Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Poor decision.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1753 The Irish Rover, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Not only in Holland. Belgium (Anderlecht), Portugal (Sporting) and Germany (Bremen) were among the names repeatedly mentioned as having tabled offers, with contract durations being mentioned.

Two factors came together at thesame time: Agudelo 1) had a serious hard-on for the EPL, to the extent that he was looking at buying a Cypriot passport to go to England and 2) his new single-mother girlfriend got pregnant and he took about 6 months off the game entirely to travel Europe with her and her kid (pics were posted on his thread).

The two suggest that he had his professional priorities arseways and his personal priorities in something of a decent order. The end result is that Euro interest disappeared and he went back to MLS, where he's spent the last 4 years collecting +$450k a year for phoning it in.

4. What a surprise, their CD's were moving to ManCity and Liverpool. Iirc some other defenders moved too.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm a Doubting Thomas. I don't believe in any "interest" by a club unless the club itself comes out and talks about it.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t believe in any interest by a club unless the club itself comes out and denies it.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kind of like officials' comments on the economy entering a recession.

Stage 1:
    "These are regular seasonal fluctuations" = "This is your captain speaking. We have some turbulence. Please fasten your seatbelts as precaution."

Stage 2:
    "What matters is what's happening on Main Street, not Wall Street" = 'The oxygen masks have dropped down. Please fit them carefully."

Stage 3:
    "The fundamentals of the economy are sound" = "Brace yourself for impact"

LouisianaViking07/09 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not in the 18 for Reading's 4-2 League Cup win today.

The Dutch transfer window (and most other Euro countries) closes on Monday, September 2.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    FC Cincinnati ... I mean PEC Zwolle would be an OK place to go. Based on their budget and 538 ranking, they'd be a bad MLS team. He's still 22 so he has a bit of time but obviously just playing is more important.

The thing that sucks with the timing of this is he's already missed 4 matches in the Eredivisie, and I assume would miss 1-2 more before he was fully integrated. I don't get why players + clubs wait this long to make moves.

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Those 538 rankings get so weird when comparing across continents. Zwolle is 3 spots below the Red Bulls USL team. Fortuna would be the 9th highest team in USL.

Anyway, an Eredivisie move would be good, so long as he can help the team stay up and perform more consistently than he did last season. I'm not sure Zwolle is the place for him to steal a starting role though - they play with one CF, and the guy there now (Thy) scored 9 in 17 last season and has 2 in 4 already this season. Gonna be tough to dislodge him.

Better a backup role at Zwolle than rotting in the reserves at Reading, in any case.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur :thumbsup:
    He'll find his way even if it's as a super-sub

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennart Thy? Didn’t he used to play for some bigger teams?

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Across continents, it's primarily driven by transfermarkt values. At the lower levels, this reference point is likely less useful -- transfermarkt is not putting effort into USL transfer values, and I don't know that PEC Zwolle gets a lot of attention.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't believe any interest in the club unless the player is announced in a press conference holding the jersey - with a stigmata.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    OK so look at the transfermarkt values. PEC Zwolle is again in line with very bad MLS teams. Look at their budget, in line with the lowest in MLS: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eredivisie/comments/clui87/club_budgets_for_the_201920_season_source_nos/. So by computer ranking, squad value and money they spend, PEC Zwolle is bottom 1/4 of MLS. Any other metrics I can present?

PEC Zwolle gets no attention because they are a really bad team. Outside of the top 6 in the Eredivisie, it's an awful league. I watch both leagues a ton, and they're fairly even.

I think it'd be an OK move for Novakovic. I just don't get why Reading won't let him go. Maybe since he got NT caps, they're hoping for a decent transfer sum?

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He looked meh with Fortuna, maybe they're afraid if once again he looks meh in the Eredivisie his sale value will go down?

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His contract is up at the end of the season, so his sale value for Reading come June 2020 is £0.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of course they'd have to sign an extension before shipping him out.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't see any reason why Novakovich would accept that extension.

I'm under the impression that this Zwolle move, or any other, would be a full transfer rather than a loan.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we have a climactic twist....

1167570402757029889 is not a valid tweet id

I'm cool w/ the move if they have among the better shots at getting promoted so he can back door a top 4 league opportunity. They are historically one of the bigger clubs currently competing in the 2. BL. It's lateral from a Zwolle I'd say, and a discernible upgrade from Sittard. Both have roughly twice the Transfermarkt squad value.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They have the 8th-best promotion odds right now and are currently 17th of 18 in the 2.Bundesliga after 4 games.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1773 m vann, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    The only problem with Bochum......they just fired their manager Robin Dutt and sit next to bottom of the 2BL table after an 0-2-2 start to their season. Not an insurmountable mountain to climb by any stretch. But they are without a manager and there could be some instability. Quite frankly, Yanks have never fared well when in that situation.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nova must be getting used to relegation battles by now.

Gorky and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a transfer not a loan so goes beyond this season, and 8th is better than most, though I wasn't aware of their current place.

If Novakovich is really good he may have put one of these recent Bochum sides over the top. They finished tied for 4th year before last, and 2 years earlier they were 5th.

It's certainly an easier ask than at Reading, who outside of one anomalous year recently, have just been avoiding the drop, and play in a league where they are in a pool of 24 teams as opposed to 18 and 3rd place gets a 4-team playoff instead of 2. Generally, promotion w/in the German system is more controllable.