Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice thing is that Stokkers appears to be the only true center-forward of them; all the others are listed in match reports as either wingers or AMs, never CF. Both Telstar and Fortuna used almost exclusively a 4-3-3 last season, and Novakovich was (statistically, at least) more productive than Stokkers despite missing a few more matches due to US international duty vs. Paraguay in late March/early April. Plus, he's five inches taller. I think Nova has a very good chance to start right away. Fortuna's second league match, on 8/18, will be against PSV.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So this guy's comparatively unusual path (by U.S. standards) will have him in the Dutch first division by 22. What do we think of that trajectory?

4. Sometimes sidetracks avoid jams in the main road.

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Go somewhere with realistic access to first team football.

Some places are known to give youth a chance. England is not one of those places anymore.

6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Eredvisie is similar to Portugal that a oligarchy of top clubs are good European sides, but the rest of the league is no where near the talent of other big European leagues. Its perennial juggernauts of Ajax, PSV, and Feyenoord are premier league level clubs. The majority of the rest of the clubs are on par with low Championship level clubs to mid League 1 clubs.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but Reading is a bad Championship club. If he scores say at least 10 goals, Reading fans will bemoning his absence.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  9. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I love the trajectory. I think the lesson is going to a top developmental league when you're young can be a solid career choice. Just have to find the right team/league fit where playing time is likely. I frankly wish more of our players were able to start out in the Netherlands.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #885 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    If that's not an option, maybe they can start out in England at clubs that will send them to the Netherlands. ;)

chad, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have had a number of young alums who performed well in the Netherlands while still considered young players and were able to move on to bigger clubs: DMB, Bradley, Jozy, Bacon, JOB, Miazga, Gibbs (was likely on his way until injury derailed his career)

I can only think of a handful who weren't able to use it to catapult onto something bigger: Nguyen, O'Neill, Robbie Rogers, Agudelo.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But Nguyen used it to become the equivalent of a DP in Vietnam, with a pretty good paycheque (very good for an American player in those days) and significant sponsorship income (as a Vietnamese who'd done good in America, and as a Vietnamese who'd played 1st division football in Europe he was very marketable). word had it that he was making a financial sacrifice by coming back to MLS.

Maybe he did use it to catapult to something bigger, just not bigger in sporting terms.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move. NEW THREAD TITLE: Semper Crescis: Andrija Novaokovich at Fortuna Sittard. @bungadiri - let's do away with this boring thread title and go all gothic!!! ha.

Winoman and bungadiri repped this.
  14. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Nguyen went to Randers first and was a part timer there. I agree the Vietnam move was lucrative and he was marketable, although frankly his first division time in time Europe around 25 appearances over 3+ seasons.

15. I had one, but it got merged with this one.

16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Good thread title.

I will still present mine though:

Andrija did it and he was a Sittard: Novakovich counts his cards in Eredivisie.

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    His last name is spelled wrong in the title

It's Novakovich

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed it, thanks!

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Are there any folks of Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian/Slovenian descent who aren't at least 6'2?

what do those folks drink/eat there?

Winoman repped this.
  20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s genetics.

22. Nope, it's nutrition. Dutch werenot the tallest a century ago, but the improved food and health care made bodies not spending energy on fighting diseases and the better food and saved energy went into growing.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet the fact that the dutch are now well-fed, and are the tallest group even in comparison with equally well-fed people, creates strong proof that height is largely controlled by genetics.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genetics developed from diet in the past, which has continued as a practice in present day to bolster the "advantage". It takes a lot of time to significantly influence genetics through experience passed down for generations.

I also wouldn't say it's how much you eat rather the type of food consumed and how it's spread out. Look at most African descendants. They are some tall blokes. Wouldn't say they were well-fed, but they consumed a lot of meat and dairy, eating big meals to store until the next serving. Meanwhile, look at Asian cuisine. It's a lot of vegetables, grains, fish, and small portions of each.

25. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    ???? Perhaps you are talking about a diet rich in mutagens that can speed up changes in the genetic make up of a group of people!