Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    McBride’s first English team

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And Eddie Lewis played there before him.

Bruce S repped this.
  3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    was that before or after?

butters59 repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You are right. McBride played there first.

freisland repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    i was a huge Macca fan back then.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    After

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home of McBride's blood clot, but also where he developed his relationship with David Moyes and how he ended up with Everton on loan.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    I'd say not great from Robinson on either of the first two goals. Troubling that he appears to have given up on the play for the second one.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not great is an understatement....

Good thing Robinson is still young...but at some point he's gotta turn potential into better play if he wants to be a regular USMNT player.

Gorky repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he wants to be a good regular USMNT player, sure. As it stands, there isn't a whole lot of competition for that left back spot. The fact that Ben Sweat got the call speaks to the gap that already exists between Robinson and the rest of the field.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you watch the highlights?

there are at least 10 left back in the USMNT player pool that could do as well or better than Robinson did in his latest outing.

the only reason Robinson has a leg up in so many people's minds 1. recency bias and 2.age....

take those factors away and he's neck and neck with about 10 other players.

13. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    2 is not exactly a small detail.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's important...but if there was a game to win tomorrow, it would be irrelevant.

and if you take age out of the equation...to me, Robinson is right there with the rest of the pool or maybe even behind some players.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, that sample size of *checks notes* highlights of 1 game is surely indicative of his level of play. :rolleyes:

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. there were multiple plays in his last professional game that were embarrassingly bad....2. how about the time he got skinned by Brazil and gave up the cross for the game winning goal?

I'm not on a crusade against Robinson...his cross against mexico was superb - he;s got talent for sure! don't get it confused - I just think people need to pump the breaks on Robinson as "the starter at LB for the USMNT" - seems to me, a lot of people have him as the clear #1 - but his play indicates that he's not separated himself from the pack at left back.

just being included in the team gives players a huge leg up on the rest of the pool and I don't like it - I think a big reason why he's considered #1 LB is just the fact that he's played so much for the USMNT recently...not his actual play. all over the field for the USMNT...it's so and so is the starter just b/c they've been playing a lot for the team lately...and it's easier to just keep things status quo, imo.

if we're going to take age into account, we might as well call up a 16 year old left back that just made team of the week in MLS and scored his first goal...surely that's more impressive than what any other left back is doing at the moment.

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    USMNT career is the last thing he should be thinking about now. His club career should be the only thing important to him.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet I'm sure all those "10 other players" have also had even worse performances from time to time. And so you shouldn't make sweeping conclusions from a single game, or even worse, a single set of highlights from a single game.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not worse...maybe as bad....did you watch the highlights??!

1. villafana
    2. castillo
    3. bello
    4. bornstein
    5. fabian jonhson
    6. beasley
    7. sweat
    8. lindsey
    9. vincent
    10. saief
    11. acosta
    12. kelyn rowe just played left back in his last MLS game
    13. etc
    14. etc
    this is just off the top of my head....Robinson belongs in the mix for the USMNT...i'm not saying he doesnt....

but, like I said, if I had to win a game tomorrow....I would be just as comfortable with anyone on the above list as I would with Robinson.........especailly after watching the "highlights" of his last game....

my point is about everyone else more than it is about robinson...just that the pool of left backs doesnt necessarily have a clear #1 option....and that the list of players is long (but undistinguished).

20. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This isn't the thread for the last page and a half, but since I had to suffer through it looking for real Jedi news, I thought I would venture a comment.

The kid can put in a cross like no other left back I have ever seen play for us. I only recently started following him simply because of that wicked cross. A left back that can put in some crosses like that, and doesn't mind running up and down the field is going to be allowed a bad defensive game here and there.

adam tash repped this.
  21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy, this guy I like. Funny jokes.

And they’re funny cuz...we’ll, I won’t say it.

22. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciated them having him on.

Probably the worst interview I’ve ever heard from a podcaster.

He (barstool dude) practically shit himself on “live” taped air at about 6 different times.

I turned it off, thinking, “this is why the brits laugh at our soccer balling. This, and this alone, justifies any negative opinion”.

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i apologize for so many non-news posts...but it all started from the highlights of his latest game...so, to me, its relevant to comment on clips of his games...

I feel you though...the combination of great crossing and speed/athleticism is very promising (and rare) i dont want to sound like i dont think he should be part of the USMNT or called up...i think he should.

BUT i am alarmed at the quality of his defending in the latest game of his...its shockingly bad, imo. thats my last comment i'll stop.

24. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    We don't have a game we really need to win tomorrow. And even if we did, wouldn't age still be a tiebreaker?

I mean, who are you thinking of, even?

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no i think if there was a game to win...you probably take the more experienced player as the tiebreaker...

i'm just saying - in general - that no one has done enough to be considered the unquestioned best left back good enough to be a lock-starter every game and that the top 5-10 options are all relatively close and bunched up in terms of level.

not really slagging robinson just saying that the competition for the left back spot for USMNT hasn't been won yet, imo. (as some seem to think and suggest).

RE: age i think it is not as important as long as the player in question will be in good age range for 2022....that should be the upper limit, imo...so a 28 year old should be right there with a 22 year old imo...unless the 22 year is clearly THE ANSWER and no one is, imo...at this point.