Ankle Injury

Discussion in 'Player' started by Middle Of The Shed, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    Hey lads,
    Sorry I'll warn ya now this will be a long post so please bear with me :D
    Basically 2 months ago I rolled my ankle (i think that's the best way of putting) it playing football on concrete at school. I stopped straight away and was limping pretty bad for the rest of the day. The next day I went to see a nurse in the minor injuries department and she just basically said I'd done something to the ligaments and to rest it and ice it for a few days and see how it goes. I decided (as I had a holiday off of school) to rest it for a week and then go back. Now I cant remember fully but during the next term I was pretty stupid and played on i, after being kicked numerous time and reaggravetating it, continued to play. Two sundays ago it was much better so I played on it in a match unfortunately because the ground was so hard I re-twisted it so to speak so I was back to square one.
    Bottom line is after two months it was still aggraveting me so I went to see a physio last Wednesday. This is also because I have a final I want to play in next Wednesday so am pretty desperate. He basically said last Wednesday that he is unsure whether I can play but I had damaged my talis bone (sp?) and basically said if I continue to play on it I run the risk of doing it for life. But he gave me a few exercises to work on (balancing on my weak foot, squats, dribbling on my weak foot) which I done every day and told me not to do any sports until I see him again. On Wednesday I went back to him and now pretty much have full movement again in my foot (which as you can probably think I'm very happy about). He gave me more intense exercises so to speak, such as 10 minute run, figure 8's, squats, hit some long balls, shuttle run and t-run. Here comes my questions finally..... before I couldnt push down on the bone I'd damaged without it hurting. Now I can however I still cannot hit a laced shot or outside foot pass/shot. I haven't tried but I'm really worried and self concious about re-damaging the bone. So can anyone reccomend me any way of maybe slowly introducing kicking those desired balls again.
    I also want to ask and this is just a query because I think I'm on the right track but I've noticed that my lower leg and ankle joint ache slightly (no pain just ache) is this normal???? I personally thought it would be as I haven't done anything on that foot for a week but I just wanted clarification on that please.
    Ok sorry about that realllly long post but hopefully you can offer me assistance somewhere.
    Thanks a lot,
    Scott

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did mine reffing a game last summer and despite a cast, rehab, exercises, and 12 weeks off, it just stopped hurting after every game about three weeks ago. Rest and patience is the best I can say to you. Follow the ice and stretching regimen religiously and you'll get back quicker. You're young, don't mess your ankle up for life.

Good luck.