Antonio Conte's Call Ups

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sal, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  2. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Dybala is not getting called up. Why is it when one foreigner strings together 10 good games and has an ounce of Italian blood, we have to talk call ups? Conte should never have expressed interest.

Dybala himself said 2 days ago that he won't accept a callup from Italy. His dream is to play for Argentina. Can you blame the kid? He's probably 4-5 generations removed from his Italian ancestors and he feels 100% Argentinian.

I think we have to refocus on SES. He seems fully recovered from that injury and the drug rumors have stopped. If he keeps his head on right, that could be a lethal weapon in attack. Also, Zaza was tremendous yesterday. If he is out of his funk, that is very good news.

I'm more concerned with midfield which was outclassed by Croatia. Pirlo is pretty much done. DeRossi's best days are gone. Marchisio is never going to be world class. Heck, Candreva is probably our most consistent midfielder. Conte needs to find a way to introduce more talent and grit. Obviously Verratti has to be worked in. He's tried Florenzi but he never seems to play as well for La Nazionale as he does for Roma. He probably should take a closer look at Sturaro and Bertolacci at Genoa who continue to impress. Sturaro is a tough SOB and has skill to boot.

jerrito repped this.
  3. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He talked in a interview for some Argentinian TV show this week saying he wants to play for Argentin. It's unfortunate because he is exactly what Italy needs...

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe one of Dybala's grandmother is Italian.

I believe most of these players would rather play for the birth of their country(Or birth place of their parents). The Spanish FA had asked Icardi to play for the Sub teams and said no. Prandelli was interested him calling him as well, and according to him something was set but changed. The AFA stepped him and gave him a WCQ cap just to cap-tie him. Even a youngster like Jose Mauri, I know has represented the azzurri at Sub level, I feel would rather play for Argentina. An interview I recall, he said his entire family his was still back home in Argentina. Now will he or will he not? I do not ever recall any Argentine player reject a call to our senior team. Youngsters such as Battocchio and Forestieri who have represented Italia's Sub teams still pull for Argentina(Pictured below). I believe you need players that will go out and fight for the shirt, not player who settle because they cannot make the cut.

[​IMG]

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sampadoria coach praising 22 year old Luca Rizzo to the skies after today's game. Claims he can be a good trequartista…what do you guys think. Most of us understand that this is the biggest hole in the national team and Paolo Dybala isn't keen on fixing it lol.

Conte needs to find somebody to fill this role eventually...

jerrito repped this.
  6. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think a trequartista is a necessity in today's game - especially with our plethora of wingers available.

Though to have that option would be nice - I haven't seen much of Rizzo...any thoughts on his game, style, strengths?

An Insigne or Giovinco would be perfect for that spot, but I don't think Conte views either in that role.

jerrito repped this.
  7. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On another note, can Conte please go to a 4-2-4?

I've been an advocate of this formation as we now have the fullbacks (Darmian, De Sciglio, Murru, Donati, Zappacosta, Santon, Antonelli, etc), the wingers, with our CB weakness not being exploited.

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If Conte is going to stick with his 3 5 2 then I think a trequartista is definitely needed. If he switches to 4 3 3 or your suggestion of 4 2 4, then yeah it changes the equation. This is considering he doesn't quit the national team as reports are now suggesting. Hopefully, Conte is just doing some gamesmanship with Serie A clubs to get his various demands.

I didn't watch yesterday's game against Verona. Rizzo's only started 3 or 4 games all year. Haven't seen enough of him either to say one way or the other.

9. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Report: Conte to quit Italy?
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    There are shock reports Antonio Conte could quit as Italy Coach just four months after his appointment.

The tactician was only appointed in late August after sensationally resigning from Juventus one day into pre-season training in July.

According to newspaper Libero, Conte is deeply disappointed with the FIGC and broken promises that were made to him when he agreed to take the job.

Conte was visibly irritated in several Press conferences when lambasting the authorities and Serie A clubs for not co-operating for the good of the Nazionale.

He has demanded a get-together with players before the next planned friendly in March, but the clubs are hesitating.

There is a meeting with other Serie A Coaches on December 16 and that could well be the make or break moment for Conte’s tenure.

10. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Drama is something we do not need. I hope this is a way of gaining more control and nothing more.

el napulitan and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Great formation if you want to get absolutely creamed! :thumbsup:

Great, more promising players with no national team experience, to save the day! What's with you guys and thinking you just throw any players into the mix and have instant effects? Even at club level, where they play weekly and practice daily, new team members sometimes take months to fit in. Look at Iturbe with Roma for example. New players and system. Why do you guys assume it's different at the international level where they have less time and games together??

jerrito repped this.
  12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #12 Calcio Pauly, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    It's the same phenomenon as when a young and promising Italian shows a few good weeks; flavor of the week phenomenon! This has always been rampant among young fans of the national team for years and years. I remember this even before chat forums and boards existed, when watching games at sports bars, and still even when I go today. There's always some excitable kid who has a list of prospects and formations who complains that they're not being called because if these prospects were, they would surely answer all problems.

This.

jerrito and el napulitan repped this.
  13. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to see Conte play a 4231 with a double pivot of Albert-WaterBoy and WorldClass Monty... Then I can die a happy man.

jerrito repped this.
  14. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    @Calcio Pauly , Can you make this dream of mine come true?

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Don't bother me. I'm working on alternate formations and player lists.

jerrito and Sal repped this.
  16. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    SES has not been the same player since Balotelli joined Milan and then his injury occurred. In fact Milan are looking to possibly move him in the summer. I have no idea if the drug rumors are true, but if Italy needs to focus on SES to get ahead…than we are totally up shit's creek without a paddle.

Zaza's first goal was on a bad goalkeeper error, but his second was certainly nice (and he worked hard all day against Roma). Either way, I want to see a prolonged period of great play and goals from him. Doing well in spurts and then playing average for long stretches is his MO right now.

I agree on our midfield problems. What once looked like our strong suit has really developed into a concern.

jerrito repped this.
  17. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I never understood this attitude. Sure, I can see how it would get annoying talking to someone who's convinced that all Italy's problems would be gone if Italy would just adopt his preferred formation - but, nonetheless, formations and player lists are FUN! It's the entire reason why things like fantasy football exist.

Stamos, I've heard "4-2-4" before but I don't think I've seen a good team adopt it. What does it look like in practice? You make it sound like it involves playing four wingbacks ...

18. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two centerbacks, 2 fullbacks (4 man backline), 2 central mids that can both defend and pass forward well, two wingers, and either two center forwards or one center forward and a support striker.

Since we have two years almost until a major tournament and prospects that fit into this system, I'd like to see it given a chance. Conte has used it before.

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's precisely because of this:

+ flavor of the week player.

It's endless amongst national team only fans. You don't get the luxury of watching your team every week to note who's in form, who's not, who's working well together and have the benefit of seeing what formation change has an impact. Games are sometimes months apart.

Watching the national team is more challenging because it's normally not after until a series of results, generally through a tournament, that you get to know how well the team functions together. So when the team draws a minnow or doesn't score enough against them, you come in here and read the plethora of sky-is-falling fans who want to immediately fire the coach. How much fun is that?

Weekly fantasy football comps are fun. Complaining that flavor of the week player, who could solve world hunger isn't on the team because the coach is dumb, is boring.

Sal repped this.
  20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #20 Nek Sanalet, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    How about a 4 2 4 of….

Buffon.
    Darmian. Bonucci. Chiellini. De Sciglio.
    De Rossi. Verratti.
    Candreva. Gabbiadini. Berardi. Bonaventura.

I don't think you can put all out offensive wingers with two forwards (recipe for disaster IMO). Both Candreva and Bonaventura can attack and cover ground also. I would have Cerci (never plays but looked good against Romania), SES…. and 2 of Pelle/Immobile/Okaka/Destro/Zaza (take your pick) as the main substitutes up top.

Personally, I rather see Conte go 4 3 3, but lists are fun….:coffee:

jerrito repped this.
  21. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Pauly: Then start your own, no-formations-allowed thread. This one is called Antonio Conte's Call Ups. You can tell just by the title that it's going to have people arguing about whether SES or Berardi is Italy's magic ticket to the European Cup finals. Some people, myself included, enjoy that sort of thing. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you don't; if I had been in as many dumb pub conversations on the subject as you seem to have, I probably wouldn't enjoy it either! But it's a lot easier to back out of a thread than out of a pub conversation.

Sanalet:

I like Bonaventura in that role, but Candreva disappears as soon as you give him defensive duties. He simply can't handle them. He is a good player, but 4-3-3 only for him, methinks. And De Sciglio CANNOT play on the left - if people keep putting him there, he is never going to develop.

Perin (why not)
    De Sciglio Bonucci Rugani (Chiellini is probably better but I can't stand his constant diving) Antonelli
    Sturaro (I think DDR is past it, he has been having an awful season) Verratti
    Darmian Bonaventura
    Berardi Pelle (prefer him to Gabbs right now, although hopefully Gabs will overtake him over the next couple of years)

22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You don't understand my purpose here. Without me, no one else from the regular forums would visit these threads :)

I'll play...

I'll match your 4-2-4, that would have conceded another 3 to Croatia and 2 to Albania, and raise you 3-4-3

Bianchetti - Rugani - Zappacosta
    Verrati - Florenzi - Bona-V
    *********Crisetig
    And B to the power of 3 in attack
    ***Berardi - Belotti - Balotelli (for his work rate and senior leadership abilities)

@TonyConte

Lineup solved.

Sal repped this.
  23. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hey dumb dumb Criseteg and Verratti are centermids not wingbacks :) ;)

24. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conte has ruined his own reputation. He is a quitter. Dont count on him to stay with the NT.

ArtemioD repped this.
  25. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #25 Stamos, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    let, post: 31523781, member: 234571"]How about a 4 2 4 of….

Buffon.
    Darmian. Bosi. Verratti.
    Candreva. Gabbiadini. Berardi. Bonaventura.

I don't think you can put alsecondary ensive wingers with two forwards (recipe for disaster IMO). Both Candreva and Bonaventura can attack and cover ground also. I would have Cerci (never plays but looked good against Romania), SES…. and 2 of Pelle/Immobile/Okaka/Destro/Zaza (take your pick) as the main substitutes up top.

Personally, I rather see Conte go 4 3 3, but lists are fun….:coffee:[/QUOTE]

Good list, and yes, our wingers would need to cover a lot of ground - pace is crucial with both.

My formation would look something like this:

BUFFON
    DONATI RUGANI CHIELLINI MURRU
    DDR VERRATTI
    CANDREVA (RW) INSIGNE BERARDI BONAVENTURA (LW)

My midfield bench being: PIRLO, MARCHISIO, FLORENZI
    Upfront bench: GABBIADINI, PELLE, ZAZA

I feel like thats a good mix of toughness and skill and enough to build on for future years.

When Pirlo is on, the formation subtley switches to a 4-4-2, which protects Pirlo and allows for more defensive coverage.

Insigne and Gabbiadini would be used as both secondary strikers and wingers. Marchisio has the dual role as both defensive midfielder and LW, depending on opponent and our own players' forms.

I didn't include Sturaro, El Sharawary, Crisiteg, Immobile, etc. but those names would be considered depending on form.

The 4-2-4 above could easily be interpreted as a 4-2-3-1, which is the same idea - attack with width and play your two CMs as close to the defense as possible.