Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he made a great cross to the man who was fouled in the box for a pen, which was converted. He did balance that out by getting beat 1v1 for their pen. While it was a bad challenge by his teammate, the attacker should never had gotten into that position had Antonee been stronger in the initial challenge. Hopefully he improves that over the course of the season.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have only recently noticed this guy, but he has a wicked cross and plays on the left, is this some sort of dream?

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost 2-0.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    All touches of AR against Brazil... with exception of a handful of plays, he was very impressive! This kid is real close to being ready for the EPL and has big upside.

KenC, Namdynamo, laxcoach and 3 others repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Thought he was pretty shaky this game. Looks better in the highlights! (Although, traditional "all touches" involve more touching and less watching-brazil-touches! lulz)

Thx.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he gets to the Premier League as soon as possible. He needs to face the elite dribblers and get used to that.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The all touch videos are the best way to evaluate a players whole game to me. It is the easiest ways to see all the strengths and weaknesses together and identify recurring issues or determine situations were one off plays.

In this instance, his game was much better than I recalled and I wasn't that critical of his mistake on the goal. Ive seen plenty of fast defenders positioning be off because of their recovery speed. The fact he took a poor angle (giving him the line) and was positioned very tightly and still came close to recovering is pretty impressive to me. Hopefully he learned a good lesson and the next time he faces a player of that caliber, he makes adjustments and does a better job shutting him down.

freisland and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    If the ball gets played in behind and he doesn't touch it or he doesn't make the right rotation or is late does that make the all-touches highlight?

striker, WrmBrnr and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    it is up to ever makes the video... I personally would include it in an "all touch" video (I'd exclude the word highli as well as it includes mistakes).

if I were making a video like this for a goalkeeper, I'd include many plays where he doesnt touch the ball. I'd also include offensive runs that clear space even the player doesnt see the ball. Feel free to point any plays Robinson had on the night that the video didnt catch.

The biggest challenge of judging defensive players from tv is the inability to continuously see his positioning.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I also give him a "evens out" with the good tackle later in the 1st half to break of an outnumbered countered.

The goal he was giving directions at the top and I think was playing his man too loose, but it happens. It was a very clever cross at full tilt.

bsky22 repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The goal was the also the 4th time he encountered Costa in that area of the field. The three previous times, he forced him back or won the ball. He did it one other time in their half and also cut off a diagonal ball to him. That was a busy first 12 minutes for him.

In game where one mistake can cost you a game, a defender, GK or dmid cant rely on things evening out. However as a young defender with more than 3 years until the Hex and 4 years to the WC, winning a majority of the "battles" is a good sign. Kid just needs to keep working. He'll tons of games with Wigan and the US still has 4 more this year. There is no rush, but i could see an EPL team wanting his services for the second half of the year.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Still learning, but showed his huge potential on both sides of the ball today.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More deets please.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    careplus-deet-insect-repellent-50-50ml-lotion-3583-p-444x406.jpg

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I didnt watch closely, but things that I noticed on him....

He generally well positioned and made good decisions. He was quick to try to get into the attack (even when well behind the play) and just as quick to get back when they lost possession. I dont recall him getting beat and looked assured when cut off passes and then holding off attacker.... recall him rightfully clearing one for a throw in and calmly passing to the center back on another.

Served a decent first time ball from endline to back post on a long run/diagonal ball to him. Twice I noticed him get the ball and attacker taking away the touchline from him. Instead of just passing back to the CB, he cut inside on the dribble. He was fouled from behind once and made a 30+ yard run centrally before switching fields and then making a diagonal run to the right touchline but didnt receive the ball.

Communication with him and CB was off a couple of times. The most glaring mistake was after chasing down attacker and winning ball just inside his half, his back pass to CB hit the attacker in stride who had anticipated the ball... luckily CB recovered and no harm done.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Went 90 in a 1-0 win over Bristol City. Did not score or assist the goal. Drew one foul and doesn't appear to have been called for any. (Per ESPN.)

Antonee has now gone 90 in all 9 games he's played for Wigan. They've allowed 4 goals in their last 6 games with 3 clean sheets and 11 goals overall in the 9 games Antonee's played. They are 5-3-1 in league play with him and per Transfermarkt, he's yet to be booked.

The goal, btw, was assisted by Josh Windass, which gives me an excuse to write Windass and wish that an MLS team signed him.

Zinkoff, chrome_vapors, beamish and 3 others repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it right to say he appears to be a left-footed Yedlin? How would you contrast any differences with his game.