News: Another attack on free speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “River to the sea” is awful.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps, but I've had it up to here with the ADL/AIPAC conflating criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's like a force field against any criticism of Israel and has been a hugely successful tactic.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, you do have people that mask their antisemitic leaning with criticism of Israel, but you also have defenders of Israel ready to label anyone antisemitic even for what can be rightful criticism of Israel.

Criticism of Israel was probably the original de-platforming movement, actually in the USA it was probably Christian groups de-platforming speakers that they considered In-moral (unmoral?)

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They would say "immoral." But "not politically expedient" would be a more honest phrase.

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Why? Because it reminds people of the position pre-1948?

The Zionists (israeli proponents of a greater Zion) invented the phrase, it was in Likud's founding charter.

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...river-to-the-sea-slogan-to-zionists-1.6746730

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it means the elimination of Israel.

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    It means the amalgamation of the israeli body politic into a single state encompassing all of historic Palestine, in the same way that the greater Zionism project of Netanyahu does.

Only one version is a democratic state that respects the rights of all its citizens, and the other is a racist ethnostate based on the Palestinians remaining as Helots on their own land.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If this is true this can't be legal, right? It's like a loyalty oath to a foreign power.

A CHILDREN’S SPEECH PATHOLOGIST who has worked for the last nine years with developmentally disabled, autistic, and speech-impaired elementary school students in Austin, Texas, has been told that she can no longer work with the public school district, after she refused to sign an oath vowing that she “does not” and “will not” engage in a boycott of Israel or “otherwise tak[e] any action that is intended to inflict economic harm” on that foreign nation. A lawsuit on her behalf was filed early Monday morning in a federal court in the Western District of Texas, alleging a violation of her First Amendment right of free speech.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17...k4qADp8qFQk8j8Pxsqjs9BANf-BBFcwcuEBWRyBouxeRw

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. What do you expect from a state that stands fully behind a puppet of the Krimelink

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Never heard of various things under the rubric of "Anti-Boycott Act"?

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/the-disgraceful-anti-boycott-act/

This is only the most recent iteration. These sorts of things have been around for a long time, and they are often binding on all large (and small) companies doing business under Department of Commerce or State rules, and their employees. I have been subject to compliance training on that subject both for government contracting and private (huge) enterprise direct work since starting my career in 2001.

Extending that to a private practitioner not subject to DoC or DoS rules seems wildly out-of-bounds.

12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    In the state of New York, you can boycott other American states (Andrew Cuomo effected a boycott of North Carolina):

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/03/north-carolina-lgbt-discrimination-cuomo

but not israel:

https://www.thenation.com/article/a...-is-a-clear-violation-of-the-first-amendment/

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So if you sign one and then post something critical of Israel online or were in a BDS march and someone "reported" you, your contract could be canceled like this teacher's was?

I could see Trump pushing for simillar legislation to protect Saudi Arabia's fee-fees.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Generally, it isn't quite that insane.

The main thing they want to avoid is employees participating on their own in a boycott to where it affects the company's doing business. At large enough companies, they can often accommodate an employee (putting them on a different project) as long as the employee hasn't obviously violated the act.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really free speech, but political correctness.

Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture
    Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness, and race isn’t either.
    The Atlantic |
    • Yascha Mounk

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/americans-strongly-dislike-pc-culture?utm_source=pocket-newtab

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like political correctness involves "when I get criticized for something you think is offensive, even though you know I didn't really mean it like that. "
    hate speech is when "you insult my community and you know damn well you were doing it on purpose and not just kidding like I was yesterday."

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FTFY

russ repped this.
  19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The centrists never own it,do they?

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Political correctness" is a crappy term anyway because it means whatever somebody wants it to mean. For some people, it means "I can't call black people 'n*****s' anymore." For others, it means "I gotta write 'women' as 'womyn.'"

SetPeace, song219, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Found a passage that addresses this:

One obvious question is what people mean by “political correctness.” In the extended interviews and focus groups, participants made clear that they were concerned about their day-to-day ability to express themselves: They worry that a lack of familiarity with a topic, or an unthinking word choice, could lead to serious social sanctions for them. But since the survey question did not define political correctness for respondents, we cannot be sure what, exactly, the 80 percent of Americans who regard it as a problem have in mind.

So for the most part, you're probably right.

22. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what 'political correctness' really is. But I do know what 'respect' is. People who say they are 'anti-PC' generally have no respect for people and cultures that are different from what they know, and oftentimes they aren't willing to explore let alone understand why people are so different, but in many respects, compatible to each other.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat, here is an article on how political correctness tries to include criticism of religion.

https://www.atheistrev.com/2005/03/political-correctness-and-religion.html?m=1

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Openness to other people practicing their religion? Sure. Using it like Jerry Falwell Jr does to spread division and hatred? Nope. Open season just like Nazis. First google on Jerry here's what I got:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...r-questions-evangelical-leader-over-images-of

SetPeace repped this.