another grenadian player calls it Quit

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by mikeyjames, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    THANK GOD! 2 DOWN 1 MORE TO GO. ACTUALLY MAKE THAT 2 MORE TO GO. THROW FACEY IN THERE TOO.

THANKS FOR YOU SERVICES. I HOPE YOU GET SOME KIND OF JOB WITH THE TEAM BUT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE CURRENT ROSTER AT THAT AGE.

ST GEORGE’S, Grenada, June 22, 2011 - Another stalwart in Grenadian football has announced his retirement at the international level.
    In a tweet on Wednesday, Midfielder Ricky “Curry” Charles thanked all those who have assisted him in his football career spanning about two decades.
    Charles’ announcement follows that of his long-standing captain Anthony “Nixon” Modeste who informed peers and officials about his retirement from international football after playing against Guatemala in Grenada’s final group stage game in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup last Monday.
    “I finally decided to call it a day at the international level. I just needed some time to think about it,” said Charles.
    Charles, who turned 36 last Sunday, played high school football for the Happy Hill Secondary School under coach Franklyn “Nat” Simpson and continued playing club football for Queen’s Park Rangers.
    [​IMG]
    The stylish midfielder also played college football in the United States for Bryant & Stratton and the University of South Carolina-Spantanburg, and was inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Soccer Hall of Fame in 2007. He also played for the then New Hampshire Phantoms and the Brooklyn Knights in the Premier Development League.
    In 2001, he won the Most Valuable Player Award when Bryant & Stratton defeated Yavapai College 3-2 to win the NJCAA Division 1 Championship.
    The Grenadian international also played semi-professional football in Trinidad and Tobago (St Ann’s Rangers) and in Antigua (Parham FC).
    Charles, who also had a trial with English team West Bromwich Albion in 1996, has played in 12 qualifying matches for various FIFA World Cups, scoring eight goals.
    Charles said that he will continue to play a role in developing football in his country and is prepared to assist if called upon.
    “It was a great 20 years of representing my country to the best of my ability and I’ll continue to do so in any way possible,” he said.

LET THE YOUTH MOVEMENT BEGIN.

GOALKEEPER Samuel Louison 20
    FORWARD - clive Murray 20
    MIDFIELDER - Anothony straker 22
    FORWARD - Bradley Bubb 23

THIS IS NOW YOUR TEAM

2. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I disagree, Charles still has the ability to play at least at the Caribbean level and Facey was one of the few people who actually knew what he was doing at the Gold Cup. Those players you mentioned may be the future, but as good as Louison was against Jamaica (and his clear shot stopping ability), his distribution and command of his defence are poor and he still makes the mistakes Noel always used to (compare Guatemala's second goal with Andy Williams goal against Grenada in the 2008 Caribbean Cup). Murray clearly has ability as well but when he gets the ball he just puts his head down and charges forward with only one thing on his mind without looking up which often leads to him giving the ball away. Straker is a decent player but had a rough time at left back especially against Honduras and Guatemala, maybe a better option on the wing. Bubb didn't get much of a look but we'll find out soon if he can make the step up to professional football.

Regarding the team, I heard Patrick Modeste and Dwayne Leo were let go before the Guatemala game, do you know anything about that? Also, in one interview I heard Adams say the English and home-based players mixed very well while in another I read the opposite.