Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prem sucks for development, their money goes towards results.....Italy, France, Germany develop talent, it's why they stay at the top year after year and why England continually sucks....

2. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016

Official confirmation of his extended contract and his joining of Telstar SC on loan. They were one of the worst teams in the Eerste Divisie last season.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #353 Gorky, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  4. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    They must. As a Chelsea fan, signing a youth player to a new contract usually heightens their value in a subsequent sale. I just think if they see him as a first team prospect, then they would send him somewhere better than the eerste divisie.

5. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    He will make Telstar better (IMHO)

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    You've seen Telstar play?

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's similar to Zelalem. Arsenal think they can still get something for him, so they re-signed him so as to get some sort of fee if they sell. But they didn't actually want to play him, so they sent him on loan to I can't even remember the team.

Same here (same league too).

8. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Yes, but only the once, Earlier this year when they lost to Venlo

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why he re-signed w/ Reading then. Gave him an offer he couldn't refuse? If he left on a free he could have had much more discretion over his destination and have that club be more invested in him than as a prospective loanee. A low-level team in the Eerste Divisie hardly seems like a favorable situation to a striker of his talent and style. This screams of mismanagement of a talented American's career by the player himself and the club. It's somewhat reminiscent of Flores.

10. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Not really strange - I think he's done well enough in the reserves and he is young enough that he's worth holding onto, but he's not going to develop any further in the reserves so a loan this season was pretty much guaranteed. The only surprise is that it is to a dutch team when, but that's hardly unheard of either.

There's no guarantee that Novakovich is going to crack the Reading 1st team eventually, but there'd be no point in keeping him just in the hope we might be able to sell him without him ever coming near the first team. For clubs like Reading it makes more financial sense to release reserve players if you don't think they've got a chance of even becoming a squad player.

11. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    The really weird part to me about Reading is that they're best striker, Yann Kermogant turns 36 this season. They need to find a replacement. If they thought that replacement could be Andrija then I think they would've found him a more compelling loan.

FirstStar repped this.
  12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there something wrong with Reading? They shat on his u20 WC dreams, too, and he was a likely starter on a strong US squad.

13. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems fine to me. Get some first team footy week in, week out with adults. If he bags a bunch of goals he'll be back at Reading. He's only 20. My money is on him scoring lots, which is good for him, Reading, and the USA.

14. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Novakovich needs to get more games and goals under his belt at a level above youth/reserve, Kermogant just isn't relevant to this equation. If Kermogant needs to be replaced in the immediate future (not unlikely) then it's not like Reading don't have any other option but to bank on Novakovich being ready to seize the mantle when at this stage he has yet to score his first senior goal. Nor does it mean that Novakovich's only route into the Reading 1st team is to fill a void left by Kermogant

I don't see what is wrong with Telstar, if Novakovich stayed in England he would be going out on loan to a League One or League Two club and though I'm not overly familiar with the quality of the Eerste Divisie don't think Telstar is a step down from a League Two club.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    885250132299698176 is not a valid tweet id

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tel-star is born!

Gacm32, Rahbiefowlah, ChuckMe92 and 6 others repped this.
  17. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Gacm32, ChuckMe92, Bob Morocco and 4 others repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #368 The Irish Rover, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Indeed.

In this league he'll be up against the U-21s of Ajax, PSV, AZ Alkmaar and Utrecht and two relegated Eredivisie teams hoping to bounce back. I don't know about other readers of this thread, but that's 6 teams that are a LOT better than anything England's League 2 can offer.

The coach. Michel Vonk, spent 6 seasons in England in the 1990s and was a youth coach at PSV for a while. He's better off on that score too IMO.

m vann, Greg Heaney, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  19. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a few more goals in another friendly today, involved in 3-4 goals according to club Twitter feed

sakibomb523, BostonRed, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  20. At least the minimum non-EU salary of 400k for 20 year old in the Dutch league.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    English mother, so the non-EU minimum is irrelevant (until 2019 anyway :p).

In any case, I can't imagine many Dutch D2 sides, and especially not a side that's as weak financially as Telstar, paying anyone 400k Euros a season. And while 400k Euros is a realistic salary for an EPL prospect, it's about what an established rotation player at a mid-table Championship side would get, not a 20 year-old with only 6 pro first-team games in two seasons.

22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I would think Telstar is paying whatever wage he's agreed to with Reading and not what minimum the non-EU slot is in the Dutch league. Remember he doesn't have a Dutch contract. He has a temporary loan contract which probably circumvents that bylaw. Telstar can't afford that which is why they had to borrow a striker because they don't have the money to sign one themselves. I have no doubt Novakovich can boss this level, the question is is that sufficient proof for Reading to give him a chance with their side?

23. When he has an EU passport it doesnot matter. But I mentioned it that Reading at least has to pay that amount as I doubt if the KNVB would permit loopholes to circumvent the protection against (young) players of a quality we have as home grown too entering the league. But tbh, I really donot know it if they have had an eye on this kind of construction.
    One thing is sure, Telstar is at most paying what they would pay a kid from their youth. Not EPL money.

24. He can seek asylum as a Brexit refugee:p

The Irish Rover repped this.