Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by bajanyankee, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It seems US Soccer has decided not to renew the Academy program with Potomac Soccer (MD). With that loss as well as the Baltimore Bays there leaves just 1 Academy team in the area: DC United. Explain to me how or why this is a good thing.

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Why would they not renew? Did the club follow the rules?

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why what is a good thing--only having one academy in the area in general, or Potomac losing theirs in particular? I don't know anything about their academy, I'm curious about the reasons for this.

4. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No idea
    This. I cant see how having only 1 academy in the area will be a good thing. DC United seems to screw over their players.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what way--not giving them a fair chance, cutting them? Just curious.

6. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    USSF have certain standards and criteria they require clubs to meet. Maybe these clubs weren't meeting them.

7. marineforce10

marineforce10 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Bethesda Soccer Club has been given the Academy status and Bethesda will now merge with Olney Soccer Club. The new club name will be Olney Bethesda Soccer Club. Starts this Fall. SAC was given U13 and U14 Academy status as well.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  8. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    What about McLean? McLean are firmly stuck in the "middle of the pack" of the DA and very much entrenched in the DC area.

9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Also, the Baltimore Bays have always had a number of "DC Area" players. The DC area has plenty of representation in the DA.

I watch a lot of Potomac's matches. I don't think that having them dropped from the DA is unfair.

10. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This I didn't know. This addresses some of my concerns but SAC? Yes I know they have deep pockets but most of the better players leave SAC when they are about 12 (before HS).

11. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bays are not Academy anymore.

What age group(s)? And how/why have you come to this conclusion?

12. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/47158256/47187419-47158344/TEAM.html

As you can see from this link, the Bays are doing very well this year in the Development Academy. Are you talking about next year? I have watched them play several times in the DA this year. Also, you can see from this link that Potomac are at the bottom of the league. I assumed that you meant for next year. Do you have a link or is this just a rumor? I am sure that a program that is always last every year would always have rumors circulating that they are being dropped.

Both the under 18s and the under 16s for Potomac are poor although the under 16s have managed to stay out of the bottom of their division this year with, what is for Potomac, an amazing 6-9-2 record so far. Last year they were at the bottom of their division also with only one win the entire season. The kids really are not that bad, but the coaching is horrible and the Development Academy is about developing elite players. That just has not happened at Potomac. The deal with the academy is supposed to be that, if you do not show that you are developing elite players, or at least making progress toward doing so, you are out.

But to be honest, I am not sure that this is happening now. Please share your source.

13. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On the other hand, why is it a bad thing? If clubs do not meet the necessary requirements to be part of the DA system, then they deserve to be kicked out of it. In addition, others who are not in yet, maybe need to be looked at and see if they could be included in place of those kicked out.

But if you ask me, there shouldn't be a DA place for any non-MLS clubs or the MLS clubs in the DA need to separate themselves into their own division - one or the other.

SheHateMe repped this.
  14. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hate the rumour mill. This one was waaaaay off. But there was a mass exodus from the Bays