Another Teacher Accused of Rape!

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    N.Y. Teacher Accused of Raping Boy
    Tuesday, August 02, 2005
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164481,00.html
    ALBANY, N.Y. — A 42-year-old teacher at a Catholic school who was charged with rape for allegedly having sex with an underage male student posted a $20,000 bond Tuesday and was released from jail. Authorities said Sandra Beth Geisel had sex with four students from the Christian Brothers Academy in Colonie, N.Y., but in three of the cases the boys were 17-years-old and therefore were legally able to give their consent. Geisel faces sexual assault charges for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old boy.

~

Yet another case! Sad. If she is guilty, and there is strong evidence, let's hope she goes to prison for the same length as males so accused, and that the school takes steps to assure the community it never happens again!

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It sounds like statutory rape, which I doubt gets the same punishment.

We had a teacher at our school who got fired for having sex with a student, and it didn't really garner much hype.

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Interesting that this case was in a private school. I wonder if they have the same kinds of background checks and what not that public school teachers have to go through. Anyone know if there's a universal system of background checks in the private schools, or is it just up to each school's discretion? Regardless, this kind of thing still makes me shake my head. I have no idea how any adult can feel sexually attracted to a child.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps a better thread title would have been "Another Catholic Accused of Rape."

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be incorrect; although the accused, Sandra "Beth" Geisel, taught at the Catholic School but it is unclear whether she herself was Catholic.

6. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Can you imagine what would happen if it were a Catholic from Iran that had sex with this kid?

I think this whole forum would just implode beyond recognition.

7. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Sorry, but ITN is correct. Very rarely do you see secondary Catholic HS's taught by clergy anymore. Most religious schools I'm aware of employ indiscriminately.

8. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I think you have this forum confused with it's lively neighbor from the north.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said clergy?

Anyway, I think she was Catholic. Look at all the stories. This is America. If she were not Catholic, we would have heard about it.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceblink: Catholic Schools employ a range of instructors (teachers, substitute teachers, child care workers, etc.) from a variety of faiths for instructional courses. Being a Catholic is not a requirement (sadly) of teaching in Catholic Schools. It use to be but the rules have been relaxed due to shortages all around. Further, due to the shortage of clergy, few clergy actually are employed as teachers, but they normally act as administrators, principals, and act in positions of management at schools. While I cannot verify that this woman accused of student rape was not a Catholic, I would highly doubt it.

11. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

It was implied that it was clergy. Otherwise, why say "another Catholic accused of rape"? The only mass rapes of minors involving Catholics that I'm aware of have involved the clergy. ITN merely stated that it was unclear whether or not she was Catholic. He was right. Since she's not clergy, her faith really wouldn't be part of the story. The teacher/sex angle combined with the multiple partners aspect is the part that will sell papers.

12. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    To answer a question posted earlier, there is no universal system for checking teachers' backgrounds.

Most states have requirements for public schools but there are no requirements for private schools. This also goes for credentialing.

Of course, if a private school wants to get or keep its accreditation it will need to meet certain requirements. But criminal/background checks, to my knowledge, are completely at the discretion of whomever is running the school (in the case of private/independent schools--including charter schools BTW).

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then let's get one quick! Perhaps some good can come of this tragedy by prompting the development of a national teacher registry.

Thoughts?

Would it help? Can't see how it would hurt!

There are thousands of GOOD TEACHERS that are suffering because of ONE BAD TEACHER.... that shouldn't happen!

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

It's impossible to do this at the national level. There is no national standard for credentials at this point (some states require some exams, some courses etc that other states don't). I wonder if this lady would've even been flagged on a background check for that matter?

Such a system might work with the private school sector, as there is less of a beaurocracy involved.

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it were implied, he would have said, "Another priest..."

It's a woman. Catholicism would never have a female priest, and I haven't heard about nuns molesting anyone.

I'd say that he said Catholic and meant Catholic.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Why?

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe she got the job by saying she's Catholic, but she really isn't.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or perhaps she fellated the principal? Who knows?

19. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    A little off-topic, but did you ever see the episode of "King of the Hill" where Peggy lies about being Catholic to teach at the Catholic high school? Funny.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did. Along with the one where Bobby starts hanging out with the Christian rock band, it's among my favorites (Hank: "You're not making Christianity better, you're making rock and roll worse.")

But lying about being Catholic then getting caught at it is always good for laughs. I'm surprised more writers don't use it as a plot twist.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    IntheNet must like those episodes of King of the Hill, too, since he just gave me positive rep.

Thanks, 'Net.

22. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    My favorite part was when she started making up theology as she was teaching.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Catholic school girl: I really like school. Can I give it up for lent?

Peggy: I think you caught God in a loophole there, good for you...

24. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    This thread has strayed suitably off course enough to be closed. It's now in the realm of FFA.