Andrew Yang will be your next president

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @dr wankler Tapped out after the first chapter of Devine Compensation. What garbage

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Glad we finally got that cleared up.

Anyway, movements like a Ron Paul cult, or a bitcoin cult, or an Elon Musk or Andrew Yang cult (I'm guessing there may be some overlap between those last two) can make more sense if one stops thinking about them in terms of clear ideological or policy positions, and sees them more in terms of group identity

They all represent different forms of "me and my internet friends are visionaries with unique insight into how the world works." As long as that condition's met, a movement can form, and the actual policy or ideological posture seems pretty negotiable.

Why is Yang able to call for massive government intervention and redistribution, and still get a Ron Paul-esque following? Maybe because he bases his idea on the claim that robots and AI will change everything - which then becomes another variation on the obligatory "tech nerds understand everything better than everyone else does" perspective.

Not implying anything derogatory against nerds in general; I am one, by about any accepted definition of the term. And they've done a decent job coming up with an idol this time - Yang seems thoughtful, has some interesting and innovative positions and is at the very least more suited for the presidency than the current occupant.

I don't buy into UBI as a good solution for the socioeconomic challenges of automation, though. And having your would-be presidential standard-bearer publically debating Ben Shapiro about his stance on circumcision is not ideal.

russ, xtomx, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I read the scary parts!

Matt in the Hat repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because UBI is a Milton Friedman idea.Thats how he connects with the Ron Paul set. It's been around since the 70's

As for talking to Shapiro, he should talk with everyone who will listen. Adjacency is a weak form of implication.

Moishe, Q*bert Jones III and Timon19 repped this.
  5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the true hero

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started reading that on vacation a few years ago, did not have time to finish it, and have yet to get back to it.

Fascinating stuff, as far as I got. Probably won't get around to picking it back up (and likely starting over) until this pesky dissertation is off my plate.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's sometimes pretty stunning that smart people choose to ignore these sorts of things.

On the other hand, some form of UBI has been adopted by any number of populists of several stripes, as well (implementation and details obviously differing). It's no secret that a number of righty populists in this country thought that libertarianism was their bag for their own reasons, never really grokking the bigger, more foundational ideas. It's those who have largely migrated.

Yep.

Moishe repped this.
  8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not looking forward to "Ben Shapiro Destroys [X] With FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ? You must be against free speech and honest inquiry.

The internet is academia for people who know everything and understand nothing.

And yes, I'm on social media too so I'm guilty of helping skew the noise-to-signal ratio a little bit closer to peak cacophony myself.

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll let you know when I get my Watch bigredfutbol in BEAST MODE!!! compilation up on Youtube.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be the most blanket nothing statement I have read all week.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neat.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll start preparing my "ACTUALLY, we're a republic not a democracy" lecture so you have some content.

13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was a bad idea then and a bad idea now.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    $12,000...c'mon dude. I'd only get outta bed and to the liquor store for $100K.

And as Republicans have taught us - deficits don't matter. Charge!

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get that shit delivered

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Personally, anybody who debates or considers Ben Shapiro a serious person at this point should not run for any public office. I can't take them seriously.

Ben Shapiro is smarter than this and he chooses to be a grifter. It's why he is hawking nutritional supplements and it's why his "debates" are more about winning the debate than actually debating an issue. While he complains that the other side does not debate issues. He chooses money over substance, while acting like he cares about the substance.

The point where I said he can't be redeemed is after the Montreal domestic terror incident. The Canadian court was presented with the list of the times the criminal went on twitter and who he looked up. The list was basically a smorgasboard of far right, KKK, alt-right, infowars, breitbart, etc. The person who he looked up the most by a pretty significant margin was Shapiro. I can understand Shapiro choosing not to take blame or apologizing or taking some responsibility just because of self preservation (it's a human response). The part that really bothered me was that he chose not to reflect and maybe make a slight pivot away, he decided to double down. He should be smart enough to do a little soul searching.

sitruc, bigredfutbol, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not sure how seriously he takes his audience. His supplements cost three times the most expensive, comparable item at GNC. That suggests he's in it primarily for the grift, and that he's more than willing to rip off his fans.

bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have given policies. I am asking how they would get implemented - how his political ability would lead to success.

Btw, are you okay with Yang being anti-circumcision? That is a recognized health issue.

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I was right to say that this is an unanswerable question. Obama thought he would do it with beer summits. Trump thought he would use bully force. Clinton thought he would use charm. It didn't exactly work out for any of them.

I don't care. He's not going to ban them.

21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Who cares...but if he wants to ban Capt'n Crunch he won't get a certain person's vote! :sneaky:

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it doesn't bother you he is promoting an unhealthy practice?

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do.

https://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. Three randomized controlled trials have shown that male circumcision provided by well trained health professionals in properly equipped settings is safe. WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence.

xtomx repped this.
  24. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are for torturing babies for some partial protection against something that few people are at risk for when there are much better preventatives available?

If you want a circumcision, get one when you are an adult.

Q*bert Jones III and Pønch repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm confused. You're saying "doing nothing" is a "practice", and you're also suggesting compelling a modification of the body because said "practice" is unhealthy?