News: Another attack on free speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Science dammit!" or "Market dammit" or "inevitble-forces-of-history-leading-to-workers-controlling-the-means-of-production dammit" just don't roll off the tongue.

xtomx, dapip, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Aphrodite (pbuher), I am guilty of this once in a while, I am getting better at it, but it is a hard to get rid of that part of the programing.

3. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    "Dammit" is not what we are looking for here.
    :devilish:

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Qubecois have turned regular church worship words into curses. It is to the extent that people don't know the religious meaning of their curses.

The sacres is the group of Catholic swears unique to Québec. There are many of them; the most popular are probably tabarnak (tabernacle), osti or hostie or estie (host, the bread used during communion), câlisse (chalice), ciboire (the container that holds the host), and sacrament (sacrament). These usually have some milder forms as well, slightly modified versions that lessen their blow. “For example, tabarnouche and tabarouette are non-vulgar versions of tabarnak, similar to ‘shoot’ and ‘darn’ in English,” says Polesello.

The sacres typically are interchangeable, rarely having any particular meaning by themselves. Most often you’ll hear them used as all-purpose exclamations. If a Québecois stubs his or her toe, the resulting swears might be “tabarnak, tabarnak!” instead of “******** ******** ********.” They can be inserted into regular sentences the way English swears can to vulgarly emphasize your statement. “For example, un cavemeans ‘an idiot,’ but un estie de cave means ‘a ********ing idiot,’” says Polesello.

Because the words are largely just meaningless statements of rage, there is an interesting ability in Québec French to create fantastic new strings of profanity that are, basically, untranslatable. Essentially you can just list sacres, connecting them with de, forever. Crisse de câlisse de sacrament de tabarnak d’osti de ciboire!, you might say after the Canadiens fail to make the NHL playoffs. The closest English translation would be something like “********ing ******** shit ************************ cockface asshole!” Or thereabouts. But strings of profanity like that in American English, though not unheard of, are certainly not common. In Québec, letting loose with a string of angrily shouted Catholic terminology is something you’re fairly likely to hear at some point.
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-delightful-perversity-of-quebecs-catholic-swears

Minnman, ToMhIlL, crazypete13 and 3 others repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Apparently you've never been to one of my performance reviews.

xtomx, crazypete13 and song219 repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Giving or receiving?

dapip repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2207 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Not really an attack on free speech. But a sad day for a type of free speech as The Village Voice has ceased publishing its dead tree edition. It'll continue online. In the mid-80s to mid-90s it was the place to find out about all the concerts & cultural events happening in NYC. NY was still wild, non-Disneyfied/Starbucked back when I used to hang there. And the Voice was kind of a road map to what was going on downtown.

A former Voice writer reminisces on how it was back in the 60s:

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/30/the-village-voice-and-me-the-untold-story-of-how-i-became-a-writer/

And a few more Voice writers get nostalgic. This part really captured the essence of what it was for NYC area music fans back then:

I was looking at the Google archive today, and I found an ad for DNA's very last show in 1982. I got this really intense ... those ads for the bands in the back? The only way you knew about a show was to wait for the Voice to come out. People didn't put up posters. CBGB didn't put out a letter board. They didn't have anything other than that ad in the Voice. I'm averse to the nostalgia thing. But I do think it helped bands, where a mundane thing, playing a show, became more magical because you spent most of your week not knowing, and now you knew. And now there's zero time that you don't know. You spend all of the time up to the show knowing. You had no idea you were seeing that band. In some ways, it was a cheap trick. You hide something and you reveal it, it's the essence of magic, of narrative really. That's a little bit of what we lost. That doesn't mean newspapers were better, but that was a sweet little thing about being able to experience things without over-thinking them. Is that a big deal? No. It was a pleasant thing.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a57165/village-voice-oral-history/

roadkit and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, it's appropriate that the Voice pops up in a free speech thread, since one of their contributors made waves with his defense of free speech, a defense extending to those whose speech was despised by the typical Voice reader.

[​IMG]

Whom I'm sure has been mentioned in this thread by now...

russ and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm sure it does. That's why I'm always careful to say.....

"HAIL" GRIMES!!!

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    REPORTED!

HEY HEY! HO HO!

CEEZMAD'S POSTS HAVE GOT TO GO!

HEY HEY! HO HO!

HEY HEY! HO HO!

ceezmad, dapip and American Brummie repped this.
  12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ho ho, hey hey,

ceezmad's not gonna go away!

Ho ho, hey hey,

ceezmad is here to stay!

ceezmad and dapip repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Skandal!!! repped this.
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the bad rep college students get on opposing free speech. College education young are still better than non-college.

xtomx, American Brummie and Skandal!!! repped this.
  15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it be a surprise that the closer you get to your degree and work/grad school,the less likely you are to mouth off about something completely unrelated to your major which can only get you in trouble?

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    But those weren't the questions .... they were about the right for others to mouth off.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the self censorship question.

18. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    How do people come up with this shit

xtomx repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What products do US companies import from Israel that enough Americans know about to even consider boycotting?

flowergirl repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Intel processors.

Bunch of medical supplies and equipment.

Evidently, produce every now and then.

Diamonds.

Pønch and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for the list. I guess part of me thinks most people don't know this- I didn't.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That was off the top of my head, but it was in the top of my head because of years of anti-boycott corporate training.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ouch!

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me to avoid Dickinson, Texas. It sounds like a leper colony for inbreds.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Texans who feel their inner Judaism. Good Lord what has this earth come to.