Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I noted Windass in the Hyndman thread as lamented about having to watch Hibernian play Dundee. Windass was at Rangers when EH was there for second half of 16/17 season. Windass is a typical SPL/Championship midfielder.

I could also get behind you having sole rights to all Windass jokes on here. I only wrote that so I could Windass two more times.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this kid. He’s a better crosser for sure. Not quite as fast but still a freakin flyer. Took wrong angle against Costa is only reason he got turned in Brazil match

TheHoustonHoyaFan and bsky22 repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I just went back and watched the video of him vs Brazil above. I hadnt noticed before how safe and/or ineffective he was with the ball in that game. He looked more confident today, but still needs work being clean and comfortable on the ball. Right at the end of the game vs Brazil (92:50ish) he cut inside on his man and then disposed by the next guy. That first move was what he did twice today. If he can get better at that, becomes very dangerous as defenders will have to play him straight up or he is serving a dangerous ball or running inside at the next defender.

There are definitely some slight differences that Im strugggling to pinpoint now. I'll think more about it and later if anything comes to me. The two areas I think he looks to have an edge on Yedlin is defensive instincts and final ball. Either growing up in the Everton system he was taught better positioning or it is more instinctive. He looks more quickly and naturally react to situations. He serves much better balls than Yedlin does or at least when Yedlin was closer to his age. The balls are accurate, with shape and pace. Not sure it will resonate, but I think that was a strength of Chandler. I think they are close on flat out pace, but think Robinson might be quicker... this would fit in with defensive reactions.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and largegarlic repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Saw your post just as I was finishing my other one. If Yedlin is faster, it is only by a hair. As wrote above, I think Robinson is quicker and more mobile.

Martino2Buddle repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the little I've seen, Robinson looks more comfortable with the ball at his feet, but doesn't quite have the breathtaking athleticism as Yedlin.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd agree with top speed, but think Robinson is better all round athlete.

Robinson is ahead with comfort on the ball and will also have more time to focus on that part of the game as Yedlin had to spend a year at Sunderland learning to defend. If we are going to call in a veteran outside back, I think Robinson could learn a lot more from FJ than Lichaj.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure I understand the Yedlin comparisons here, the guy is a left back. Left backs that are competent are worth their weight in gold. I love this kids game, Ife he can pick up his defense a bit, the sky is the limit.

His athelticism is good enough for top level footie, and his crossing could be other worldly if it gets any better at all. From the admittedly small sample size l I have seen, it is already pretty damned good.

Oh and did I mention he is a LEFT BACK. No really, not just "anybody," and not the third best midfielder in a three man midfield, but an honest to god LEFT BACK that makes his living at that position.

Let that sink in for a bit, he is a LEFT BACK. I did not even know such a thing existed with an American passport.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USMNT & U-23 team has a good LB in Robinson
    The US U-20 team has a highly competent LB in Gloster
    The US U-17 team has a LB who is one of the country’s top prospects in any position in George Bello

Let that sink in

10. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    If only we can see some more of Danny Acosta

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FML... this must be the twilight zone. Next thing you know the USMNT will hire a full time coach. Too soon?

12. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only is he is left footed.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Whatever. you do, don't get behind Windass!

Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The funny thing is Windass was a hot prospect I'd heard a lot about but he was usually behind Hyndman at Gers, though he did squeak out a few appearances. He didn't exactly stink, but his reputation turned out to be more noise than substance.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I thought he was solid player at Gers, but didnt see much upside. I could see him carving out a decent career at a team like Wigan.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

superdave, TxEx, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    damn both of you!!!

freisland repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    it's gas lighting...

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took the wind out of your ... sails

freisland repped this.
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing can go over my head. My reflexes are too fast.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Antonee should end up around 50 appearances in all competitions this season -- along with NT duties too. Busy year for the young man

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0 loss at Preston.