphérique, industrial. the neighborhoods with the most life are Gratte-ciel (very nice) and Charpennes.

to get to the stadium you can take metro line B at Charpennes to Part-Dieu or metro line A the other way to Vaulx La Soie, there are trams to the stadium from both those places.

21. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's one of the cheap hotels I'm looking at(if I go to Belgium-Italy). What do you know about this location?

1 Avenue d'Orcha, 69120 Vaulx-en-Velin, France

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    pretty much in a dead zone, but not dangerous (Vaulx has a bad reputation but doesn't apply here), there will be nothing to do there.

the way into town is bus line 37 which runs pretty frequently and goes to Place Charpennes, where you can get metro for either downtown or for the Gare Part-Dieu. Shuttles will leave for the stadium from there. You can also get to the stadium via Vaulx-en Velin La Soie where a tram goes there direct.

23. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Would here be ok? Looking for decent bars and restaurants and lively.

1st Arrondissement
    Rue de la Martiniere Lyon

24. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I ended up taking an AirBnb right by the Rhone and I'll stay there the night of the St. Etienne match and then staying in St. Etienne the night of the Lyon match. Cheapest option.

25. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    guignol, got another one for ya...

5 Rue Félix Brun, 69007 Lyon, France

Little more skeptical about that one, but i'd like to hear your 2 cents.