another study finds conservative media bias

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They're both horrible interviewers so they try to cover that up with gimmicks and bits. Likewise, they're both too selfish to be good interviewers so everything revolves and is focused on them. At least Fallon tries to compliment guests. Corden actually sings over his guests.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bigredfutbol, xtomx and sitruc repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That tweet is about as misleading as the dateline being Youngstown instead of Lordstown.

1. Lordstown is 15 miles from, perhaps, the city center of Youngstown, which is incomplete. The edges of each are significantly closer.
    2. It's part of Youngstown-Warren, which is a metro area.
    3. It's a bit closer to Warren.
    4. Y'town is 45% black, Warren 27%.
    5. Lordstown's GM plant employed lots of people from both core cities until its closures, despite Lordstown itself being 93-ish% white.
    6. When someone says Youngstown around here, they're talking about the whole metro area ("where are you from?" "Youngstown" "oh, which part" "Boardman" "ok"). Lordstown's definitely a part of it, and it employed a disproportionate amount of the area's residents.

ceezmad repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The NYT keeps crashing Safari on my iPad. I can't wait to read that article to see if the Paper of Record did better w/ Youngstown and environs than they did when they sent a guy to Old Forge PA* a couple months back (I see the guy who wrote this article talked to Scranton college students re: Biden. ...CRASH.

*The first posting of the article located Old Forge in Southeastern, PA, not NEPA.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It seems to be a multifaceted failure, the bias being "we're from the Times and we'll swoop in for a couple of days and confirm what we think we know about the place", rather than an American political ideological bias in particular.

The other major place they talk about (skimming) is Vienna, which is 15 ish miles outside central Youngstown, but is due east of Warren and adjacent to the airport and the township that contains half of Warren and a quarter of Niles.

I get that it's all confusing to talk about vast stretches of brownfield as part of "Youngstown", but there's an awful lot of nuance in the place that is missing.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm going to leave this here. Excuse me for posting more than 4 paragraphs:

https://www.cjr.org/watchdog/bill-moyers-climate-change.php

Many of us have recognized that our coverage of global warming has fallen short. There’s been some excellent reporting by independent journalists and by enterprising reporters and photographers from legacy newspapers and other news outlets. But the Goliaths of the US news media, those with the biggest amplifiers—the corporate broadcast networks—have been shamelessly AWOL, despite their extraordinary profits. The combined coverage of climate change by the three major networks and Fox fell from just 260 minutes in 2017 to a mere 142 minutes in 20l8—a drop of 45 percent, reported the watchdog group Media Matters.

Meanwhile, about 1,300 communities across the United States have totally lost news coverage, many from newspaper mergers and closures, according to the University of North Carolina School of Media and Journalism. Hundreds of others are still standing only as “ghost newspapers.” They no longer have resources for even local reporting, much less for climate change. “Online news sites, as well as some TV newsrooms, are working hard to keep local reporting alive, but these are taking root far more slowly than newspapers are dying,” observes Tom Stites of Poynter in a report about the study. And, alas, many of the news outlets that are still around have ignored or misreported the climate story and failed to counter the tsunami of deceptive propaganda unleashed by fossil-fuel companies and the mercenaries, ideologues, and politicians who do their bidding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a kid of about six in Marshall, Texas, when my parents bought a used console radio so they could listen to Franklin Roosevelt’s speeches and I could follow the Saturday serials—especially “The Green Hornet,” my favorite masked vigilante. That’s how we discovered the Murrow Boys, by listening to the news every evening on CBS. Although I didn’t yet know what to make of the events being reported, I showed up faithfully to sit on the floor between my parents in their chairs, all of us listening together.

I can still hear the voices coming from that stained brown console in the corner of our living room; still see the pictures their words painted in my mind’s eye. Their names, hardly known when they started, became hallowed in the annals of journalism. Murrow of course, Eric Sevareid, William L. Shirer, Larry LeSeuer, Charles Collingwood, Howard K. Smith, William Randall Downs, Richard C. Hottelet, Winston Burdett, Cecil Brown, Thomas Grandin, and the one woman among them, Mary Marvin Breckinridge. You can read about them in The Murrow Boys: Pioneers on the Front Lines of Broadcast Journalism, a superb book by Stanley Cloud and Lynne Olson.

These reporters spread across Europe as the “phony war” of 1939–40 played out, much like the slow-motion catastrophe of global warming plays out in our time. They saw the threat posed by the Nazis, and they struggled to get the attention of an American public back home exhausted and drained by the Great Depression.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My colleague and co-writer, Glenn Scherer, compares global disruption to a repeat hit-and-run driver: anonymous, deadly, and requiring tireless investigation to identify the perpetrator. There are long stretches of nothing, then suddenly Houston is inundated and Paradise burns. San Juan blows away and salt water creeps into the subways of New York. The networks put their reporters out in raincoats or standing behind police barriers as flames consume far hills. Yet we rarely hear the words “global warming” or “climate disruption” in their reports. The big backstory of rising CO2 levels, escalating drought, collateral damage, cause and effect, and politicians on the take from fossil-fuel companies? Forget all that. Not good for ratings, say network executives.

But last October, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a scientifically conservative body, gave us 12 years to make massive changes to reduce global greenhouse-gas emissions 45 percent below 2010 levels and to net zero by 2050. On his indispensable site, TomDispatch.com, Tom Engelhardt writes that humanity is now on a suicide watch.

Soon, some of you will be traveling to the ends of the earth to report on this Great Disruption. To Indonesia, where oil-palm growers and commodities companies are stripping away forests vital to carbon storage. To the Amazon, where President Bolsonaro’s government plans to open indigenous reserves to industrial exploitation, threatening the lungs of the Earth. To India, where President Modi pretends to be an environmentalist even as he embraces destructive development. To China, where President Xi’s Belt and Road initiative, the biggest transportation-infrastructure program in the history of the world, threatens disaster for earth systems. You will go to the Arctic and the Antarctic to report on melting ice, and to the shores of African cities, Pacific atolls, and poor Miami neighborhoods being swallowed by rising oceans. And to Nebraska, and Iowa, and Kansas, and Missouri, where this spring’s crop is despair as farmers and their families grieve their losses.

And some of you will go to Washington, to report on the madness—yes, I said madness—of a US government that scorns reality as fake news, denies the truths of nature, and embraces a theocratic theology that welcomes catastrophe as a sign of the returning Messiah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which brings us back to the Murrow Boys. Late 1940. The start of the Blitz, with bombs blasting London to bits. A Gallup poll that September found that a mere 16 percent of Americans supported sending US aid to beleaguered Britain. Olson and Cloud tell us that, “One month later, as bombs fell on London, and Murrow and the Boys brought the reality of it into American living rooms, 52 percent thought more aid should be sent.”

Americans had taken one step toward defeating fascism, and the Murrow Boys helped us take it. Of course, the journalists were only part of the cast, and I don’t want to overrate their importance. But they were there. On the right side. At the right time. In the right way—reporting on the biggest story of all, the fight for freedom. For life itself.

Reporting the truth is always the basis for any moral authority we can claim as journalists. Reporting the truth about climate disruption, and its solutions, could be contagious. Our gathering today could be a turning point for American journalism.

roadkit, roby and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, why can't she be more likable:

luftmensch and sitruc repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wait. Professors work for money? I am deeply shocked.

What a crock.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Law professors practicing law? That should be illegal!

That is a damn stupid WaPo tweet even by Twitter standards.

sitruc, xtomx and soccernutter repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are unfairly dismissing the terrific reporting done by <checks notes> reading Warren’s campaign web page.

soccernutter, luftmensch, spejic and 3 others repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This:

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccernutter, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to hire Susan Collins just for an hour or two to say she's "very concerned."

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DNC needs to create some fake videos of Trump talking about how he wished we still had slavery so he could get cheap labor for his golf courses.

Well, at least videos -- not sure they'd be fake, actually.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    dapip and xtomx repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Always.

Especially with that stupid 7 year old's hair cut.

He is just awful.

Cascarino's Pizzeria, dapip and sitruc repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Here's some stuff from "across the pond."
    1131977960444108802 is not a valid tweet id

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hooray, another thread devoted to simply retweeting tweets!

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For those who see the post count going up, a user is complaining about tweets in a thread again while adding nothing to the thread.

xtomx repped this.
  22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forgive me for not retweeting about conservative media bias. The entire concept in today's MSM is so bizarre it is hard to find good material, which explains your retweets and internet gymnastics.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What is "the entire concept in today's MSM?"

xtomx repped this.
  24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    "Neutrality" which translates to "We can't tell the difference between fascists and Democrats. White, Christain nationalists and Jews. Corporations that steal, poison, kill and worse and regulators. We have to treat both the same. I can't tell the difference."

I believe that's what he is referring to. At least that's what I see.

dapip, xtomx and sitruc repped this.
  25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Im sure there are real videos because there's a Costa Rican town that supplies his resorts with many workers

roadkit, xtomx and sitruc repped this.