Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Off to a nice start.

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold your horses, big shooter.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

sakibomb523, TxEx, Pl@ymaker and 9 others repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    By the time Qatar arrives we're going to have half of our squad in the Championship, hopefully some in the top 5/6 teams there that play above MLS level.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    compelling article. I hope someone other than me reads it. I have always been a fan of big forwards. The big Czech, Van Nistelroy, Adaboyor and the list goes on. They are hard to defend and very useful. We got one and nobody gives him much credit. Get it, buddy, and let's make some noise.

6. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I forgot Zlatan!!

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I've said it for years. He reminds me of the other 6'4 Novakovic... the 44 Bundesliga goal scorer Milivoje Novakovic... he was a wonderful talent for many years and aged very well.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    6'5 but def doesn't play like a big guy ala Peter Crouch. Zlatan is a different sorta BEAST.

If Nova could emulate him in only 10% of his game; I'd be thankful.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Have a big man option for the USMNT is never a bad thing. Especially for those late game goals. Why we aren't better on set pieces I will never figure out.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And unlike Jozy he can actually jump.

The problem with Nova is what he's not doing the other 87' he's not trying to shoot/head a ball in.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Miazga signing is a great development for Novakovich from a national team standpoint because now there's a player on the same club who starts sometimes for Uncle Sam who they can draw a direct comparison to. They play different positions, but Miazga mans the much stronger one for the NT in cb. Andrija can play CF or WF (imo). If he scored 20 goals he'd have gotten the nod anyway, but this lowers his threshold to probably just being a regular starter w/ the Royals to prompt inclusion.

Also, you gotta think these two additions to be available the entire season (presumably) improves their chances of promotion. Although most matches are won in midfield. Which other Yank could they sign there to complete the tri-umph? They'd also become must watch from a YA standpoint.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Morales and Horvath. Their goalkeeping situation is dire and they just signed one-foot-in-the-grave Charlie Adam to shore up their midfield.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Horvath is too rich for their blood. Maybe they could return Big Brad to England. Can't get them relegated to the Championship if they're already there.

But Morales is worth a shout in mf. I could see that.

Domestically, some are not going to want to hear it, but they could try Roldan. He may be the only one who has the caps after Nations' League. We'll see if he plays against Canada and how those matches go. If so, in conjunction w/ his solid play against Mexico and Jamaica, as well as MLS, BVB in a friendly, etc.; he'd be of interest to clubs of Reading's ilk and probably above. Just burn the tape from the worse opponents he ironically struggled against.

Another one who could be brought back to England is Lletget.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He definitely is, but the list of American goalkeepers eligible for a work permit who would improve a Championship team is maybe 3 players long. Horvath, Frei, maybe Guzan, and I forgot that Frei had American citizenship when I responded initially.

He needs to step out of his comfort zone. I'm in favor.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm hoping for a blend of the 2017/2019 U20s and most starting in Champion's League teams but whatever.

adam tash repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting SB Nation article about Novakovich's fit w/ Reading and overall skills using a statistical + scouting analysis.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.co...ntial-of-andrija-novakovich-reading-fc-royals

Sort of backs up my theory he may be best used as a wing-forward because it paints him as sub-par w/ his back to goal and an average pure finisher but who shines with the ball at his feet, especially off the dribble. An oddball tall striker who is pigeon-holed. But they don't tackle that question.

However, they do feel like he'll be a much better fit for Reading's possession style than Sittard's transition because he won't have to hold off defenders for as long as a lanky fella or receive balls from as far, so his possession stats project to improve greatly. Also, it reflects his service w/ Sittard was wretched. He took about half the shots as the forwards in the pool he was being compared to. Presuming that wasn't much his fault rather self-apparent lack of quality on the squad, he would have been a 15+ league goal scorer otherwise.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With Nova & Matt Reading has improved his chances not to be relegated. They need to spend some money to avoid finishing barely above the drop.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that Novakovich scored today. The bad news is that it was for Reading's U-23 team.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh! Why is he with the U-23's is the question.....

20. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Let's be optimistic and say they just wanted to get him 90 minutes. There were other first team players with the U-23s, including a couple of Reading's new signings.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Who are the main threats to his PT at Reading?

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Super-injury prone Oliveira, the very green Dani Loader and the ineffective Barrow.

Reading has been playing mainly with a single guy up front, but that's in part due to injuries, in part because they lack a pair of forwards who complement each other well.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Himself. At this stage anyway.

They need new bodies up top. Preferably ones that can score.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench against Chelsea:

25. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    In at the half; has touched the ball maybe twice in the first 10 minutes.