Another good signing: Charles Renken with the Timbers

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by tomásbernal, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charles Renken, a guy I and many others have been following for 5 or so years now has just signed with the Timbers. He's a midfielder and has played with several levels of the US youth system. Here are a few articles about the move. He's been with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga, playing with their u-19 team--when he was 17. He got a few minutes with the first team. Not sure why they would let him go, as he signed with them in 2009 but because he wasn't 18 yet had to train with Vancouver. He just turned 18 in December. He's young and inexperienced, but has lots of potential. I don't expect him to get any playing time this season, except for maybe a few junk minutes here and there if we are blowing someone out. Definitely a good signing, though, looking to the future.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/01/timbers-acquire-midfielder-charles-renken

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2012/01/31/armchair-analyst-hoping-renken-has-happy-landing

2. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Surprised this isn't getting a most enthusiastic reception.

Assuming Charles can get right physically, he is an enormous talent that could certainly be making a big impact. His unique quality is vision (albeit more suited to close quarters than long passing) and composure unmatched in the US pool. This is potentially like bringing in a young Cesc Fabregas at 18 and getting a chance to mold him. At a minimum it is like bringing in a player of similar quality to other young MLS players like Luis Gil.

Great move. I hope for both Charles and the Timbers it works out.

How is your staff at player development?

3. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's the big question, innit? Honestly, I have no earthly idea. We don't have the fully developed academy system of several other MLS teams, let alone Euros (though that will improve somewhat this year).

A sampling of our recent "homegrown" talent (and I use that term generously):
    Khalif Alhassan, Futty Danso, Bright Dike, James Marcelin, Freddy Braun, Brent Richards, Ryan Pore. Futty may be the biggest success thus far, although I wouldn't say that any have taken the league by storm.

We're still waiting for the Agudelos, Hamids or Najars to come through. So are many MLS teams.