Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heavens no. With about a million Yanks living in Canada, we're borderline pests here. A few more could tilt the scale and they stop smiling at us.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good question. In my hood we have street corner fruit sellers, usually selling berries and seasonally mangoes and papaya. People come up with pickups full of watermelons too but I don't know if I've ever seen avocados. There's a pretty impressive mature avocado tree on the UC Santa Cruz farm and I'd never realized how big they can get. Easily the size of a two story house, must produce 100s or even 1000s a year. Hoping to move to the East Bay soon and Day 1 will be planting "male" and "female" avocado trees. Day 1095 will be full of avocados and become an annual holiday in my family :D

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They lost 3-2. Nova didn't score. He was mentioned twice: a header in the 12' and a shot to the post at 3'. It seems he played 90'.

6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, Italy really? Good thing he's young and can bounce back from this horrible career move.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Perche?

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which horrible career move? From England's U-23 league with no perspective of PT at a Championship side targeting mid-table respectability to at least being in the PT mix at a Serie B promotion contender that had enough confidence in him to offer a 4-year deal?

Sounds like a promotion to me.

9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course playing in a real league is better than a reserve league. I don't rate Italy and I don't think he's going to get a lot of playing time honestly. I want the best for Nova but I don't think going to a league that not many Americans (4 total) have ever played in is the right move. We have a good rep in Germany and the low countries. They have a good rep at playing and developing us. Bad move but that's just my opinion.

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, it looks like their forward options are lacking. Went on their wiki page and checked out their attacking guys...seems like the most successful are wingers and none of their forwards have done anything of note really. If he were to have a chance anywhere, this is as good a spot as any. And there always has to be someone to break the mold...

TarHeels17, gunnerfan7, VBCity72 and 2 others repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1861 m vann, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    There's not enough evidence and/or time to say whether this is a good or bad move. It's a wait and see. With that said, I think it will be pretty evident after a handful of matches. i get the skepticism because few Americans have succeeded in Italy but let's not ignore the fact few have been given the chance. Serie A & B clubs have not typically sought Americans. A large reason is because Serie A & B clubs can seek "cheap" talent in South America that can often secure an Italian passport

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1862 The Irish Rover, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019

Precisely.

He breaks the mould or he doesn't. If he does, he gets a decent career in Serie A/upper Serie B and maybe the EPL or BL1 will come calling. If he doesn't, he goes back to the Eredivisie or equivalent.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A lot of pressure. Even if he only scores 10 goals a season for multiple clubs in Serie B, are we so uptight to turn up our nose at him? I feel he won't be at the club but for 2 years. I'd love to see him remain in Italy and establish something there for us.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they pay a transfer fee?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s been reported he moved for “undisclosed fee”. I’ve seen a few places that rumored the fee to be in the $2M range. I don’t know if any of that isn’t true but with a year remaining on his Reading deal if would seem foolish to let him walk for free.

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit shocking that a USA international who had reasonable success in the Netherlands would be allowed to go on a free. Perhaps Reading made enough on loan fees that they were happy to let him go for sunk costs.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I understand why, after watching nearly every minute he played for Sittard.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s kind to call him a “USA international.” Plus, I’m not sure that being a “USA international” adds much to a transfer fee.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In June IIRC, which makes the suggestion of a free transfer plausible. If he's leaving for nothing and you're not going to play him, it makes sense to cut him loose. Doubly so if there are any loan restrictions for players in the last year of their contracts in England.

Let's hope he makes it work in Italy. He's 23 on the 21st of the month. He's not a prospect any more

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I had thought it was longer, but if it's this summer and he was getting any kind of decent pay and it looked like finding a taker who'd pay that he'd agree to was difficult, sure, might as well cut his salary and let him leave happy.

23. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For practical purposes he's not, but for salesmanship purposes he's a decorated USA international ;)

Gorky repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaand they lose 1-0 at the death. Had a couple of moments according to Twitter, sounds like he was close to a goal once but no dice.