News: Another attack on free speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we have politicians trying to pass similar laws when we were trying to boycott the apartheid regime in South Africa?

I would not boycott Israeli products personally, but people have the right to do so, be it for reasons of politics, human rights or antisemitism, it is their right IMO.

There are a shit lot of countries that violate human rights that could be boycotted, Israel, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Zimbabwe, the Central African Republic, ect. People should be free to choose what repressive regimes they want pick on and what oppressive regimes they avoid calling out.

To be fair, buying shit from N.K. CAR or Zimbabwe may be hard even if you wanted to.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, the only time that the Senate gets bi-partisan is when it sponsors a pandering, deeply anti-American bill? That figures.

This time, both sides really did do it. That I cannot deny. #Bothsidesdidit.

Oh, and for those who don't like the term "political correctness" -- this, friends, is why the term exists. There is no better term for what these Senators are doing. (Yeah, I know, sometimes "political correctness" is just an all-purpose insult used by the right against the left, and that is a stupid usage, but the term if used properly applies equally to the left and right.)

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Seriously. This makes me want to boycott Israel just to spite them.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What I want to know is who this heap of steaming mess is supposed to achieve? Half of American Jews think Israel kowtows to the orthodox and is too aggressive on foreign policy. I mean, they wouldn't boycott Israel themselves, and they certainly wish for it to exist, but they can see why people would have an issue with Israel.

So this bill is to appease the other half of American Jews -- 1% of the entire population -- plus the Christian fundamentals who have an Israel fetish? Correct?

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    What behavior does this bill actually sanction? Are they seeking to compel people to buy Israeli oranges, or just to avoid announcing the reason they are not buying Israeli oranges?

And will donations to politicians who support this bill be protected as free speech, but those to any seeking its repeal be sanctioned?

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im so happy I live in a free society where this isnt possible

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure this will be challenged in court, here are a lost of American companies that do boycott Israeli companies that do business in the occupied territories.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-e-u-vs-b-d-s-the-politics-of-israel-sanctions

Remember European countries also had some similar laws (France I believe was one, I am not sure about Germany), but the EU court struck them down.

9. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Seems that most of the senators who signed on, didn't even read it (they are now because of the criticism). They automatically sign what AIPAC gives them.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think you are correct, and that is shameful. I don't want Senators rolling over like that for any lobby, even if it's one that I adore.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's pretty reliably a list of the world's best countries, in reverse order. It also correlates well with corruption ratings, which doesn't say much for religion's moral powers.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm guessing the source has something to do with it.

To be more charitable, perhaps it's a "laws on the books" thing and not necessarily enforcement.

taosjohn and crazypete13 repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is why Ireland is so high in the list, they do have laws even when they are hardly enforced.

Wait a second, that is Italy not Ireland.

Why is Ireland so low (not directed at you Timon, just a general I am surprised question on my part)?

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we know European countries have more limits on free speech.

Some hard left people in the USA may like things like this (I mean it sounds good but the implications, there are Christian TV personalities that have said similar shit after homophobic attacks).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/muslim-leader-compared-gay-people-paedophiles-jailed-093216499.html

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Most Shortsighted Attack on Free Speech in Modern U.S. History
    A faction on the left wants to weaken the free-speech rights that protect marginalized people at the very moment when doing so would help Donald Trump to persecute them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...tack-on-free-speech-in-modern-history/537468/

When free-speech advocates point out that the First Amendment protects even hate speech, as the attorney Ken White recently observed, they are often met with extreme hypotheticals. For example: “So, the day that Nazis march in the streets, armed, carrying the swastika flag, Sieg-Heiling, calling out abuse of Jews and blacks, some of their number assaulting and even killing people, you'll still defend their right to speak?"

In Charlottesville, he declared, something like that scenario came to pass: “Literal Nazis marched the streets of an American city, calling out Jews and blacks and gays, wielding everything from torches to clubs and shields to rifles, offering Nazi slogans and Nazi salutes. Some of their number attacked counter-protesters, and one of them murdered a counter-protester and attempted to murder many others. This is the ‘what if’ and ‘how far’ that critics of vigorous free speech policies pose to us as a society.”

Yet even now, at the bottom of the slippery slope, a broad reading of the First Amendment is still the framework that best protects ethnic and religious minority groups. In fact, marginalized groups—street activists, Muslim immigrants, Black Lives Matter protesters—would suffer particularly at this very moment if the faction of progressives who want to limit free speech got their way.

This last bit is why the ACLU is correct, that the hate which was spewed in Charlottesville should have been allowed because when "hate speech" en mass is judged to be too far, it is the powers that be to define what they think is worthy of investigating and prosecuting as "hate speech."

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Maybe because the source is a US agency?

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or, because we don't have laws against blasphemy.

Timon19 repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is that the standard?

I mean, it's titled that, but then describes a deviation from an index.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hell, I don't know how that report works. Just that if the subject is blasphemy, as in religious discussions, that we don't have many laws against that (if any).

Timon19 repped this.
  23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the case of the US with your polarized political system that would be the likely outcome. But it doesnt have to be like that. You can set standards when defining hate speech that lie outside the reach of everyday politics or authorities. That is why this, your argument is more of a lazy excuse for not having to change the current state.

24. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Does taking the Lord's name in vain qualify as blasphemy? ;)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've often wondered why so many atheists invoke his name when they don't believe in him...