Andrew Yang will be your next president

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Feb 24, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to not know his history of posting, which is not fully being misogynistic, but certainly him being sexist. That was the point of saying "he came back," making two posts on his return which show the same beliefs he had in the past.

sitruc repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't say "super misogyny." Maybe somebody else did.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Warren hates PSG.

sitruc, Moishe, luftmensch and 5 others repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Doesn't everyone?

xtomx and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You'll have to excuse me if I don't fully take your assessment of his postings in the spirit in which you intend.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If she's the Dem candidate you can bet that "shrill" will be one of the more mild disses that Trumplicans throw at her.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Shrill, humorless, nasty. The same as was said of Hillary. With Trump of course being worse on all three accounts, but people don't say that about men.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I can post it here also.

here is Yang's Climate change policy.

He does want to help nuclear (I did not see if he talked about what to do with nuclea waste).

He does not dislike the green new deal.

He is in favor of a carbon tax (he calls it a fee).

https://www.yang2020.com/blog/climate-change/

Boloni86 repped this.
  9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "leaders" I mean inspiring folks to want to follow them, which is different than actually running things well. I picked out Reagen/Kennedy/Obama as leaders in the charismatic sense. I hold everyone to the same standard. You can't browbeat feel into being inspired.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the reps do and what the idea says are different things.

Again concentrating just on improving supply regardless of demand is a bad idea, you need to look into both.

But I am not sure if the theory cares about marginal taxes, since most economic theories think of it in a world with freedom of trade (not always reality, specially with the new tariffs).

So supply should not be affected by higher taxes as one, that affects incomes and 2 in free trade supply production would move to where it is economically better, so in theory if taxes makes companies move production, that should not have an effect in supply (again if trade is free).

I guess that in theory the higher taxes would help demand if they are redistributed efficiently in a way that the benefits outweigh the negatives, more spending over saving for example.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are engaging in a very common categorical error. Look into the work of Amos Tversky. Then reflect on the errors of your thinking.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If the guy is white, wearing a cowboy hat, speaks in a drawl, and has an American flag plastered on the back of his pickup truck, he probably prefers Donald Trump to Barack Obama.

Amos ain't going to prove me wrong about that.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a confederate flag, or both.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #764 Jazzy Altidore, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    It seems close to undisputed that Neymar was wrongly accused of rape. Noting that makes me a sexist? That's a classical heuristic error. Are the journalists who wrote the article sexist as well? It appears that, in your view, reasonable people can't disagree about the complex issues of sexism and rape allegations. This makes you a much greater part of the problem in today's society than me.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Noting that doesn't make you sexist. But feeling the need to note that? That might say something.

russ, sitruc, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I am in many ways a bad lefty on this topic. I've been chided frequently for "blaming the victim."

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread is about whether or not a "rape culture" exists. Many folks on the "definitely exists" side of the discussion routinely argue that false rape claims almost never happen. They also point to specific examples of rape in the news as evidence that rape culture exists. But some disagree as to the extent of rape culture, so pointing to counterpoints in the media is definitely relevant--unless you only want news stories that align with your political POV? A world famous soccer player was wrongly accused of rape. That seems like an appropriate topic within the thread.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, that was what i was getting at. The reporters had to cover Neymar. That was their jobs, they had no choice. But when we post, we are under no such obligation.

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll repeat the point; why does Warren, and you called out Warren alone on this point, need to be a "leader", especially when you distinguish that from running things well? Running things well should be the important bit right?

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lengthy discussion about the allegations against Ronaldo. If that was appropriate for conversation, so is a discussion about the allegations against Neymar.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #771 Jazzy Altidore, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Of course it is, but human beings are apes. We often pick leaders based on subjective, irrational feelings. It isn't the only criteria, but charisma matters. I discussed Warren because I thought that was the topic of conversation.

I'm also trying to be more careful with my words, so I've replaced "leadership" with "charisma."

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there certainly are some human beings who act like apes...

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the bonobo-esque ones myself.

soccernutter repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say we are the worst of all the apes.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humans are literal apes friend. Humans are in fact among the Great Apes, although we seem to have fallen away from our ape roots. Please help me Make Apes Great Again.