Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yes. Not as much as @LouisZ so maybe he can correct me if I'm wrong, but he reminds me a lot of younger Yedlin- very athletic, aggressive and wants to go forward. His touch isn't bad and has technical quality, he just lacks decision making skills and defensive consistency. That's why he's in the Championship. He's good enough to start consistently there so that's a positive, but his next step of development will be what Yedlin had to go through, where he fine tunes those ugly parts of his game.

If he can work those things out, I don't have a problem seeing this kid be in the conversation for our starting LB come 2019 Gold Cup. Not like we have loads of options there.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’m always late to the ESPN3 replay. What do you think of him?

I know we have an army of midfielders coming through but a left back is interesting.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As stated before, I think he is raw, has good physical size, he plays a simple game, he just about always looks to dish out the ball down his lane, hardly looks for the inside man. People say he is very fast, I haven't seen a burst of speed at a Yedlin level. I think he needs more time to improve, not sure if his team is the right team for him, overall his team looks to be more reactionary than a team with a well-crafted game plan.

P.S. I still think Yedlin needs more improvement when he commits to the inside, he does it with his preferred foot (right) most of the time the defender is in that side and easy pokes the ball away from him.

edcrocker and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adams would make an excellent LB, he is a complete package, very fast, can run all day and because he is also a mid, he has enough ball skills to work the ball inside.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Not a bad idea. I know there will be the opinion to keep him in midfield, but I think he needs to be ON the field somewhere.

LouisZ repped this.
  6. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Yeah and RB/RWB is probably out of the question with Yedlin en route to being one of our most capped players. Shaq Moore should figure to be the primary backup too.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is too good to sit behind the quad of McKennie, Parks, JoGO, Saif. And that is not even including Acosta or do I dare to say BRADLEY.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like Olosunde as a future backup. He is as fast as Yedlin, taller at 6'1, strong and with a good technical game. The problem with him, he is playing for ManU and he won't get a chance to play. I think he needs to go for a year loan somewhere but management won't let him go.
    Olosunde caught my eye when he played for the U17 with Pulisic and Wright.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone cant play in the front 5/6....

I like the idea of Saief as LB, personally.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theoretically, I suppose he could, he has played as a wingback but I can't remember if he played as a true LB.
    If you compare Kenny Saief and Tyler Adams, they are a bit different. Tyler is faster with an incredible engine. Kenny is smarter and has better ball control. They both can defend.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tyler is pretty right footed, though....would prefer a left-footed player at LB.....plus, tyler is a great prospect but not really the finished article, at the moment....and has he ever played on on the left??

if there was a match tomorrow, (which there clearly is not) saief would be the one I would want to see there.....I thought saief's style of play in his limited gold cup appearance was perfect for the USMNT (at any positon in mdifield or defense ) he was a bulldog who was flying around the field and super aggressive - fits perfectly with players like mckennie and pulisic, imo. - especially if the team wants to be a pressing, attacking team (which i think they should be).

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember what JK said..."Anyone can play left back". :)
    My analysis of Saeif is mostly based on his club team (Gent). He is very comfortable playing on the left side and inside CM. He has scored 7 goals in 31 apparencies.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Big game. Wolves are 1st in the Championship. Will be a big test for him!

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves crushed Bolton 5-1. However, Robinson received some praise from a fan site, who named him MOTM.

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His loan to Bolton is only until Jan. I hope he gets it extended for the rest of the season.

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  17. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Big for him in terms of what happens in January, or maybe even this week.. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...d-unsworth-confirms-defensive-injury-13956582

Everton LB Leighton Baines has been sidelined with an injury. Says he heard his calf 'pop' early in the game. Baines will be 33 in 2 weeks, so this injury will not be easy to recover from if it's as serious as it's believed to be.

That makes Luke Garbutt the only other 'natural' LB on Everton's roster, and he's not seen a single minute of competitive action in the league, is not registered to play in the PL, and has been playing sparingly for the u23s. Could we see Robinson called back up to Everton after this?

18. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big win for Bolton over Barnsley. They move out of the relegation zone for the first time in a while, at least until tomorrow when Birmingham have a chance to overtake them.

Winoman, Sandon Mibut and Bob Morocco repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This kid has started and played 90 for just about every game since September. He is consistently mentioned as playing well in the local paper. Even when the team has performed poorly, he is usually described as a bright spot.

I've watched a few of Robinson's games all the way through. Not an expert, but he is usually positionally sound. He will lunge in unnecessarily often. Above, he is compared to Yedlin in 2014. A left footed 2014 Yedlin is a good comparison. I would say he is not that blindingly fast. But Robinson's touch is better than Yedlin's maybe even now, and he beats players on the dribble, not just by running around them. He can cross with his left or right foot.

The kid has been held back by repeated injuries. Nice to see him stay healthy and play regularly. It is expected his loan is extended. Bolton is a terrible team and Robinson is getting a lot of practice at defense. I don't think he is ready for Everton yet. I would like to see him loaned next year to a better team in the Championship or Holland so that he can get practice in possession and attack, not just defending.

Personally, I don't think he would be any worse than Villafana and has a much higher upside. He should be called into the U23 team at least. He should be in the next senior team European camp.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    In a way he is one of our most important prospects. Glad to see him doing so well on loan.

Sandon Mibut and DC_Dave repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Who is Everton's current first-choice left back.

25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leighton Baines, but he's injured, so right back Cuco Martina has slid over.

Sandon Mibut repped this.