Andrew Gutman at Cincinnati (on loan from Celtic)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 18, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    How about the work permit question? Does he hold an EU passport?

5. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe either Matt or Andrew hold EU passports.

Getting a UK work permit is a lot easier in Scotland than England.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #6 luvdagame, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    something's changing.

why are euro offers being made for ordinary to good mls & ncaa players?

is it because the commish decreed us to be a selling league?

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1) MLS is getting better, so there's more international interest in "ordinary to good" MLS players.

2) Polster and Gutman are both out of contract, which has always been a time that MLS players seek moves to less prestigious European leagues.

Winoman repped this.
  8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    gotcha.

makes sense.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll add that any player with an option to get the ******** out of Chicago who doesn't take a serious look at it is completely insane. :p

TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ChuckMe92 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If this move does have legs and Gutman can get a work permit, what competition does he have at LB at Rangers?

Transfermarkt has them with two listed LB: Lee Wallace (31) and Borna Barisic (26). Wallace has played 49 minutes this season and is out of contract in May. Barisic arrived from Osijek in Croatia this summer, has 4 caps for Croatia (made their World Cup preliminary squad), and has been Rangers's regular starter when not injured.

Former Liverpool fullback Jon Flanagan has deputized at left back, but has clearly fallen out of favor with Gerrard. Andrew Halliday, a DM by trade, has also filled in. He seems like a decent professional; his career pinnacle is either this stint with Rangers or his time with Middlesbrough in the Championship. He did, however, spend time on loan with Azerbaijani giants Qarabag last season, so that suggests that Rangers might not value him too much.

So, knowing absolutely nothing about Gutman, his style of play, or his ability, it seems like the opportunity is there for him to at least be a rotational option in the Rangers defense.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not enough quality or of course international appearances to get work permits for either of them.

color me confused.

it's all a sham. no?

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know @bshredder has said several times that a Scottish work permit is easier to obtain but I confess not to knowing what the process entails exactly.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From some (brief) research, the automatic qualification is the same as England, but the appeals process is more lenient because it takes less ability to be classified as "improving the game" in Scotland.

Winoman repped this.
  15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.. it's all going to have to go through appeals. Which is just stating your case and convincing a board that you have the resume to justifying being a positive asset to the SPL.

Manny is going to build his case around being a key player for a strong U.S. U-20 team with a ton of potential.

If Matt accepts the Rangers deal, he's going to have to say he's been a very good MLS player for a number of years while being on the fringe of the U.S. national team

If Andrew accepts the Rangers deal he will build his case around being perhaps the best college player in the country last year at very difficult position of left back.

16. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I want to add that an Occam's Razor argument too. I feel like this applies to all the flurry of movement that we've seen the past 18 months. I will also add that Gerrard looking to the MLS and NCAA confirms what we've known for awhile. The MLS is a standard far above the Scottish prem.

1) MLS's investment in developing youth combined with maybe a generational difference from the parenting side of things in terms of how early and intensely they focus on soccer has resulted in more talent.

2) The success of McKennie and Pulisic cannot be overlooked. You had two free players that were able to be rotational players for Champions League teams within 18 months of arrival? Add Sargent to the list (sans Breder being mid to bottom table).

3) Basically because of the lack of compensation fees for training American youth are the recent moneyball play for European clubs that focus on developing and then selling youth. Super low risk, very high reward.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did this in Football Manager all the time, so I fully endorse this strategy.

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 bshredder, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Wins the Hermann Trophy as the best player in college for 2018

TxEx, Tom Collingsworth, eliwood and 3 others repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still considering his options, I suppose?

20. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.. we’ll know next week with him and Polster

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It will be interesting to see if Gutman winning the Hermann increases the offer he gets from MLS/Chicago.

Traditionally, MLS has put a premium on signing the Hermann. They've only lose three to Europe since the league started (Wojtek Krakowiak, Joseph Lapira, Marcus Tracy) though with college soccer and the SuperDraft (and yes, I know Gutman wouldn't be in the draft) not being as impactful in MLS as it used to be, the league might just shrug off losing the Hermann winner.

I doubt MLS will match what Rangers is offering, but between an offer from a European team and the Hermann, Gutman will have about as much leverage as a college senior can have these days.

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and Scotty repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Will be interesting to see how the WP process plays out for these two. (Gutman & Polster)

25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From talks I've had this morning, they feel pretty good about getting work permits for both.

Here's what I know: both are probably going to decide by Sunday. Chicago wants one last meeting with both later in the week.

Celtic's offer to Gutman is a little stronger than Rangers. If Gutman makes the jump abroad, it'll probably be Celtic.

Matt also has an offer from a German team but I think Rangers have a better offer.

I'd be surprised if Matt stays in Chicago - but that is just my gut telling me that.