Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DoyleG, Sep 24, 2002.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was reported in the Edmonton Sun today that the city council here is planning to push ahead with plans for a $7 Million + indoor soccer facility.

Money that could be used to build an outdoor stadiums for pro soccer in this city is being wasted.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/es.es-09-24-0030.html

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, wasted on hundreds or thousands of kids who can now play the game year round?

What the fµck is that about?

Shlt, what Edmonton needs is a 20,000 seat stadium where NO ONE CAN FµCKING PLAY IN IT SEEING AS THERE IS NO PRO TEAM!

3. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Edmonton is one of the very few cities who happens to have an all grass stadium....the stadium isn't the issue....it's getting backers to fund a soccer team.

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Commonwealth is far too big for a pro team in this city. The outdoor stadium inquestion would make up for when the city ripped apart Clarke stadium, which was a 20,000 seater.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We have plenty of indoor facilities in Edmonton for that. While we spend on that, the outdoor game here is suffering.

Other tenannts would be CJFL football, Rugby, and as well as an alternate concert venue to Commonwealth and Skyreach.

6. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, CJFL and Rugby are real cash-spinners from what I hear. And as your statement of "there are enough indoor facilities" (what's enough?) is there even a demand for an alternative concert venue. Think Think Think before you post the same stuff over and over.

PS: Just wasted my 700th post.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Since when does making money matter at all. Having one home is a lot better than having the teams swap home fields constantly. It would also give rugby a decent home in this country, which it obviously lacks. And yes, in Edmonton their is a demand for an alternate concern venue as well.

We have two well stocked facilities in Edmonton plus a number outside the facility. It's more tha enough for indoor soccer in this city.

8. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Re: Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

Don't know the situation in Edmonton, but how would these indoor facilities be any bigger of a cash spinner than outdoors ones?

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

The plan for the proposed facility was first made several years back. One of the reasons it was initially dropped was because no need was seen for it. Even today the need is questionable.

As for an outdoor facility, it would help benfit soccer comapred to the poor-quality facilities that this city has.

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

An indoor facility means play year round, in any weather and most of the time more than one game at a time. Also, it is accessible for many youth teams (I suppose, as that is how it's done here). When was the last time a U-13 girls tournament was played at Swangard, CCR or Varsity? ...

PS: Link doesn't work anymore.

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

Well I'm not much up on U-13 soccer. It was just a question. Anyway to hell with the kids.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's more concering the adult players. Who cares about the kids, their pampered enough already.

An outoodr stadium would give good backup to a possible A-League team here.

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another example of misplaced priorities in soccer

What I'm saying is that last time I checked the kids in Edmonton playing soccer are a constant and pretty big cash flow as opposed to... the local pro team? Which one?

Don't get the cart ahead of the horse.

14. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I knew what you were saying.

What I was saying is lets forget about doing whats right lets do whats wrong! Screw making money, lets lose it and build stadiums all across Canada!

Well either that or we could give our tax money to Don Cherry and Ron McLean of HNIC.

Oh wait, we already do that.

15. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    They should build bleachers on the other side of Foote Field haha

But honestly, I think indoor soccer facilites are a good investement. I could care less about having an A-League team here, the Storm are just a bus ride away for developping talent. Another A-League team is just watering down the league. I'm not sure if all the Edmonton teams could pool together their Major League teams (plus players from here and there) to make a decent A-League team.

16. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Who says you have to have talent from your own province? A-League teams have plenty of players on their teams that aren't from the city that they play in. If we can't find enough players from Canada to fill another 15 spots on a roster then we are in pretty bad shape.

Even if you choose to field a team only of local (Albertan) talent, Calgary Storm are crap. Surely there must be some better soccer players there.