Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The market in England is inflated and not indicative of the quality of the teams, as anyone who watches the EFL Championship can attest.

Same with most everything, actually. A sub-style sandwich in London is $11+ (£9), you can get the same sandwich in Seattle for $7 and in Buenos Aires for $3- (160 pesos).

USSoccerNova and mschofield repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, I love this take on the pay level in England, I don't agree, but it's a great explanation.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why would you use London, Seattle and Buenos Aires to compare England and Italy?

According to a quick google, everything is pricier in Italy than UK except rent.

London to Bergamo, outside of rent, consumer prices in London are ~15% higher than Bergamo. Restaurants prices are higher in London, groceries are lower. But rent is way higher in London... than just about anywhere.

"Local purchasing power" is only different by ~1%, fwiw. London cost of living is not 2x or even close versus other major Euro cities.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...=Bergamo&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=London

(edited cause I found Bergamo)

DHC1 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Because I'm not using Google and I'm talking about cities I regularly visit.

5. RolandLGIII

RolandLGIII Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Maine, USA
    freisland repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, if Nova ever moves to Argentina, we're prepped.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I hope he rebounds soon. Otherwise it’s going to be tough to get more excited about his situation compared to someone like Toye.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Unless they decide not to pay

freisland repped this.
  10. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I've come to remind you of this freezing cold take. Unless you meant he would have plenty of opportunity playing for another club this season.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Meh. That’s what the pre-season indicated. Better than the chicken little takes in every thread when posters special little guys don’t start every game.

12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having lived in the money pit that is San Francisco for some time now, I can say that as housing prices increase, it has a knock on effect for everything else, from food to services. You need to pay your workers more just so they make enough to live within a commutable distance. The grocer's rent goes up and up so they have to pass on that cost to the consumer. Avocados, despite being grown in CA or neighboring Mexico are more expensive here than in my midwestern hometown. Housing crises have very real and dramatic effects on everything else

FirstStar repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question here. How do people not earning 6 figs afford living there? Gas must be 3+ per gallon, food is crazy expensive, square footage is ridiculous. Is there a cheaper option other than moving to Oakland or San Jose?

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to a radio show recently and an Uber driver called in to say other drivers came in from Sacramento for several days at a time & sleep in their cars because the rates are high & it's too expensive to find a place to sleep otherwise.

15. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    You can get avocados 6 for $1 just over 30 minutes away in Salinas.

Honestly produce should be cheaper than elsewhere and fresher, but I think they just know people will pay the inflated price.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    No. Thats why so many people are leaving SF

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't. Gas is closer to $4, San Jose is as or more expensive than SF thanks to it being closer to silicon valley and the valley's redlining means they have trouble building any housing, affordable or otherwise. Oakland too has been creeping up for years and is ~10% cheaper than SF. Italy too is in flux having just ousted their right wing president and there's talk of 25% VAT just to try to balance the books. He probably took a pay cut to be there, but I'd imagine game time is tantamount and he must feel Reading did him dirty. Have no idea the cost of avocados in Italy but is probably steep.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    As Childish Gambino once said, "This is America"

Time for a mass exodus to Canada.

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven't lived there in a decade, but the only ways that I could picture living in that areas for under $100K are:

1) Manage to get into a rent controlled apartment
    2) You bought your residence 20+ years ago and have a combo of both no/low mortgage payment and low-property taxes due to Prop 13
    3) Share an non-rent controlled apartment with lots of roommates.

ttrevett repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So, does anyone regularly follow Serie B? I have a great fondness for Italy but I can't even watch Serie A as it's too dull. But I'm glad we have a Yank in the country. Shame that Perez kid left Fiorentina.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    2 hours, 3 in traffic to Salinas. Gas $4.50

22. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #1847 Kombucha, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    I am not suggesting that it is cheaper for people to drive and get them there, but a truck could pick-up hundreds for $100 and drive them back to the city for another $100, so it shouldn't require the price to be $3 a piece.

A local shop also wouldn't loose half of them for being too ripe like shipping them across the country, which is a big factor in their high costs.

Don't think the cost to sell them is the reason for their higher price, but that the market will bear a higher cost.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My friend in SF sleeps in a dining room for $1,500 per month. I think she has 3 other roommates in a 2-bedroom.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Avocados scam!

ebbro and Kombucha repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, but the stats I looked at (assuming they are correct. I have no idea) do not indicate that is true for London/UK vs. Bergamo/Italy for some reason. Rent is higher in London, Groceries generally lower, fwiw. For sure don't know the specifics behind it.