Andrew Yang will be your next president

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WRONG! Nance is setting this all up in her favor. :thumbsup:

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #903 ceezmad, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    I get to beat @Boloni86 to this one.

They even have the numbers in a different article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/politics/2020-democratic-presidential-candidates-ranked/index.html

But upon further review, maybe just a timing thing, this happens when I try to beat Boloni

1179916004396322816 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc and MatthausSammer repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ummm, the POTUS race already has a a candidate whose supporters launch conspiracy theories about how the media mistreats him. One would seem to be enough.

sitruc repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Rep for the "But upon further review." The gang can be worse than the bros especially since there is more alt-right inside of it.

xtomx and MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Colbert impressed with Yanger's skateboarding skillz (starts around 1 minute mark)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here is an update on how a Universal Basic Income pilot program is working in Stockton, California so far:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019...sic-income-pilot-economic-empowerment/599152/

This is relevant to Yang's proposal. Critics of the program worry that it will backfire, as people will not have an incentive to look for work, or may spend the money irresponsibly. Those are valid concerns, but so far in Stockton it does not appear to be a problem.

Boloni86, Moishe, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's not impressive. Certainly not for his age. I'm older and better, today, right now.

Most of his generation never did anything for real but ride around scraping the paint off stair rails and chipping concrete benches. Five'll get you twenty he's never been in a bowl or half-pipe in his life. Probably couldn't pick Tony Alva out of a police lineup.

sitruc, Cascarino's Pizzeria and xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "not have an incentive to look for work" is bullcrap.

It is the same racist nonsense talking point going back to St. Reagan's "welfare Queen" (who went to jail), while corporations, oil companies, and the rich in general continue to suckle at the government teats, as they always have.

The problem with Yang's idea is that it provides $12,000 a year to the 2/3 rds of the country who do not need it and it replaces much of the current safety net. It is a waste of money.

Done strategically, it could be successful. As Yang proposes it, it will not be successful.

sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #910 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Ironically street skating accelerated this 80s icon's downfall until he was picked out of a lineup:

gator-2.jpg

luftmensch repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    See? TA never killed anybody.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Bah....back in my day i'da crushed all of you! :cool:

upload_2019-10-6_9-40-54.jpeg

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know a girl who roller skated park pools. She did Roller Derby for several years, too.

I never could roller skate worth a shit, and was always jealous of that bounce thing y'all do

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I found that roller skating @ Riverside Park in Agawam, Ma was a great place to get dates. It was much better than ♫ standing on the corner watching all the girls go by. :whistling:

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My BIL always gets the cool gadgets.
    When I was in HS he got me a pair of rollerblades which only hockey players and Olympians really used back then. I slapped them on and said "this will be just like roller skates" I took them down the steep hill that led to the paved path to the elementary school. Didnt think of using the rubber brake in the back. I hit the hump where the street met the path and I must've flown 5 feet in the air and right on my tuchis. Luckily landed on the grass.

That wasn't as bad as the injuries we'd sustain racing Pathmark shopping carts down the same hill as yoots. :D

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think it's bullcrap. A society that functions well should have the type of safety net that encourages the acrobats to get back to the trapeze - so to speak - rather than to stay on the safety net for life. That is the purpose of the safety net. Giving people cash has to be looked at and studied within that context. So, I am encouraged by the pilot program in Stockton, which shows that properly applied it can work.

I agree that Yang's proposal has to be fine-tuned, but it is an intriguing alternative to deal with the problem of those who need help. Especially considering that in today's brave new world in which technological changes are so much more prevalent, and people are constantly needing to adapt and get new skills, more and more people will at times need some type of a safety net.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    We've built our entire society on the notion that you don't eat if you don't work. But in the near future, there aren't going to be nearly enough jobs for everyone to work. So UBI is not just about safety nets, we actually need to incentive people NOT to work.

luftmensch repped this.
  19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm willing to not work, but I need to have something to do. All the government has to do to incentivize me is to provide me an environment where I can play futbol and dance tango whenever I feel like it.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I got an old deck out back that needs to be ripped out. All the chicharron & empanadas you can eat. :D

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way Buckminster Fuller put the issue. Idealistic? Yeah, maybe, but it also makes a lot of sense. People tinkering around with their passions sometimes produce really cool shit even when they aren't obviously working toward anything in particular.

[​IMG]

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saudi Arabia does this, they just import (with thigh restrictions) poor immigrants to do all the work.

Which is another question of UBI.

Will just citizens be able to collect UBI?

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I do not know about the end of the quote "think about what ever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along & told them they had to earn a living"

In historical terms, if you didn't you starved to death.

In modern times, there are only so many years that you can live off your parents.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Surely citizens only. It would be a political non-starter otherwise (if it is not already), plus that would be illogical.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, work still needs to be done. Yesterday I was home because my dryer stopped working. The guy came in and replaced a part and it's all good. But if no one is actually working for a living, whaddayagonnado when the pipes freeze and you need a plumber or you want to build a new deck for your house (with your extra 12 grand)? Unless you're good enough to do these things yourself (which most of us aren't) there won't be anyone left.

It's nice to have poets and artists, but it's tough to make a living doing that. We can't have everyone as a poet or an artist. Someone has to sit at home and drink beer and watch TV all day, otherwise society, as we know it, will crumble.