Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Think of the worst dial-up internet you've ever had . .

Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wigan concedes two stupid goals in a row near the end (77' and 79') and are looking down the barrel of the gun.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiMarzio has been known to frequently make things up. He's among the most unreliable "journalists" you'll ever find in this sport.

Yedlin to Roma was a favorite of mine.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nice. A rumor aimed at us.

8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sky Sports News reported the exact same thing today.

9. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made it as a soccer country!

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started:

Losing 2-1 late.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and jnielsen repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone want to speculate whether Robinson sticks with Wigan if they get relegated? I haven't watched any of him this season, so I don't know if he's done enough to personally avoid the drop.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it's likely he gets rescued by some Championship middle-tabler.

Wigan has a shot though, since only three go down but there are four garbage teams this season.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a serviceable (at least) Championship level LB? He’s got employment for life in the Championship. No shame there. That’s a good career.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this makes too much sense what?

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, today it made the Milan World forums:

http://www.milanworld.net/robinson-vuole-il-milan-affare-bloccato-da-rodriguez-vt85121.html

Robinson Wants To Go To Milan. Deal Blocked by Rodriguez's

As reported by Fabrizio Romano, Milan is looking for a backup to Theo Hernandez [Milan's LB].

One of the most popular alternatives remains Wigan's Antonee Robinson, who would also be a bargain at a low price. A bet with good potential.

The player immediately gave his go-ahead for the transfer to Milan, accepting with enthusiasm.

But now the negotiation is on stand-by: we expect to solve the problem between Rodriguez and Fenerbahce, AC Milan will only make its move after the Swiss has been transferred.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Note he'd be backup to a guy who is playing basically every game, though. Milan fans don't seem to know anything about Robinson btw.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Milan fans haven't been scouting Wigan games for potential recruits.

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I know people have given explanations that make the Milan rumor not totally ludicrous, but I still have a very hard time buying it. I like Robinson and think he can clearly do better than Wigan, like say, Hull or Swansea (current mid-table teams in the Championship who are big enough to stand a chance of getting promoted some year), but Milan seems a bridge too far.

striker repped this.
  20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think you’re confusing where he plays with his talent level. There have been plenty of young players be exceptional in the championship for a few seasons, then make the jump to a higher level. I think Antonee could be one of those cases.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t even know if anyone at AC Milan has ever heard of Wigan Athletic. I doubt the he’ll out of this rumor.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I doubt the rumor...... has anyone seen Milan play? Awful. As mediocre as it gets. Uninspiring. Damn near irrelevant. This isn't the AC Milan from 1990-2010. They are no longer the club that housed world class players at every position. They are no longer the club competing for Serie A and Champions League supremacy. Since 2013/14 they have finished 8th, 10th, 7th, 6th, 6th and 5th last season. They are currently 8th in the table. Shit.... they are relying upon a 38 year old Zlatan to shoot them up the table. Yes, the dude is defying logic but he's no long term solution. That's dangerous and somewhat reckless to rely on him.. But that's the state of AC Milan right now. I guess my point is....while I doubt the rumor, it may not be so far fetched to think Robinson couldn't spark their interest and get into the side. It's not as big of a leap as it was 7-10 years ago.

Sandon Mibut and Bruce S repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    This seems ill-fated.

Not that AC Milan has a short but consistent history of tracking US players through the media or signing them as glorified squad players who never see the 18.

And not that Italy has any kind of socio-political issues currently/historically that might preclude this move as an obviously horrible idea for Antonee’s career. But hey, his agent should totally get paid for this transfer.

largegarlic repped this.
  24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post, but the first part seems to be "Oguchi Onyewu", singular. While, technically "short but consistent" is true, a sample of 1 doesn't tell us anything.

edcrocker and largegarlic repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Onyewu did actually make it onto the bench for Milan more often than not prior to his injury (although that was only like 10 games). After his injury, no I don't think he ever made the matchday squad again, but then he never really looked close to his former self after that injury anyway.

The point is, I think Onyewu was actually purchased to provide legitimate depth at Milan, but it's really difficult to say given how quickly into his time there he suffered what was in some sense a career-ending injury.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.