Andrew Gutman at Cincinnati (on loan from Celtic)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can you tell us which league that German offer is from?

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    C'mon... everyone knows..

[​IMG]

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean, I assume that, but there are some lousy players at the lower end of the Bundesliga.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann, eliwood and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pegasus, TarHeels17, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1083278384061472769 is not a valid tweet id

Celtic Bible, a usually reliable insider, says both deals for Gutman and Manny Perez deals are done. Christmas came late for this Celtic dude with a Yank trifecta of Weah, Gutman, and Perez! I’ve waited for years and years and years for this!

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    this is exciting. i was happy to see gutman had real options in europe. i'm absolutely thrilled to see him land at celtic though.

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Celtic are a more prestigious club and a bigger/better platform than any MLS club. The Scottish league isn't very good at all, but MLS will always be there as a fall back option, so he has to take this oppurtunity. Good for him.

@m vann where do you see him sliding in on the depth chart? Will he get a chance? What about Manny Perez?

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives said on Twitter that he thought Manny may be loaned to the North Carolina USL team.

11. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As per Galarcep: “I’m told Scottish giant Celtic has completed the signing of Indiana University standout and Hermann Award winner Andrew Gutman. That’s a big blow for the Chicago Fire, which had offered the left back a sizable homegrown player contract.”

He will join Timothy Weah in what we hope to be a fruitful landing place for Yanks Abroad. Perhaps the new Rangers for US players for the next decade. He’s seasoned, MAC Hermann winner and seemingly confident enough to turn down Homegrown money to fight for a place in Glasgow. Good on ‘ya brotha.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I heard on Sirus soccer channel Chicago was unwilling to sign him to anything other than a low ball offer. MLS supposedly sweetened the pot but Chicago shopped his rights..

" If he doesn't sign in Scotland, Tenorio reports that the Fire are shopping his Homegrown rights on the trade market." From the MLS website.

"Homegrown Players, who are players that are signed directly from a team’s academy, do not count against a team’s budget. Major League Soccer have attempted to raise Gutman’s domestic offer to keep him in MLS, with many other sides interested." From onefootball website

largegarlic repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the Manny thread. I addressed the RB situation and his prospects there.

14. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread Name Change? How about:

What a Punch to the Gut, Man: Andrew Spurns Chi-Town For Celtic

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please, no.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to expound on “Please, no”? It’s witty alliteration.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No one in Chicago calls it Chi-Town. The rest is good, just hard pass on the part I bolded.

ttrevett repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the skinny...... as I addressed in the Perez thread there will be a major clear out of outside backs this summer. The outside backs have been a weak link. It's as simple as that. They haven't defended well and can't get up and down the pitch like Rodgers likes. RB's Lustig and Gamboa are aging and have under-performed. Ralston, a youngster, has looked over his head in his handful of appearances at RB. Gamba and Lustig are likely to exit this summer. The LB spot is Kieran Tierney's but he's been plagued with a hamstring and now a hip injury in which he's been out since their EL clash with RB Leipzig. It's emerged today that hip needs surgery. Emilio Izzaguire, in his place, was looked slow and passed it. Shame because he's had a stellar Celtic career but his return from a Middle East stint has been bad. He will exit in the summer. With Izzy's form and the uncertainty of Tierney's hip, Gutman has a very realistic chance of being on the bench immediately for Rodgers. I think he's the only active LB behind Izzy. It also should be noted when healthy Tierney has had plenty of interest from down South. Several PL and Championship promotion hopefuls are eyeing him. At 21, the time might be right to sell especially if Gutman shows promise.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show the Bhoys your Gutman! - Andrew Gutman @ Celtic

20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It's pronounced gootman fwiw.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us who aren't familiar with college soccer, this is a real welcome surprise. I hope this uptick in movement abroad to well known clubs with the hope of playing time in the near term is not a fluke but a trend.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    #48 brjohnson, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    gutman was really impressive at iu, especially on the offensive side. respectable 1v1 defense (on the college level mind you) and a fiery, tenacious player. his ceiling is higher than villafana's, probably not quite that of robinson. doesnt have robinson's athletic ability and we'll see how the skill he's shown translates to the pros, but will 'try shit' and excels in combination play. doesnt lack in confidence and plays like someone who idolizes marcelo. hopefully he develops into a respectable pro defender at celtic and enters national team consideration, because his offensive ability is already promising. some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=1u7CeeJUE_c

24. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Das Gut!!!

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "It's All Gut: Andrew Gutman at Rangers" should suffice.

Or is it bad form to pitch thread titles before the signing has been announced?