Another Sunday Match

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The Cadaver repped this.
  2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Amen. It better be worth it monetarily because the paying fans are getting jerked around. I'd hate to think that a by-product of the Gio signing is that we don't get Saturday night games. All hail the mighty TV.

3. reFnCoach

reFnCoach Member

Sep 18, 2003
    SoCal
    It's not just the fans, it's jerking the team around. Hopefully it will have cooled off by then, but if not playing mid-day impacts the performance on the field. THAT should be priority #1 for the front office.

The Cadaver repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a 6pm game on Sunday. Not exactly mid day and it should be a comfortable temperature. But the players are not paying to be there; I am. And they go through a lot worse, like the recent Dallas game. For them, it's part of the job. For fans, it is supposed to be fun. Some of us even consider the schedule while making plans for other events.

I understand your valid point on performance. But that ship sailed once they took the TV money.

Lazy Assed Assassin and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Sadly, I think our ship sailed too. I’ve already renewed my season tickets for next season, but I really have missed a third of the season due to Wednesday/Friday/Sunday games including the home opener, which I don’t think I’ve missed since the team started playing at StubHub – even that crazy rain game. Yeah, I’d rather drive an hour in a torrential downpour, stand in the same downpour for 2 hours, strip off at my car and wear a beach towel on the drive home than tackle the 405 on a Friday night.

shelbo, galvanator and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm the minority on this one. I love Sunday tailgating at the Hub.

Mapo818 and WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Yep, this is how it goes chasing TV money. You oughta listen to people who actually go to EPL games talk about how they basically get crapped on for TV. They routinely schedule games where the away fans (who are half the reason the atmosphere is good) can't actually get home from because the trains stop. Heck, even here. College football is huge business now, and it leads to things like UCLA playing a 6pm Thursday night home game this year. Who on earth is going to actually be able to make it to that?

hav77 and shelbo repped this.
  8. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, I had five people coming with me that can't make it now.:mad:

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    At least it's being rescheduled for a Fox broadcast. It could have been rescheduled for ESPN, who likely would have missed half of the match because the International Pee Wee Curling Grand Prix went into triple overtime with 20 time outs.

10. reFnCoach

reFnCoach Member

Sep 18, 2003
    SoCal
    Yeah, unfortunately I will need to pass my tickets on to someone else, I have a conflict for Sunday evening.

I hear you, #1 reason I dropped my season ticket after 10 years. I just missed too many games with games getting scheduled during the week. I pay more per ticket now but factoring in all the tickets I gave away I figure I'm still coming out ahead.

The Cadaver repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Selfishly, this has worked out pretty well for me. I wasn't going to be able to go to the Saturday night game because of a prior commitment, but I can go on Sunday. My guess is that there are winners and losers in this kind of game-shifting.

More generally, I have always felt that season tickets are an investment in the league and the sport in the U.S. National TV games help that investment, so that's worth it to me even if it occasionally results in an inconvenience. The only way this league prospers and grows is if it moves away from a model where the major source of revenue is still gate receipts and toward one where the major source of revenue is from media and TV contracts.

12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Usually investments have a return on them, or at least the possibility of a return. Anshutz for all his bolstering of the league in the early aughts wasn’t doing it as a charity, he stands to make a very large sum of money from MLS, and despite Garber’s insistence the league is losing money every year I bet AEG is in the black.

LA is in the unenviable position of trying to serve two masters, grow their season ticket base and grow MLS’ TV ratings. I’m not sure both are simultaneously possible.

Mapo818 and The Cadaver repped this.
  13. Mapo818

Mapo818 Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Van Nuys , CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't have problem.. however i would like to point that the la liga , liga mx and even epl cater to fans worldwide .. especially those in the states.